Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #43
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
V6 does closer to 30mpg at 90 .

And I could get a used Tesla 4 door that outruns any v8 Camaro.

Acceleration and speed do not define a sports car more than looks and handling over a certain performance level. That level doesn't change because it is tied to the human ability to drive. Not the potential of what you are driving.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #44
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
V6 does closer to 30mpg at 90 .

And I could get a used Tesla 4 door that outruns any v8 Camaro.

Acceleration and speed do not define a sports car more than looks and handling over a certain performance level. That level doesn't change because it is tied to the human ability to drive. Not the potential of what you are driving.
If you really believe that about a Tesla then you don’t understand how their batteries operate. Buy the Tesla, charge it to 100%, drive it 30 miles to the track and I guarantee a 6th gen SS will blow its doors off. I know that from personal experience after a doctor friend who owns one made the same claim.

Bottom line the V6 is inferior in every performance related aspect. You have yet to mention one where it isn’t. Can it beat the V8 through the 1/4 mile? No. Can it beat it in a figure 8, no. 0-60, no. 60 to 120, no. 0-150-0, no. Nurburgring, no. So again how is it superior with respect to performance and being nimble means zero if it doesn’t translate to better performance. It certainly doesn’t look better, they look essentially the same. Add the 1LE package and it’s at an even bigger disadvantage due to the increased weight relative to torque.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #45
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Lightbulb Fiat 124 Spider Abarth: It's a Sports Car

Quote:
the nonsense that always tries to downplay the V6 is hilarious just because the v8 keeps a lead.

Cylinders dont dictate sports cars or not. There are supercars that have 6 cylinders.

when you're beating or running with what everyone considers sports cars and you're 2 door coupe .... you're a sports car.

there will always be faster sports cars and slower sports cars. The v8 may be higher up ...but it's hardly mutually exclusive with the V6 being in the same class at a lower range.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #46
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
This thread is funny as hell. Camaro 6 is just a repeat of Camaro 5. Same topics and debates took place years ago over there. And guess what....nobody won the arguement. This whole new fight fest started when some dork slapped the sports car title on the 6th gen Camaro. Its never ..ever been looked at as a sports car.
The v8 is a muscle car and the v6 is a good second choice. There you go...problem solved...or is it?
I think the move to the Alpha platform turned the SS into a true sports car, not just a muscle car.

Are the Nissan GT-3 Nismo, Porsche 991 GT3, and Porsche 991.2 Turbo S sports cars? Motor Trend reports that the SS 1LE runs the figure 8 as fast as they do. What about the BMW M4, is it a sports car? The SS 1LE runs the figure 8 faster.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #47
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
The price differential is irrelevant to me and has nothing to do with being a sports car.
The same with fuel efficiency. On that topic I recently went on a 300+ mile road trip averaging about 90 mph and getting 21 mpg, can the V6 do that? I doubt it. Even if it could that has zero to do with being a sports car.
It’s more nimble. Really? Name the track where your more nimble 1LT finishes ahead of my SS. There is none. At best it’s 300 pounds lighter but has 120 less horsepower and almost half the torque.

They’re impressive sporty cars, a marvel of modern engineering, but claiming they’re so good the SS shouldn’t be considered is utter nonsense. I can buy a 4 door Khia Stinger that will outrun it

To be fair my first car, a 1969 GTO might have trouble beating it and in 1969 the GTO was a sports car, just as the F bodies were great in their time but have been left behind. BTW their owners might laugh at my statement, but they would be doing it while watching me pull away from them.
Overcompensating or what
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #48
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
If you really believe that about a Tesla then you don’t understand how their batteries operate. Buy the Tesla, charge it to 100%, drive it 30 miles to the track and I guarantee a 6th gen SS will blow its doors off. I know that from personal experience after a doctor friend who owns one made the same claim.

Bottom line the V6 is inferior in every performance related aspect. You have yet to mention one where it isn’t. Can it beat the V8 through the 1/4 mile? No. Can it beat it in a figure 8, no. 0-60, no. 60 to 120, no. 0-150-0, no. Nurburgring, no. So again how is it superior with respect to performance and being nimble means zero if it doesn’t translate to better performance. It certainly doesn’t look better, they look essentially the same. Add the 1LE package and it’s at an even bigger disadvantage due to the increased weight relative to torque.
You seem to be under the incorrect impression that you need to be the best to be a sports car.

Your definitions are wrong.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #49
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
They’re impressive sporty cars, a marvel of modern engineering, but claiming they’re so good the SS shouldn’t be considered is utter nonsense. I can buy a 4 door Khia Stinger that will outrun it

VIR lightning lap from motortrend:
Camaro v6 1le:(2017) 3.04.0

Kia Stinger GT (2018) 3:11.6
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #50
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
You seem to be under the incorrect impression that you need to be the best to be a sports car.

Your definitions are wrong.
At least I’m not driving a 1LT. Don’t forget to feed the squirrel and keep the hamster wheel greased.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #51
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
At least I’m not driving a 1LT. Don’t forget to feed the squirrel and keep the hamster wheel greased.

The 80s called they would like you back
Old 01-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #52
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
VIR lightning lap from motortrend:
Camaro v6 1le:(2017) 3.04.0

Kia Stinger GT (2018) 3:11.6
Camaro SS 1LE 2016 2.54.8
Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #53
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
The 80s called they would like you back
Let us know when you get a real car.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #54
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Let us know when you get a real car.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #55
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
I think the move to the Alpha platform turned the SS into a true sports car, not just a muscle car.
In 2015 the Mustang became a sports car. In 2016 the Camaro became a sports car. The only muscle car left is the Challenger.

Quote:
At least I’m not driving a 1LT...
You're bashing someone for the engine in their vehicle? Seriously?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #56
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Camaro SS 1LE 2016 2.54.8

Dude, no one thinks the 1lt is faster than the ss. No one in this thread is disputing that. Someone expressed they preferred handling (subjective), and i think someone had the opinion the 1lt was so good they didn't need to consider the ss. That's their preference, and somewhat similar to some who say they don't need to consider the ZL1 because the SS is so good.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote