Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2023, 10:54 AM   #43
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
There is plenty of torque in 2nd to take off, but the slipping of the clutch required to do take off from a stop will prematurely wear your clutch. It won't kill it immediately, but over time it will wear out faster than if you took off in 1st every time.

-Geoff
Agreed, clutch replacement is expensive and you're not actually accelerating faster by starting in 2nd even though it might feel that way to you for some strange reason. If the oil is already warmed up there's no problem with going full throttle in 1st gear in a straight line and revving 1st gear out and shifting to 2nd at around 50mph (around 45mph on the HUD because it is delayed). Assuming your tires aren't breaking traction that is the most throw you back in your seat experience the car can provide you with in my experience.

Each gear ratio is lower than the previous one on the M6 transmission so 1st gear offers the best acceleration as is the case with every manual transmission car I've ever seen.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:31 PM   #44
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Agreed, clutch replacement is expensive and you're not actually accelerating faster by starting in 2nd even though it might feel that way to you for some strange reason. If the oil is already warmed up there's no problem with going full throttle in 1st gear in a straight line and revving 1st gear out and shifting to 2nd at around 50mph (around 45mph on the HUD because it is delayed). Assuming your tires aren't breaking traction that is the most throw you back in your seat experience the car can provide you with in my experience.

Each gear ratio is lower than the previous one on the M6 transmission so 1st gear offers the best acceleration as is the case with every manual transmission car I've ever seen.
Yep, I finally felt it in 1st. I did a few hard runs as close to "legally" possible yesterday. I did WOT in 1st, saw the shift lights and shifted around 6krpm. I realized I wasn't pushing the car hard enough in 1st gear during break-in for obvious reasons. This was the first time I pushed it that hard post break-in. So yeah, I get it now. I don't particularly want to be driving that way all the time but at least now I know it can do that when I need the kick .
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #45
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Now you get to try the 'no lift shift'. That's a cool little feature.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:24 PM   #46
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
Now you get to try the 'no lift shift'. That's a cool little feature.
I have read differing opinions about NLS on this forum. Some say it's awesome. Others say it feels like the car doesn't like you doing that. I'm guessing since GM warrantied the feature, it shouldn't damage the car in any way. I don't particularly have the need to try that out now but will see if I can find a nice stretch of road to give it a shot.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:57 PM   #47
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
I have read differing opinions about NLS on this forum. Some say it's awesome. Others say it feels like the car doesn't like you doing that. I'm guessing since GM warrantied the feature, it shouldn't damage the car in any way. I don't particularly have the need to try that out now but will see if I can find a nice stretch of road to give it a shot.
It does emit a slightly weird noise, but I don't think it hurts the car: you do clutch in first and the accelerator is taken over by the ECM for the duration of the shift, so you can't overrev the engine either.

Here's a quick clip for reference, this guy could be an advanced "NLS instructor": https://youtu.be/4o22B6WIzhY?t=85s

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 11:00 PM   #48
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
the accelerator is taken over by the ECM for the duration of the shift, so you can't overrev the engine either.
You can't over-rev on upshifts regardless of shifting regularly or using no lift shift because of the rev limiter unless you accidentally select a lower gear than intended (for example 2nd to 1st instead of 2nd to 3rd). In that accidental case you're going to over-rev both with and without no lift shift unless you have auto rev match on and don't let the clutch out because you hear the rpms unexpectedly stay at 6,500 during the shift. For this reason I usually don't use no lift shift for 2nd to 3rd but I frequently use it for 3rd to 4th since there's less chance of accidentally selecting the wrong gear.

When I was first getting used to no lift shift I subconsciously lifted off of the accelerator a bit which prevents no lift shift from activating and then it feels a bit rough because it hits rev limiter during the shift and lurches when you let the clutch out and rpms drop. If you no lift shift correctly it usually feels smoother than a traditional shift.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:37 AM   #49
Twizzty
$$$$...$$...$$$...$$$$...

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I have to concentrate really hard when I NLS as my brain is hard wired to lift after decades of doing that. It should be easier to learn as a new manual driver and better for your clutch then say a 2nd gear launch.
2023 CX-50 Meridian Turbo
Twizzty is offline   Reply With Quote