#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-23-2015, 11:43 PM   #43
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Well fellas it looks like a CBR1000R for me in red, white , blue. Any particular riding apparel you all favor? Jackets, Helmets, and gloves I have covered but what about pants?
if you can't handle the 1000 mentally the 600 will kill you sooner because you will loose respect for it quicker. Get the 1000 now and you'll be afraid of it (great) you'll get the feel for it and as you grow you won't grow out of it.
I respect the other guys that dogged my other posts I understand them 100% they have probably seen good guys die on these wingless fighter jets ...but you didn't ask about a spit wad vs a 50 cal... get the 250 not 600 if you can't control yourself.....you know your head we don't.. btw don't get laced boots ever!

Last edited by Jsafe17; 03-23-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #44
MiniSuperDuke

Drives: BadAss
There are other options between the 600 and 1000. Gsxr750 is a beast. You should sit on some bikes and get a feel for how you fit on specific bikes. There's no substitute for riding the bike before you buy it.

Riding dirt bikes and Harleys will give you some level of experience but crotch rockets are so much more and it can,all go bad in a fraction of a second. I rode dirt bikes as a kid. Now at 50 been riding for 35 years everything from harleys to crotch rockets to hybrids. My current ride is a triumph rocket and it's my favorite yet.

Looking to get into to riding track this summer and won't buy the fastest thing out there. Probably a rc51, vtwin 1000. It is plenty fast and I want to focus on control and skills.
MiniSuperDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #45
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Call the guys at riders discount 1-866-931-6644. Tell them you are buying a sport bike and you need gear. Or go to ridersdiscount.Com revzilla.Com sportbiketrackgear.Com ironpony.Com rockymountainatv.com and look at the riding gear in their sport bike sections. Along what gear to wear is like asking what oil to put in your vehicle. There are so many options and price ranges. I wouldn't buy the cheapest stuff available it may get the job done but protection and comfort go a long way on a sport bike. There's no need to buy the most expensive stuff either. Dainese and Sidi are top quality but have a higher price. Alpinestars speed and strength and Icon are good quality at a decent price but are more style oriented. AGV is lower quality and price but works well. I went down at a track day in a AGV sit at 65-70 mph in a curve walked away with no injuries at all. But the comfort was lacking.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #46
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I respect what you guys are saying. Can you link me to some gear, just a few recommendations. It would be a big help.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm wanting to get into riding sometime this fall and I've done a lot of research and looking around on bike forums looking for recommendations as far as gear goes.

Every thing I've read says do not cheap out on boots or gloves. The top injuries received during a crash is broke shin bones from hitting pegs, broken ankles, and broken knuckles. On boots buy motorcycle specific boots with built in shin protectors and they must provide lateral ankle support. Here's what I'm wanting to get http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...rs-smx-6-boots. For gloves, you're better off not buying gloves with carbon fiber knuckle protectors because carbon fiber has a tendency to shatter, buy gloves with plastic knuckle protectors.

For pants, again buy motorcycle specific pants. They will not only provide better knee protection then what you posted but they will also provide hip protection and a lot better abrasion resistance. In a slide you will spend most of your time on your side or your back, areas where those GI pants won't protect you.

Imo, while leather does provide you the best abrasion resistance, leather jackets don't breath and get really hot fast especially during late spring to early fall. A quality textile jacket will still provide you ample protection during street applications and will keep you a lot cooler during the hot months.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:24 AM   #47
mar10

Leather jackets breath fine especially the perforated ones. Textile jackets are good for low speeds but they have a tendency to be worn loose and the slack can bind up and cause you to roll instead of slide.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #48
cypressh
Canadian

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Oh man Hayabusa's are Gods. That bike would scare the crap out of me. What are you wearing for boots?

I have a Simpson Outlaw Bandit coming tomorrow, Oakley gloves with carbon fiber on the knuckles, Roland Sands Leather with armor, AVG pants with Kevlar, and Oakley Assault boots.

I have a full Joe Rocket suit (Pants and Jacket) with Kevlar inserts in both jacket and pants, (elbows, spine saver, shoulders, knees, shins) as well as leather gauntlet style gloves, and zip up high leather boots that I picked up from the local riding shop. all my gear is matte black including helmet, but my jacket has the reflective strips on it. Im still a "learner" so I cant ride at night (1/2 hour before sunrise till 1/2 hour after sunset)
cypressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #49
pcrdude

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I'll chime in here, but I do expect to be ignored or piled on....

I've been hit by cars twice on the street. The first time resulted in skin grafts, and the second was nearly fatal. I know (like a previous poster) what a broken pelvis feels like. I also broke my femur, and both ankles. I ride ATGATT (all the gear, all the time).

Here is my advice. On the street, don't play around. You can be hyper aware, and still get creamed. The road is not a racetrack. Save the play time for the track.

https://youtu.be/VruWHHEnZGw

I ride a LOT, and ride what's called "The Pace". You don't need a hyper-fast bike on the street to do that.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16...riding-skills/

OK, time to dogpile and give me grief.....

BTW, my bike is a Yamaha FJR. 0-60 in 3 seconds, and the 1/4 in 11 flat.

Last edited by pcrdude; 03-24-2015 at 08:45 AM.
pcrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #50
mar10

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ne-westby-rip/

This is sad but I think it should be pointed out here. Dane Westby was a professional racer who has rode bikes most of his life. He lost control of his 650 street bike and it cost him his life. When things go wrong on a sportbike it happens in a hurry. The bigger the engine the faster bad things can happen and the harder it is to fix mistakes.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #51
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Well said gentleman! You all have been a huge help. I'm gonna go take a look at some bikes before I go any further just to see what exactly it is I'm in for.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #52
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Ouch! Are you still riding today? I hope they gave you some decent drugs to dull the pain.

This is what I have for gear.

This leather with shoulder, arm, and back armor.

Oakley Assault Boots. I get them for cheap because I'm military.

These are G3 combat pants with knee pads on the outside. I figure if I my knee touches the ground they'll give me some protection. Unless you guys have a different recommendation for me.

Finally Oakley Factory Gloves, carbon fiber in the knuckles.

I'm going back and forth with which bike to choose. Knowing me my mind will be made up the instant I walk in to the showroom.

Stefano Bimbo who owns Nickey Super Cars is a former pro racer. He can fill me in on some techniques.

I had a drunk run me over on Labor Day for no reason. Knocked me down and I slide a long way about 40mph. People target bikers. Never caught his plate but the insurance paid me in full.

I'll have a look at those Suzuki's though.
Unfortunately my 2 wheel day's are over, not that im afraid after that last crash, I'd race today if i could. I just cant risk it at this point of my life i would lose my job and house. Thankfully i do have a 1LE so at least i still get to play
Old 03-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #53
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Unfortunately my 2 wheel day's are over, not that im afraid after that last crash, I'd race today if i could. I just cant risk it at this point of my life i would lose my job and house. Thankfully i do have a 1LE so at least i still get to play
Check out Oakley. They are a military contractor for the U.S. and Law Enforcement and if their gear is good enough for the LAW and our warriors overseas their gear is no joke. Spec ops and SWAT all use them. Very protective gear.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #54
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Check out Oakley. They are a military contractor for the U.S. and Law Enforcement and if their gear is good enough for the LAW and our warriors overseas their gear is no joke. Spec ops and SWAT all use them. Very protective gear.
Different type of protection, though. I wouldn't ride with that.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #55
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Check out Rhok jeans. They are good for riding around town.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #56
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Drives: '13 1LS
Quote:
As was mentioned that's a completely different kind of protective gear. There's a reason you don't see Oakley riding gear in any kind of road racing that's done(WSBK or MotoGP). And as much as I love Oakley(love their sunglasses) I wouldn't wear their riding gear at all. When it comes to gear, get good to excellent stuff. People's opinions will vary on what's good to excellent. But basically anything Alpinestars, Dainese, AGV, Joe Rocket, Sidi, Rev It Up, Spidi is good stuff.

A basic breakdown of my gear:

Joe Rocket Speedmaster 1-pc - $800
AGV Corsa Sole Luna Helmet - $899
Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves - $250
Alpinestars SMX-6 Boots - $275
Alpinestars Bionic Race back protector - $150

That's around $2400 wrapped up in just gear. HAHA! I only paid $2700 for my 03 GSX-R1000 two years ago. Well worth the investment and I didn't even get the best of the best(top tier) gear. The only top tier I own is my new helmet(the helmet I have on in the video is my old one). It's a carbon fiber/aramite blend race helmet for track days and cause I'm a huge Rossi fan.

So yeah man, check into some good gear. Stuff that's actually designed for sportbike riding in mind. It only makes sense to wear gear that has proven pedigree on the racetrack. If it's good enough for racers, it's good enough for you.

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back), gun metal hash marks, black outs for Camaro and Chevy badges, Vitesse Throttle Controller

The Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote