Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #43
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Based off of OP's original post.
After owning well over a dozen "modern muscle cars", Ive concluded that a strong 80% of these 'mods' are only for weight savings. The more you spend on the car, the lighter your wallet gets-therby, faster.
When it comes to performance, if its not a SC(or ASSOCIATED WITH)- Im not doing it.
You can easily spend MORE on a "bolt on" car and make much less HP. No thanks.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:37 AM   #44
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
OP has a very valid point. I have a few small bolt ons done, and they have made a difference at the track. However, this car is more car than I need on the street. It is my first 11 second car, but it feels slower than my fifth gens due to excellent refinement.

With the new GM sales event, they have some deals that might make me trade this 16 2SS for something this week. Choices are: SS sedan (10K off MSRP), Silverado, Malibu Premium, or going down in payments and getting a I4 convertible Camaro. We'll see if they can deal a deal that works in my favor.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:50 AM   #45
BH1

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
I'm in the minority among those in this thread. The power isn't enough for me.

To be fair, my perception of speed is a bit jaded coming from a 560rwhp C6 Z. My Camaro "feels" slow, although I know it's not.

I'll be adding headers and a X-pipe, partly because I love the sound the LT1 makes with high flow cats and full exhaust; keeping the NPP. I'll be doing a tune to get the most out of it.

A supercharger is in the plan as well. I've run Texas Mile and I have the bug. A supercharger is almost a necessity in that event; at least for my goals.

Some minor cosmetic changes, wider forged wheels, lowering from GM, front splitter and rear deck spoiler from ACS will probably be it.

Yes the stock SS is too much for the street; same could be said for the V6. You can't tap the limits of either on the street. I don't drive like an idiot, but I will take advantage of a clear on ramp from time to time. If I happen to leave work late enough that there's no traffic, I like to stretch 3rd for a quick sprint.

I really do love this car, overall package, might be the best I've owned. But do I plan to "blow" money on it.
BH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #46
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1 View Post
I'm in the minority among those in this thread. The power isn't enough for me.

To be fair, my perception of speed is a bit jaded coming from a 560rwhp C6 Z. My Camaro "feels" slow, although I know it's not.

I'll be adding headers and a X-pipe, partly because I love the sound the LT1 makes with high flow cats and full exhaust; keeping the NPP. I'll be doing a tune to get the most out of it.

A supercharger is in the plan as well. I've run Texas Mile and I have the bug. A supercharger is almost a necessity in that event; at least for my goals.

Some minor cosmetic changes, wider forged wheels, lowering from GM, front splitter and rear deck spoiler from ACS will probably be it.

Yes the stock SS is too much for the street; same could be said for the V6. You can't tap the limits of either on the street. I don't drive like an idiot, but I will take advantage of a clear on ramp from time to time. If I happen to leave work late enough that there's no traffic, I like to stretch 3rd for a quick sprint.

I really do love this car, overall package, might be the best I've owned. But do I plan to "blow" money on it.
If you are going to mod it sounds like to you are going to do it correctly. Exhaust mods to achieve the sound you desire make sense and will help support the supercharger. Those are mods that will transform the car vs. what a lot of folks are talking about here. It is easy to get caught up in the hype of all these little bolt-ons that cost a fair amount of money and may or may not deliver any additional performance. If we had clear 3rd party independent testing of all the bolt ons then folks could make educated purchasing decisions, otherwise it is just hype.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #47
Negative248

Drives: Wd1ss
That is why I'm going with the gas...around 700$ for 150 shot from nitrous outlet stealth system...just wanna put some miles on her first and make sure there is no warranty work to be done before the nitrous tune goes in cus then it's all over for warranty..and superchargers just to damn much.. if you just wanna play at the track 2 or 3 times a year nitrous is the way to go.
Negative248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #48
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Wow I'm definitely the minority here. The 455 is not enough for me, like another poster stated I came from a modded C6Z and ctsv wagon (heavily modded) as well. Mine is getting headers and real exhaust (as we speak), the npp was too quiet for me, and a tune. Getting supercharged hopefully next month as an early xmas presant for me.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #49
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
You can pickup almost 40 rwhp from an e85 tune alone. Delete the cats and you got another 10-15. That's 50+ rwhp for about a grand. Would leave a stock car behind pretty bad. Headers get a bit pricey for about a grand and 20 hp but not compared to catbacks that do very little and never have. Msd intake manifold a bit pricey too for another 20 hp. Yep cold air intakes don't do much and they haven't for a while. So headers, intake man, e85 and tune will get you about 80 hp for about 3 grand. The cheapest bang for the buck is just e85 and cat delete for about 50 hp and a grand.

No cheap gains lol ok folks.

One also forgets about torque management. We aren't even getting all of the hp. These cars reduce timing on shifts and hard take off even with tc and stabikitrak turned off.

If e85 tune is not available a good 91-93 tune will get you about 10 hp and eliminate the torque management. Will be well worth the 6-700 bucks.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #50
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Wow I'm definitely the minority here. The 455 is not enough for me, like another poster stated I came from a modded C6Z and ctsv wagon (heavily modded) as well. Mine is getting headers and real exhaust (as we speak), the npp was too quiet for me, and a tune. Getting supercharged hopefully next month as an early xmas presant for me.
R u fast02zo6 on ls1tech?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #51
Nightfall1SS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
You can pickup almost 40 rwhp from an e85 tune alone. Delete the cats and you got another 10-15. That's 50+ rwhp for about a grand. Would leave a stock car behind pretty bad. Headers get a bit pricey for about a grand and 20 hp but not compared to catbacks that do very little and never have. Msd intake manifold a bit pricey too for another 20 hp. Yep cold air intakes don't do much and they haven't for a while. So headers, intake man, e85 and tune will get you about 80 hp for about 3 grand. The cheapest bang for the buck is just e85 and cat delete for about 50 hp and a grand.

No cheap gains lol ok folks.

One also forgets about torque management. We aren't even getting all of the hp. These cars reduce timing on shifts and hard take off even with tc and stabikitrak turned off.

If e85 tune is not available a good 91-93 tune will get you about 10 hp and eliminate the torque management. Will be well worth the 6-700 bucks.
Do you have to run straight E85 all the time or can you still run pump 91-93?
Nightfall1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #52
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall1SS View Post
Do you have to run straight E85 all the time or can you still run pump 91-93?
You can run either or mix it whatever you want the sensor adjusts for content automatically. But the higher the ethanol content the more timing and hp.

Until recently it was one or the other but the flex fuel sensors have been sorted out now.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472646
Old 11-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #53
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
R u fast02zo6 on ls1tech?
yup. it's me Ultra lol. I bounce back n forth
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #54
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I could not agree more with the OP. Some people like to wrench on their car and that's fine; I used to be one of them.

But today's performance cars are so unbelievably capable from the showroom floor and the mods are so freakin' expensive that unless you are going for the last 10th, it just is not worth it, especially for the car that is only going to be an occasional red light warrior.

If you have the money to blow and like to work on your car, that's cool too.

To each his own!
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #55
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP with boltons, DRs and Flex fuel you can get around 500 to the wheels. It is not cheap but does not increase weight or heat soak along with being cheaper than FI. Just adding a CAI is just for looks, noise, or getting rid of that awful sound tube.

Last edited by Fraxum; 11-09-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #56
thescout6

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
For the most part I've always had a performance car of one type or another. From a Plymouth Road Runner, a Plymouth "Cuda", a GTO, and five different new Corvettes (1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, & 2008) the 2004 Z06 was right off the truck. I now have the 2016 Camaro 2SS with all the options except the decals. Up until the other day I still believed that I needed to upgrade my SS with more aftermarket goodies.

Well, not anymore. I've done months of research and have found that, for the most part, most of the bolt-ons are just not worth it. A few additional HP doesn't justify cost. I've been told that for the most part a legal CAI system isn't available in California. The dealers that do sell them tell me to just switch it back to factory before the smog test. Another vendor said that the NPP is more than enough and to just leave that option on my Camaro. Another vendor mentioned a new sway bar set-up. He also mentioned a custom program tune. Still another mentioned a different cam, headers, or larger throttle body.

I can't see it. Short of a supercharger the other "stuff" seems like a money pit. The gains aren't worth it, IMO. My car with all it's factory options is plenty fast enough. I'm going to stop waiting for a California-legal CAI and all the hype that I read about on line and just be happy with my $50k Camaro. There, I'm done venting!

I had to smog teat my car in California and had my roto fab CAI on and passed. They didn't even notice it and it didn't throw any codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thescout6 is offline   Reply With Quote