Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #43
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
At CamaroFest 8, there was an SS manual and V6 1LE that I had an opportunity to shift through the gears while the car was parked. I've been with the Hurst setup for so long that I forgot how long (not a bad thing) and sloppy (relatively) the stock shifter was. The Hurst shifter / stock knob is much more precise! Hurst needs to get this to market ASAP!

I was hoping there would be an SS 1LE there so I could test out that shifter and compare the two.

The overall design with linkage makes it tougher to create a good feeling, precise shifter. My 4th gen shifter that was connected directly to the transmission felt better than all of the above! If only they could have shifted the engine/trans back 6" or so, the same style shifter could have been used.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #44
vtirocz

A question was raised on what the stock SS shifter's design looks like and if there's anything that can be done to stiffen it up without going to a shorter throw.

The pics below show the linkage. The front part that attaches to the transmission is a machined metal interface (no real slop to speak of). The rear part that attaches to the shifter lever appears to have a hard plastic bushing (also not a whole lot of slop at this interface either). I don't really see any low hanging fruit to go after to stiffen up the stock unit. There's only so much that can be done with the linkage design as compared to ones that attach directly to the transmission (like the 4th gen F-body).

With that said, even though I really didn't want a shorter throw than stock, the Hurst setup definitely stiffens things up and is much more precise/crisp than stock. The spherical metal bearing on the Hurst shifter compared to the plastic spherical bearing probably helps some, but it's probably mostly due to the pivot point change.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #45
Tech@HurstPerformance

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
It's (almost) here!

You've patiently waited, it's been a long time coming but it's finally here! Today we received word that the new Hurst Billet Plus Shifter that allows you to keep your OEM Chevrolet shift knob will be available on September 1st! This shifter provides the same benefits as our other Hurst Billet Plus Shifters, such as a massive reduction in throw and a limited, lifetime warranty.

This info is so new that we're still awaiting additional details so please subscribe to this thread, more information to come.

Questions? Please call 707-544-4761 or visit www.hurst-shifters.com for additional application and product information.
Tech@HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #46
zeemak16

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
? Is the upper stick going to be available for the those of us that already have your shifter and just want to change back to stock knob , or is this a total kit only.
zeemak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #47
Tech@HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemak16 View Post
? Is the upper stick going to be available for the those of us that already have your shifter and just want to change back to stock knob , or is this a total kit only.
In most instances, we have the ability to sell separate items from our collection of shifters, such as levers, brackets, hardware, etc.; items that are not found for purchase on our website www.hurst-shifters.com. These items are known as "service parts" and can only be purchased by calling us directly at 707-544-4761. I am still awaiting word on if/when the upper stick portion will be available to those of you that already have this shifter but would like to re-use your stock shift knob. As I receive inquiries about the upper stick I forward those up to the "powers that be" to show the interest in bringing the upper stick to market. Once this shifter is available for purchase (September 1st) I will have some additional details available after that date. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #48
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
waiting!!!
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #49
Tech@HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
waiting!!!
The shifter dropped a day early! You can now purchase it on our website www.hurst-shifters.com. If you're looking for the upper stick that allows mounting of the OEM shift knob I am still working on getting the necessary info, hang tight.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 09-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #50
2018_ZL1_1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I have a 2018 ZL1 1LE, which to my understanding comes with a GM Short throw shifter. I'm not a fan of it, still feels sloppy compared to my MGW in my vette. Would the Hurst improve upon the "GM Short Throw" in terms of throw distance and crispness? Also, is it compatible ?
2018_ZL1_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #51
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018_ZL1_1LE View Post
I have a 2018 ZL1 1LE, which to my understanding comes with a GM Short throw shifter. I'm not a fan of it, still feels sloppy compared to my MGW in my vette. Would the Hurst improve upon the "GM Short Throw" in terms of throw distance and crispness? Also, is it compatible ?
I got almost 32k on mine and it's breaking in nice. GM factory shifter is loose like oar in a row boat. Hurst is tight, crisp & short, love it.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #52
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the gm 1LE shifter is only 6% shorter than the SS shifter. The Hurst is 40%
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #53
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Just ordered the upper stick for oem knob. 57.75+shipping

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #54
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
just ordered my shifter. they are doing 15% off right now $246 shipped is a good deal http://www.hurst-shifters.com/produc...r=&md=&sm=&e=#
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 AM   #55
ashhawk

Drives: 2017 SS
So I am working on a project that will allow me to attach the Hard drive shift handle to this shifter. Is the upper portion that the shift knob attaches to steel by chance so that it can be welded ? Really sad that you went away from this interface for the shift handles and discontinued the Hard drive handle
ashhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #56
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhawk View Post
So I am working on a project that will allow me to attach the Hard drive shift handle to this shifter. Is the upper portion that the shift knob attaches to steel by chance so that it can be welded ? Really sad that you went away from this interface for the shift handles and discontinued the Hard drive handle
I'm pretty sure the upper stick is aluminum. It's a fully isolated design and NVH characteristic are on par with the stock shifter. The part that upper stick bolts to is steel though, so if you didn't care about NVH, you potentially could weld directly to that.