Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #43
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I love the sound of the Mishi intake....I hate the sound of the NPP on my car.
My son and I pull the fuse and never put it back...even this is not enough.
Like Crabman, I want deep rumble and muscle car sounds...not raspy exotic or fart-can sounds.
I found that combo on my 5th gen...looking forward to doing the same on the 6th.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #44
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your support.

Ted.
+1 Ted- waiting for another unbiased comparison test to decide which cai to get and follow with one of your hand helds and a tune!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #45
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Big Cone added to stock box.

Big Air Cone in stock intake box.

I decided to try a big cone air filter in my stock air box. I orginal tried an open big cone but was worried about the heat and dynamics of air flow. Plus, I don't want to spend $450 on an intake system that may or may not increase any performance. I truly wish I had easy access to a Dyno so I could prove a performance increase or not. I also understand that by changing the air flow to the Mass Air Flow which in turn may cause the ecu to read a false reading. Thus a tune is needed in my opinion even with an after market air intake system or my own self mod.

So, I decided to stay as stock as I can with exception of adding a big cone air filter and a small mod to the stock air box. In order to fit the new air filter in I had to cut about a six by six hole in the bottom of the stock air box. I then sealed the hole with aircraft duct tape . The filter fits in the stock box and I am able to close the box with a tight seal screwed down tight. I have had it in for a week now, no issues. Performance wise, not sure. (No Dyno) Seems fine with no lose of power in my opinion, but engine sounds louder when you step on the gas. When the OEM factory air box's comes out I may just get the air box parts if I am able to do that for the correct seal. I would rather self MOD then dish out hundreds of dollars on a non proven add on yet.
TSP Headers, Spec P Super Twin Clutch, TSP EL C7 CAM
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 12-11-2017 at 01:18 PM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #46
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Stock air box with big cone air filter

Stock air box with big cone air filter inside.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 12-11-2017 at 01:18 PM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #47
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Tsloper, I always worry about hp, but there are so many on this forum that will spend 2000 on wheels and tires and complain about a cold air intake. I've run 9.70's in my 68 nova and I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands. I don't really expect much from the CAI's but I've been around for 64 years. Yes things have changed, people expect a shit load for 400 and that's not the way it works and that's what I was trying to say. Maybe I didn't get to the point. Have you figured out the e85 yet?
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #48
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
The GM intake looks like an identical copy of the CAI brand. I believe that Coldairinductions is making these for GM. The Cold air brand is in a silver finish, but the intake tube, MAF placement, air filter housing, and tube placement is exactly the same.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #49
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
What are you going on about? Lol...

Like an intake is going to make more power after you do headers and exhaust than if you did it before or something.

Not sure if you're serious or joking lol
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #50
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Stock air box with big cone air filter inside.
Now go look at your fuel trims as well as your AFR error at WOT.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #51
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Tsloper, I always worry about hp, but there are so many on this forum that will spend 2000 on wheels and tires and complain about a cold air intake. I've run 9.70's in my 68 nova and I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands. I don't really expect much from the CAI's but I've been around for 64 years. Yes things have changed, people expect a shit load for 400 and that's not the way it works and that's what I was trying to say. Maybe I didn't get to the point. Have you figured out the e85 yet?
I haven't messed with the E85 anymore. People should not be looking for anything but incremental gains from a CAI but at the same time the manufacturers should be straight up about what their product is actually doing and what it is not doing. Most claim improved airflow but provide zero data to demonstrate they are actually increasing mass air flow vs other unintended changes (i.e. MAF error).

I'm looking forward to properly testing the Rotofab unit. By properly I mean the MAF is calibrated and then the power is verified vs stock.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #52
Brusah

Drives: Hyper Blue 1SS 6MT
Saying that the whistle from the CAI improves airflow is no different than stating that a turbo simulator will increase your HP and TQ.

The cone filters are designed so that the consumer can receive the placebo effect that they can hear the performance so you must be getting gains. If you replace a cooler box intake with a CAI that is just a pipe and cone filter, explain to me how you will get a gain when your engine is ingesting air that is hotter which provides worse atomization in your A/F mix.

If you are concerned with getting more air you need to go big. Get a top of the line Intake, larger throttle body, CAI, port and re-valve heads then get a tune (from a knowledgeable shop that specializes in your engine/ vehicle).

Doing the above should all but remove any bottle necking in your engine air system, but then you will run into bottle necking in exhaust and fuel management.

Long story short if you aren't willing to dump 7k+ into your airflow from filter to exhaust tip, then save your money and enjoy your vehicle for why you bought it.
Brusah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #53
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
I'm just saying I have a beautiful cold air kit design and it makes a honest 4.5hp on the two tests I've run. That's not much for me to want to build a injection mold. Some companies are claiming 12+ & I just cant imagine how that's correct... I built about 3 different 3d printed versions & I just don't see it...
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #54
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
To update those following this thread: JRE recently conducted independent testing of the Roto-fab CAI. Though the results were not the best gains we have seen, our 6hp gain is still outperforming the competition by a large margin.

Below is a dyno sheet from CNC Motors in Korea, who gained 11 hp on an otherwise stock Camaro SS.

The Roto-fab CAI is the only system that is gaining horsepower without a tune. In fact, I have heard of some systems losing power and running over 20% lean. We did our homework when developing this system and chose to stick to our values of developing a truly great performing system, rather than letting our product ride on our past reputation as some manufacturers have done.

Thanks for the interest and support everyone, please let me know if you would like to discuss further!

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #55
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol pretty sure companies dont post that kinda info just stock hp and w intake hp but ill let them know

http://afepower.com/afe-power-54-742...ystem#overview
Dont sweat it bro. A lot of people only know the name brand or whats hot/
I have been researching the afe intake for a month. its seems like it might be the go to, I have been going back and forth between the rotofab and this one. there just isnt a lot of info out there besides what is on there website. I know the Hellcat among others use the afe so it cant be to bad. I think a lot of companies dont even want the afe brought up because the know the deal.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #56
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
I love the sound of the Mishi intake....I hate the sound of the NPP on my car.
My son and I pull the fuse and never put it back...even this is not enough.
Like Crabman, I want deep rumble and muscle car sounds...not raspy exotic or fart-can sounds.
I found that combo on my 5th gen...looking forward to doing the same on the 6th.
aka secondary cat delete for the win.