Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #43
Camaro455ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS ... 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You'll get sealant residue and maybe a slightly higher metal content than a normal oil change. First change at 2500 wont hurt anything.

There is absolutely no reason to not use full synthetic. Your brand is up to you. But Pennzoil is running a decent rebate program for all of 2016 and their full synth is good.

In car oil life indicator is just a rough estimate based on hard starts, soft starts and mileage. I'd use it as a good reminder and check the oil. If it's real dark and you're near the mileage _FOR_THE_FILTER_ then go ahead and change it. Technically a good full synth will probably be fine for double what the filter is rated for but who just changes an oil filter if you're already under there? most just change both.

Cant speak to the axle fluid change. This is more of an issue for those with limited slip which my A8 V6 doesn't have.

It's doubtful they are referring to oil in the actual transmission since the transmission doesn't use oil. It uses hydraulic fluid. Regardless though, the fluid in the transmission can be changed. It's a regularly scheduled maintenance item.

Stick to the owner's manual maintenance schedule and you'll be fine. "Break in" changes really are only precautionary measures that go above and beyond what is _needed_. Track use is WAY different from just driving spirited every now and then. You should be fine being aggressive on the road and just doing normal maintenance schedule.
Thank you so much my friend...
but for my A8 V8 it has the liited slip .. LOL and I don't know what to do......would it cost more than a regular oil change?? i'll change it too at the same time as my oil...... unless the fluid in there is using stronger break in fluid as well
Camaro455ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #44
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
After my break in period and right before I went to track, as per the manual I changed the rear end oil. I *think* there might be a TSB on rear end oil for some also FYI... Any way, I changed mine.. Car ran quieter and smoother on roads after that. It was 150.00 to change.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:39 AM   #45
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
So you guys suggest to change the Rear End oil at 1500 miles even though no noises are heard ?
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #46
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
So you guys suggest to change the Rear End oil at 1500 miles even though no noises are heard ?
The manual suggests changing it after the first "track event" if I recall. I would do it sooner than later.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #47
Lurhq343

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagary View Post
a real car guy knows better. I have been building street and race car engines for 50 years and if you had ever seen the powdered metal that is in suspension in the oil at 500 miles you would change your tune. I put a magnetic drain plug and a magnetic stuck to side of oil filter in new engines I build and they have a large amount of metal on it after a 500 mile break in period. With my new C7 I did the 500 mile oil change then put a magnetic drain plug in it. Changed again at 1300 miles and it still had lots of new powdered metal stuck to the drain plug on that oil change so wished I had drained the oil and put magnetic drain plug in as soon as I got home. It is not shavings left in engine that is the problem as engines are assembled in a clean room and parts inspected enough that shavings are a rare occurrence. It is the wear of metal against metal until parts get "seated" with each other while the engine is running , especially rings against the cylinder walls, that creates lots of fine powdered metal in the oil system. If you don't care about this metal acting like sandpaper when it gets between two pieces of metal in your engine then let it go 5000 miles. I have more respect for this fine piece of machinery than that.
Agreed!!!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #48
Lurhq343

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
Walmart has the 5 qt bottles for about 26 a piece, so with filter and tax you are at about 60
On Sale for 22.99.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #49
SS455HP

Drives: 2016 RED 2SS BAD ASS AUTO 8
GM Guy

I remember reading on breaking in the new engine before you stomp on it and a GM Engine builder replied that they actually run and test the engines before they install and the oil is changed at that time. If it was need to change at 500 miles it would be in the manual...you guys need to get over the old wives tales about changing oil...that may have been needed 50 years ago but not now...nobody building cars today requires a break in oil change
SS455HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #50
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I changed my SS oil around 6500 miles, 10 percent oil life and seems to be doing fine. I used 10 quarts of Valvoline Synthetic 5W30 and a Mobil 1 #113 oil filter. Yes the LT1s do hold 10 quarts. I'm in agreement with some posters that the oil doesn't need to be changed early unless a person has the money and or desire to change it. Just go by the oil monitor and by all means check the level frequently during the break in miles. I had to add a quart to mine around 2500 miles and didn't have to add anymore until I changed it for the first time.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #51
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0L Turbo
what kind of oil and oil filter combo do you guys recommend?
tsanchez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #52
mustangcrusher1

Drives: 2017 camaro SS blue w/white stripes
GM will not pay for your 2 oil changes until its to 20%, its total bullshit. I paid for them they are mine to use when ever I feel like it. But no GM will not pay for it until its to 20% of the oil life... That shit pisses me off!
mustangcrusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #53
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcrusher1 View Post
GM will not pay for your 2 oil changes until its to 20%, its total bullshit. I paid for them they are mine to use when ever I feel like it. But no GM will not pay for it until its to 20% of the oil life... That shit pisses me off!
This is not true, your dealer is making that call....my dealer will do them anytime, and many others are the same.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #54
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drags1998 View Post
And ON and ON it GOES!!!!!!!!!! 500 miles, 1500miles, 5000 miles Why NOT go by what GM says. THEY built it!!!! I know what "old school"Guys are talking about. (I am ONE} EVERYTHING has changed since the 70's Oil from the 70's would be MUD at 5000 miles at 200 degrees. Today its only 2/3 worn out. This has been a topic that has been pounded to DEATH!!!!! I say do what you have always done and everything will be FINE!!!!!!
+1
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #55
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Depends on the dealership... Took my Colorado in for a freebie with only 1500km on the odo; got some weird looks, but whatever
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #56
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS455HP View Post
I remember reading on breaking in the new engine before you stomp on it and a GM Engine builder replied that they actually run and test the engines before they install and the oil is changed at that time. If it was need to change at 500 miles it would be in the manual...you guys need to get over the old wives tales about changing oil...that may have been needed 50 years ago but not now...nobody building cars today requires a break in oil change
A friend of mine just retired from Tonawanda, NY engine plant (nursery of the LT1, and LT4...)

The engines go through a "dry" run...where they simulate pressures without fuel for 2 minutes or so. It is true that they fill them with oil at the plant, and each engine goes through this test.

However, that is not "break in".

The car is also test run on a dyno at the end of the assembly line for a few minutes to check that all systems are working.

This is not "break in", either.

You are probably right that engines do not need such early oil changes. Tolerances are much tighter than they used to be. Not as much wearing in being done in those first 1500 miles.

But keep in mind...the 1500mi break-in period is not just for the engine. It's for every moving, temperature-changing component...

Also, I forget the exact details, but the Corvette team indicated that an early oil change may be necessary for Z06s, since a seal somewhere may cause foaming in the oil as it ages/heat cycles.

So their still is wear, and reasons to do an early oil change...it's certainly not going to hurt. And what does it cost...$80 to do it yourself? Maybe less?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
This is not true, your dealer is making that call....my dealer will do them anytime, and many others are the same.....

I used my complimentary oil changes at 500, 1500, 8000, and 18,000 (I think...the last two were dictated by the oil life monitor)