Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Do you think the UAW is taking the correct action?
Hell Yes! Keep U.S. Jobs in the U.S. 5 16.67%
Hell No! Stop screwing GM and get back to work! 7 23.33%
Just build my damn Camaro. 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #43
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
This author is talking about the same topic of "laid off" workers, but they word it much more clearly.

Quote:
The strike also affected GM plants and suppliers at locations where workers are not represented by UAW.

On Tuesday, GM idled two car assembly lines employing about 5,600 people at its plant in Oshawa, Ontario. On Monday, it idled a transmission plant in Windsor, Ontario, that employs 1,300. Workers at both plants are represented by the Canadian Auto Workers union.

Parts shortages forced GM to cancel one shift Tuesday at a Moraine, Ohio, assembly plant that makes sport utility vehicles. The plant's 2,300 workers are represented by the International Union of Electronic Workers-Communication Workers.

Delphi Corp., GM's largest supplier, said Tuesday it was temporarily laying off workers. Spokesman Lindsey Williams wouldn't give numbers because the situation was in flux. Delphi has about 25 U.S. plants that supply parts for GM.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #44
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
hmm...well very glad to know it's all over!!!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
ooh!!! I'm out of the loop...well, What did they finally agree on?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #46
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No word on specifics yet but rumors don't look good for the workers. Just my perspective of course.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #47
hollyt

Drives: 2003 corvette
Quote:
Breaking down the GM Strike: who got what
Posted Sep 26th 2007 11:35AM by John Neff
Filed under: GM, Earnings/Financials, UAW/Unions

The GM strike lasted less than 40 hours, not even two full days. For UAW president Ron Gettelfinger, however, it was just enough time to secure for his members the concessions he wanted. So which side blinked after 40 hours of staring the other down? It's tough to tell, but the UAW's main sticking point was job security, and it was looking for a guarantee that production for new models wouldn't be moved outside the United States. This is the issue that initiated the strike, and it appears that GM did change its mind and offer the UAW some type of broad job guarantee for the duration of this 4-year contract. Here's how the whole deal breaks down as we see it.

UAW got:

An independent retiree health care trust that will be funded with enough money from GM to remain solvent for 80 years
Undisclosed job guarantees that we expect includes a promise of investment in particular U.S. plants in preparation for production of new models
GM will hire up to 5,000 temporary workers as full-time employees
Signing bonuses of an undisclosed amount for all UAW members who sign the contract
Wage increases of 3% in first year, 4% in second and 3% in third

GM got:

$50 billion in health care liability off its back after a large one-time payout into independent retiree health care trust
Two-tier wage structure, as those 5,000 new hires who were previously temp will be brought in at their current wage of $18/hour, rather than the $28/hour current full-timers earn
Undisclosed revisions in the Jobs Bank program that continues to pay laid-off employees
Reduction in labor cost to produce vehicles, though might not be realized right away
Next up for the UAW is either Ford Motor Company or Chrysler LLC. It has yet to decide which of the remaining domestics it will negotiate with next, but we're anxious to see if one contract already in place will make the next two go smoother.

[Source: http://www.autoblog.com/tag/strike/]
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #48
Mr. Wyndham

$28 per hour?
Then why did I hear 45, or something high, somewhere...

and I don't know about the rest of you - but this particular note kinda makes me happy:
Quote:
Undisclosed job guarantees that we expect includes a promise of investment in particular U.S. plants in preparation for production of new models
Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #49
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Quote:
$28 per hour?
Then why did I hear 45, or something high, somewhere...

and I don't know about the rest of you - but this particular note kinda makes me happy:
They told on the ABC's evening news yesterday that their wages were $45 an hour. They also said that this is frozen for 4 years now, so it will definitely stay at that much, which is what worries me because the price of GM's vehicles is going to have to go up. This is exactly why, IMO, GM has been have financial problems.

What is keeping the Ford, Toyota, Nissan, etc. employees happy???
Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #50
Mr. Wyndham

US-based Toyota workers aren't happy...
Remember that article a while back about them trying to form thier own Union, because the Toyota management was treating them like crap?

and Ford...the UAW just hasn't targeted them yet...It's all the same UAW (for the domestics).
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #51
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
$45 an hour??? Are you serious???
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #52
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
According to ABC news anyway, they said that the GM Union Workers are getting paid $45 an hour... Why am I even going to school?! I can go 20 miles down the road to Bowling Green and work at the Corvette plant!! lol

They also said yesterday evening on the ABC News that Retirees from GM and the UAW have better health insurance than current employees...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #53
Pencil.Fight

that's $45 an hour when you factor in the benefits and bonuses. Most line workers make around $28 an hour. Which still sounds pretty decent to me. I wouldn't be complaining.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #54
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
that's $45 an hour when you factor in the benefits and bonuses. Most line workers make around $28 an hour. Which still sounds pretty decent to me. I wouldn't be complaining.
Exactly. Healthcare, bonuses, vacation time that can be turned in, etc. All of it factors in to give them about $45/hr....by the way, that's roughly $90K a year....I don't know about you, but my wife and I combined make about that. She's part time, but still....think how many husband/wife duos work for GM too....

That's what kills me.....you hear all those striking workers..."we just want what's fair". Fair? You make 90K a year, your healthcare coverage is very good, your vacation time is incredible, great pension after you retire, all that, and then you have the audacity to demand guaranteed jobs. On top of that, you walk off the job when you don't get exactly what you want only to have your job still waiting for you when you decide to come back.

BS....I don't make that much money, I don't get those great benefits, I don't get that pension (or any for that matter), I can't demand a guaranteed job. And, if I walked off the job because my "demands" were not met, there is no way in hell I could just come back after I gave in on my demands.

Fair. Seems to me, the union workers have a very jaded view of what's fair.

How about giving me a 500+ HP Camaro for $25K that will get in the low 20's for mpg, not cost me an arm and a leg for insurance, with a good build quality...then we'll revisit their viewpoint of fair.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #55
Pencil.Fight

Amen to that.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #56
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
$28/hour current full-timers earn
SOOO I could have skipped 4 years of school and make more than I do now, by working in a factory.. wow isn't that just wonderful...

And why do we tell our kids to stay in school?

Almost makes me want the us auto industry to collapse into a cesspool ..