Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #43
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
I think these specialty cars Z/28, XLE, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the silly things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. A greater weight reduction is achieved by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and that does not raise the price. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 XLE or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.

The Boss is better than a ZL1?????

Besides the ZL being faster, more comfortable, better riding and faster around the track which leaves the Boss what?? Besides sucking wind...

Boss 302 Mustang, Bwahhhh HaHaHa...

OMG, and the Z/28 is a purpose built Track Car, do you understand what purpose built is???

And, BTW, I drive my ZL1 everyday. I've drive it to the track, race all day and then drive it home. I put snow tires on it and drive it through a blizzard without thinking twice. And yes it has Magride similar to the Caddy which means I can ride like a Caddy and then tune it for the track and run with the best of them. Try that in an solid axle mustang.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #44
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

Bhobbs: 7 liter Corvette engine that gave Corvette buyers a lot of trouble. See their forums. The Camaro has all vette/Cadillac V8 powerplants. To get the Z-28 up to a performance number they had to go for more CID. It is still a tank, 7 liters are no. Are you buying one?

Go for it. I am braced for a beating!

Edco
It's not the same LS7 as in the Corvette. It has been updated for the Camaro. We will have to wait and see how it does.

You do realize GM builds corporate engines, right? Almost every GM V8 car shares the same engines.

GM added cubes and Ford added RPMs for the BOSS.

No, I'm not buying one. I can't afford it but if I could and had another DD car, I would buy it in a heart beat.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #45
edco
Account Suspended

Drives: 07gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
The Boss is better than a ZL1?????

Besides the ZL being faster, more comfortable, better riding and faster around the track which leaves the Boss what?? Besides sucking wind...

Boss 302 Mustang, Bwahhhh HaHaHa...

OMG, and the Z/28 is a purpose built Track Car, do you understand what purpose built is???

And, BTW, I drive my ZL1 everyday. I've drive it to the track, race all day and then drive it home. I put snow tires on it and drive it through a blizzard without thinking twice. And yes it has Magride similar to the Caddy which means I can ride like a Caddy and then tune it for the track and run with the best of them. Try that in an solid axle mustang.
All right, Z28 is purpose built track car, not for the road/street. Understood.
The Boss 302 is a street car. The purpose built 302 track version is pictured below, it has one seat. The Z-28 can wrangle with that. Z/28 has a 2.0 liter displacement advantage. Lets look for race results. In the mean time the 2+2 Boss 302 street car is a best buy in street muscle. Do you need 6.2 supercharged liters to drive through a blizzard or pickup a pizza. I did write the 302 numbers were inferior to the high HP muscle of both Ford and Chevy but the point is less is more. Boss 302 street is a balanced enjoyable package with plenty of go. Read the road and track and motorweek reviews linked above. If I want a car to ride like a Cadillac I will buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln. I want my Mustang to ride like a Mustang all the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by edco; 06-09-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: more thoughts
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #46
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
What's this thread about again?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #47
edco
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Mustangs and Camaros
Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #48
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Mustangs and Camaros
Actually that is not what the thread is about, it's about Top Gears review of the Z/28, you sir took it off topic with your mustang propaganda.. If you want to continue that discussion it's best to have its own thread.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #49
edco
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Actually that is not what the thread is about, it's about Top Gears review of the Z/28, you sir took it off topic with your mustang propaganda.. If you want to continue that discussion it's best to have its own thread.
I stand admonished.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #50
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I love Top Gear (well the UK version) but they have obvious bias when it comes to cars..

This article is probably as close I we are going to get on a nod of respect for an "american" high performance car...

...at least until the C7 Z06 is reviewed...
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #51
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Agree. We have much in common, despite driving competing cars.
I like the forum and the driver/owners posting here. We all spent a
lot of money and we all bought American.

Yep, what started out in a playground at the age of 5 continues for some..

Once the new GT hits the streets, oh how the flood gates will open..

Love most muscles cars built (the BOSS happens to be my favorite mustang) but some just stand out to me better.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #52
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #53
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
All right, Z28 is purpose built track car, not for the road/street. Understood.
The Boss 302 is a street car. The purpose built 302 track version is pictured below, it has one seat. The Z-28 can wrangle with that. Z/28 has a 2.0 liter displacement advantage. Lets look for race results. In the mean time the 2+2 Boss 302 street car is a best buy in street muscle. Do you need 6.2 supercharged liters to drive through a blizzard or pickup a pizza. I did write the 302 numbers were inferior to the high HP muscle of both Ford and Chevy but the point is less is more. Boss 302 street is a balanced enjoyable package with plenty of go. Read the road and track and motorweek reviews linked above. If I want a car to ride like a Cadillac I will buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln. I want my Mustang to ride like a Mustang all the time.
I'm not sure why you keep calling the Mustang "balanced".... BODY ROLL!!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #54
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
I think these specialty cars Z/28, ZL1 (Mustang GT500 included) are more for advertising and brand bragging than real world driving (streets/roads/highways-not tracks). This Z28 is 3,820 pounds dry, I read all the silly things they did just to cut 8 pounds here and eight pounds there. A greater weight reduction is achieved by removing the spare tire and jack from a GT and that does not raise the price. This euro assessment is accurate. There are some enviable things about camaro, but weight and size are not two of them. The Z28 is a track performer by overkill engine and tires. It is likely a gas hog on the road and a summer car only. In interest of fair disclosure I think the Mustang GT500 is in the same place. The Boss 302, while not matching the power numbers and track numbers is a far better street driving man's machine than GT500 Z28 or ZL1. It is more balanced, more responsive, more efficient, and more fun than any of these bad boy brutes. Chevy mimics all the Mustang derivations. The Z28 answers the Boss 302. I think it misses. You can make an army tank fast, but it is still an army tank.
This just confirms one thing for me; and it's that I want a Z/28 even more now.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #55
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
OK CamaroKid, I did a refresh of my recollections about 1LE v Boss 302
and here are the web page links:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...le-motown-mile
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...let_camaro_1le
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...stang_boss_302

I respect both cars. I do not see the test supporting your position but you get to come back with the other side and other info.
The 1LE specs are on the left and the Boss 302 are on the right.
You straightened me out that the 1LE answers the Boss 302 and not the Z28.
However, I still stand by my earlier comment that the Boss 302 is a better street machine than a Z28. Let me have it.

PS. The spec sheets are from the motorweek website.
Here's the comparison. Apples to apples. Same track, same day, 1LE wins by quite a margin:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ss-1le#slide-1

Over 2.5 seconds per lap faster, and $6k cheaper.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/07/...seconds-video/

Over 4.6 seconds per lap here, and the BOSS was a Laguna Seca model.

I would take that last test with a grain of salt though, since it is a GM website. Not sure who did the driving.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #56
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Nice write-up.