Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 AM   #43
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
You may need to brush up on your stats.

The SS 1LE weighs less than the GT350 TP, 3750 to 3790.
They both have 6 piston front, 4 piston rear calipers.
They both have two piece front rotors.
The front brakes on the SS 1LE are only .9" smaller in diameter.
The SS 1LE during Motor Trends Best Drivers Car testing stopped from 60 in only 94'. Out of the 12 cars they tested, it was only beat by the Viper ACR. It was one of the shortest stops they ever recorded.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mclar...t-drivers-car/
I know the stats. That 0.9" makes a difference. You missed the fact that the GT350 has larger rotors both front and rear (14.6F/13.3R vs.15.5F/15.0R; better mechanical advantage and thermal capacity). Caliper designs are similar, but the GT350 has monblocks (there is an advantage of the added rigidity in that it more efficiently transmits brake force to the pads). No idea on piston sizes though. Both cars have similar sized tires (call this a wash). I don't see the weight difference between a 6G 1LE and GT350TP enough to equal a 11ft differential. Maybe about 2ft.

You ignored my comment on brake pad material. This makes a difference...

Listen, the 1LE is a bad ass car. GM did a fantastic job. VERY capable. AWESOME value! I'm just not a proponent of dogging a car's performance, like with that of the GT350's braking, until you really consider what you're dealing with.

Stock for stock, yeah, it got beat 60-0mph. But, around a track, lap after lap, the 1LE will fade before the GT350, stock for stock (there are comments from Randy hinting on this, but, hey, put in some good brake fluid and the story changes). Put some different pads in the GT350, maybe the 60-0 story would be different. That's all im saying.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #44
Mountain

Maybe it's not pads. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe its the GT350 has shit anti-dive. Just given the brake equipment, the GT350 shouldn't be worse
Old 10-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #45
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Maybe it's not pads. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe its the GT350 has shit anti-dive. Just given the brake equipment, the GT350 shouldn't be worse
I hear you, but...
...just because a car has "bigger and better equipment" doesn't mean it will functionality always be superior. There are plenty of factors that can come into play. Heck, balance under heavy braking alone is huge, initial bite, etc, etc. Bottom line is the SS 1LE has shown it's braking talents in both the MT and CD track tests...
Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #46
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Maybe the GT350 has heavier wheels
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #47
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Maybe the GT350 has heavier wheels
...or a very FAT driver?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #48
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I know the stats. That 0.9" makes a difference. You missed the fact that the GT350 has larger rotors both front and rear (14.6F/13.3R vs.15.5F/15.0R; better mechanical advantage and thermal capacity). Caliper designs are similar, but the GT350 has monblocks (there is an advantage of the added rigidity in that it more efficiently transmits brake force to the pads). No idea on piston sizes though. Both cars have similar sized tires (call this a wash). I don't see the weight difference between a 6G 1LE and GT350TP enough to equal a 11ft differential. Maybe about 2ft.

Listen, the 1LE is a bad ass car. GM did a fantastic job. VERY capable. AWESOME value! I'm just not a proponent of dogging a car's performance, like with that of the GT350's braking, until you really consider what you're dealing with.

Stock for stock, yeah, it got beat 60-0mph. But, around a track, lap after lap, the 1LE will fade before the GT350, stock for stock (there are comments from Randy hinting on this, but, hey, put in some good brake fluid and the story changes). Put some different pads in the GT350, maybe the 60-0 story would be different. That's all im saying.
The GT has an even bigger brake equipment advantage than the SS yet C&D and R&T found the SS stopped much better. It appear that Chevy applies the equipment better.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 10-21-2016 at 12:11 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #49
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The GT has an even bigger brake equipment advantage than the SS yet C&D and R&T found the SS stopped much better. It appear that Chevy applies the equipment better.
Those R&T results indicate very close brake performance.

What's the link to that C/D test? I'm asking because the weight they have posted in that graphic you attached says, "3452" for weight... that would be the LT weight.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #50
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Those R&T results indicate very close brake performance.
The SS brakes better though with smaller diameter discs and 4-piston calipers. Its interesting that reviewers always say the SS brakes feel softer even though it performs better.

Quote:
What's the link to that C/D test? I'm asking because the weight they have posted in that graphic you attached says, "3452" for weight... that would be the LT weight.
That's a good question. I grabbed it of another tread thinking it was this one. I fixed it

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #51
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:

Even when Camaro wins, proven with stats, some refuse to believe.

From a hardware standpoint, the Camaro is significantly superior to the Mustang, it's not even close. It's just a better car. No one would have thought the 1le would outperform the much more expensive, more powerful gt350. But it does.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #52
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Even when Camaro wins, proven with stats, some refuse to believe.

From a hardware standpoint, the Camaro is significantly superior to the Mustang, it's not even close. It's just a better car. No one would have thought the 1le would outperform the much more expensive, more powerful gt350. But it does.
What hardware exactly is superior to the GT350 again?

Unless of corse you are taking about the GT, where the SS holds no significant advantage. The GT really a tune away from the SS 1/4 mile. Better tires, yes. Small weight advantage, yes. Small horsepower advantage, yes. Those things are relatively cheaply overcome with the aftermarket. I don't really saw anything that would be considered "significant" though.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #53
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
What hardware exactly is superior to the GT350 again?

Unless of corse you are taking about the GT, where the SS holds no significant advantage. The GT really a tune away from the SS 1/4 mile. Better tires, yes. Small weight advantage, yes. Small horsepower advantage, yes. Those things are relatively cheaply overcome with the aftermarket. I don't really saw anything that would be considered "significant" though.
Come on man, you HAVE to opt for the PP for this to even be a conversation. Even then you have crappy damping, awful exhaust, and the MT-82 to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang and will likely end up with one over the Camaro but that is all looks based and I know I have some work and money going in to it ASAP to help cure the issues it comes with.

I think a lot of the gaps will be closed in 2018 by additional factory option for the refresh, but we will have to see.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #54
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Come on man, you HAVE to opt for the PP for this to even be a conversation. Even then you have crappy damping, awful exhaust, and the MT-82 to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang and will likely end up with one over the Camaro but that is all looks based and I know I have some work and money going in to it ASAP to help cure the issues it comes with.

I think a lot of the gaps will be closed in 2018 by additional factory option for the refresh, but we will have to see.
The GTPP dampening does a great job for what it is. It does great for daily driver duty with the occasional trip to the track. It is severely under tired however, and would fare mush better with a square wheel option.

The exhaust and MT-82 are by no means detrimental to performance.

Really, as far as performance goes it nealrly all in the weight, horsepower and tires. It all ads up, but the significant difference is greatly overplayed, and negated by a tune a wheel/tire swap.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #55
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
The GTPP dampening does a great job for what it is. It does great for daily driver duty with the occasional trip to the track. It is severely under tired however, and would fare mush better with a square wheel option.

The exhaust and MT-82 are by no means detrimental to performance.

Really, as far as performance goes it nealrly all in the weight, horsepower and tires. It all ads up, but the significant difference is greatly overplayed, and negated by a tune a wheel/tire swap.
As a former MT-82 owner, I can 100% say it is a Chinese made piece of crap. Ford replaced mine twice, then bought the car back. It's probably the worst manual transmission in a performance car on the market today...if you can't shift it at high rpm's properly, that is what I call hugely detrimental to performance.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #56
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
As a former MT-82 owner, I can 100% say it is a Chinese made piece of crap. Ford replaced mine twice, then bought the car back. It's probably the worst manual transmission in a performance car on the market today...if you can't shift it at high rpm's properly, that is what I call hugely detrimental to performance.
While I have heard some having issues, many (including mine) have performed great. I have no issues shifting at redline.

That's not to say it's perfect, you obviously got a lemon.