Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 11-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #43
SSfriendly
Banned

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I think he just means that they are more controlled tests. Same fuel, recommended air pressures, weather corrections, multiple passses averaged, etc, etc.

I predict 12.30’s-12.40’s for the A10 and 12.50’s-12.60’s for the M6.

Just like no magazine tests ran high 11’s from an SS...
That is of course...unless Ford worked some magic with it's "drag mode" on the street, allowing for better non VHT prepped launches.
SSfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #44
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSfriendly View Post
That is of course...unless Ford worked some magic with it's "drag mode" on the street, allowing for better non VHT prepped launches.
No. They didn't. There isn't any "magic". It'll be a tick slower than the SS because, again, Ford is not gonna have their GT beat their top of the line (for this Generation at this point) trim. And if it beats the SS then it'll be as fast ar the Shelby. The Shelby WILL be the fastest Mustang in a straight line and around a track. For the GT, 12.3 (at best) to 12.5 (more likely) is what we'll see in the A10. The M6 will be around 12.6 to a 12.8. I think that is a decent jump from where they were but I'm not impressed.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #45
SSfriendly
Banned

"In Performance-pack equipped GTs, Drag Strip mode also changes the settings of the car's MagneRide dampers, helping increase weight transfer to the rear axle, providing greater traction." Per http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...eration-specs/
(old article, still valid)

The ability to launch on the street with computer assistance is critical in all of these magazine tests.

On the street...in drag mode, I can see the GT beating the camaro. Getting traction on the street vs the track is something entirely different.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 AM   #46
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
"In Performance-pack equipped GTs, Drag Strip mode also changes the settings of the car's MagneRide dampers, helping increase weight transfer to the rear axle, providing greater traction." Per http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...eration-specs/

The ability to launch on the street with computer assistance is critical in all of these magazine tests.

On the street...in drag mode, I can see the GT beating the camaro. Getting traction on the street vs the track is something entirely different.
Yea and that is a lot of speculation. Again, Ford is not gonna let the GT topple the present king of their lineup in ANY performance aspect especially when the Shelby is $10K more expensive at least. I realize that you and all Mustang guys don't care about performance. But Ford is gonna protect the Shelby name. Drag mode or whatever it is called will not propel it to the Shelby level. It'll likely be what allows it to do either match or come in a tick slower than the SS.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #47
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

All these settings are not the magical wonders you think they are. If they were then they wouldn't be in the GT...they would be in the Shelby. I tried all the different settings in my 15 GT back when I had it and they did absolutely nothing. The type of tech that will drastically alter performance like you're thinking is not gonna be in a $35K Mustang bro, lol!!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #48
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
There’s already been two instrumented tests (one from MT actually) so we have all that info. This will just be a track beatdown lol...
That’s true, I forgot about BDC.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #49
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
All these settings are not the magical wonders you think they are. If they were then they wouldn't be in the GT...they would be in the Shelby. I tried all the different settings in my 15 GT back when I had it and they did absolutely nothing. The type of tech that will drastically alter performance like you're thinking is not gonna be in a $35K Mustang bro, lol!!
The GT350s have drag mode...
Old 11-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #50
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'm saying it won't drastically alter the performance like SSFriendly is desperately hoping it will. With all the best settings on I think it will do a mid 12. I don't think they're gonna run it and do a mid 12 and then make some setting changes and bust off a 12 flat. It is a GT. Ford doesn't put much into the GT. They made it so that it'll keep up with the SS a little better than the 15-17 did. But I doubt they made it to beat the SS since then they'll be elbowing in on Shelby territory. Again, I know Mustang guys don't buy the Shelby for any performance reasons at all. They buy them because they sound good and feel good and have the Shelby name on it and they're gonna be huge collectible items worth a small fortune in the near future. But Ford is not gonna let the GT match the Shelby.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #51
SSfriendly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Yep, and not the A10 which makes a huge difference. When the computer is able to control weight transfer, transmission line pressure, converter lockup, shift-points etc., then you will realize MUCH better launch capabilities on street tires...on the street. This is where the best (and repeatable) 0-60 times can be seen...in cars that are best able to capture these factors.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #52
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Did you know that mag ride equipped SSes can set the suspension to tour (soft) and the NPP exhaust to track separately?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #53
SSfriendly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Did you know that mag ride equipped SSes can set the suspension to tour (soft) and the NPP exhaust to track separately?
For sure, but does it change the settings to optimize weight transfer for drag racing, and if so...does it do it to the level that the new GT touts?

Real question here, not talking up the GT.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #54
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
For sure, but does it change the settings to optimize weight transfer for drag racing, and if so...does it do it to the level that the new GT touts?

Only to Ford and GM engineers know that. All we can do is test the cars and see what the results are.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #55
SSfriendly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Only to Ford and GM engineers know that. All we can do is test the cars and see what the results are.
Ford "touts" that theirs has special dampening for optimum weight transfer in drag mode. I wasn't sure if GM has the same thing...just not advertised.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #56
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:

No. The SS hits a sub 4 0-60 All by itself with the A8. I have MRC on my SS and it doesn't have a drastic change in the weight transfer like that. I'm not sure how much the Mustang has but I doubt it is drastic either.

Here is what we know: A GT PP1 can't hang with the 1LE on a track. We know it's "street" performance is close. I suspect MT got a 12.5-12.6 out of the GT.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote