Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #43
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
What do you have and what’s the problem, maybe I can give you direction over the internet
I was just kidding. Everything I've got that is analog is in my "hoarding room" and has something wrong with it that would probably need a part which you probably couldn't get or have to go to ebay and pay out the ying yang for it. Thanks anyway. At least one thing works that I use is my turntable for my vinyl.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #44
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Thats what kills me about all this new stuff the compression sounds like its in a tin can and I have no clue,time or paitience to learn whats what what better whos cheaper... I guess im old.

I goto to live music shows alot before covid so I like the live sound...and you dont get that in MP3.

The sirius radio in my 1le sounds like my dads am radio did in his 1969 Chevelle wagon...Chevy recreated something right!
Yeah that’s the biggest problem I have with everything being on a file/phone/thumb drive. The sound quality just gets messed up. My 1995 Panasonic CD player through my headphone patch cord to the AUX input has more punch than the same song on my iPhone through Bluetooth or CarPlay. When I get my system installed and get rid of the garbage B(l)ose system it will be even a hundred times better.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #45
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
At the risk of being flamed for not embracing modern technology (as I've been accused of being stuck with the dinosaurs for never owning an automatic transmission), I have a great tip for anyone who wants to play their CDs in the Camaro.

If you have your own portable CD player (CD? What's a CD? Isn't that a savings account at the bank???) in your old boxes in the basement or attic (or maybe you actually still use it), simply get a 3.5 mm male-to-male headphone patch cord and connect it to the auxiliary headphone jack in the armrest. Connect the other end to the headphone output from your CD player. Then you can either use the 12v power adapter if it came with one or batteries to run it. AUX shows up in your audio source options list when something is plugged into that port and viola! It sounds really good too!

I just have way too many CDs to sit down and transfer them to my iPhone. It would take me a month. It's much easier for me just go to my shelf and pick which ones I want to listen to in the car. I have about 800 songs on my iPhone now but that's not even a quarter of my collection.
You could always buy an Impala. It still has a CD player. Make sure though that it is a Premier.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #46
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Yeah that’s the biggest problem I have with everything being on a file/phone/thumb drive. The sound quality just gets messed up. My 1995 Panasonic CD player through my headphone patch cord to the AUX input has more punch than the same song on my iPhone through Bluetooth or CarPlay. When I get my system installed and get rid of the garbage B(l)ose system it will be even a hundred times better.
You can always try a lossless format, which would deliver sound equivalent to CDs.

I remember how back in the day people had similar quality objections against CDs vs vinyl, they all said 16 bits weren't enough, 44.1 kHz wasn't enough, and besides, you'd need gold plated connectors and cone mounted speakers anyway... However, to be honest and perhaps embarrass myself even more, mp3 (320 kbps) compression doesn't make the music I tend to listen to in the car any worse, when it's not quality-strapped siriusxm rock or country, it's hihat-boom-hihat-boom crap

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #47
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
For me the tech isn't difficult at all. I can transfer all my CDs to my phone or stick if I wanted to, that's not a problem. It's just, really, a waste of time to me.
Seems to me, it's not about the tech being difficult or even about the time involved to transfer it all.

When you're done, you still have to deal with searching your stick for what you want to listen to on any particular drive or trip, unless you're always, always, always willing to live with shuffle play or whatever track sequencing the electronics decide to use. Neither of those options holds any appeal to me; I might as well just listen to broadcast FM and call it close enough. Nor does paying a subscription fee when I already own what I might listen to a service for.

Last time I updated my CD database, I had 542 CDs, and I know it's grown a bit since. It's really just easier to grab the discs I want that day or for that trip and play them on my own schedule. Isn't that the whole point of bringing your own music along?

In cars that didn't have a built-in CD player, I'd use a discman with whatever adapting was necessary and never thought twice about it. It would be no big deal for the relatively few times I'm on a drive long enough to enjoy a CD to go back to playing them through a discman. It's not like these ears are going to much notice any loss of fidelity.

Norm
Old 08-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #48
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
I was just kidding. Everything I've got that is analog is in my "hoarding room" and has something wrong with it that would probably need a part which you probably couldn't get or have to go to ebay and pay out the ying yang for it. Thanks anyway. At least one thing works that I use is my turntable for my vinyl.
Ordering parts is a last resort. I try to rebuild and repair as much as possible.

But you’d be surprised at the parts you can find when you absolutely need them. Just have to know where to look.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #49
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
At the risk of being flamed for not embracing modern technology (as I've been accused of being stuck with the dinosaurs for never owning an automatic transmission), I have a great tip for anyone who wants to play their CDs in the Camaro.

If you have your own portable CD player (CD? What's a CD? Isn't that a savings account at the bank???) in your old boxes in the basement or attic (or maybe you actually still use it), simply get a 3.5 mm male-to-male headphone patch cord and connect it to the auxiliary headphone jack in the armrest. Connect the other end to the headphone output from your CD player. Then you can either use the 12v power adapter if it came with one or batteries to run it. AUX shows up in your audio source options list when something is plugged into that port and viola! It sounds really good too!

I just have way too many CDs to sit down and transfer them to my iPhone. It would take me a month. It's much easier for me just go to my shelf and pick which ones I want to listen to in the car. I have about 800 songs on my iPhone now but that's not even a quarter of my collection.
  1. OP if you have a Windows computer
  2. You can buy a usb CD player for like $20.
  3. And then a big usb drive for another $20.
  4. Then download Itunes from Apple.
  5. Rip those CDs at the highest quality.
  6. Build Playlists in Itunes
  7. PM me to get my CarPlayList software.
  8. Use that to transfer selected play lists on to the USB drive
  9. Dispose those plastic discs.

Then enjoy your music on the computer and in your Camaro.

If you had an Android phone you could copy the CarPlaylist right to your Phone and play your music anywhere.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #50
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

If you had an Android phone you could copy the CarPlaylist right to your Phone and play your music anywhere.
And how do I play that stick in my Adcom theater system if I get rid of my discs? I built that long before anyone heard of streaming and there’s far too many of my first paychecks at my first well paying job invested to replace anything now.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #51
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

Just a note, iTunes can already export playlists. It's a bit hidden, but the function is there. It's under File -> Library.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #52
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Hey OP, stick to your guns. I used to copy audio onto my phone, but realized I prefer my stuff to be more ad-hoc. (And I'm less tempted to stray from a full record). I hate when tinpot tyrants enter threads, towing a corporate line, like MBA wannabes or even actualies.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:16 AM   #53
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Just a note, iTunes can already export playlists. It's a bit hidden, but the function is there. It's under File -> Library.

Sent from toaster or something
Aha, I did not know this. CarPlaylist is more flexible in that you get more control over folder builds with both player formats (folder vs M3u lists). Some older cars only support folders, but MCUs and now NTFS work in the Camaro. Also once you build MCU style lists you can copy these right into your Android. I wonder if you can do that with Apple phones? I really just wrote CPL for myself but it has a small fan club.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #54
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

A word on playlists: I don't do them and actually have a thing against them. I listen to albums in their entirety as the artist intended. Few of my albums are "hits"..... If I want to hear Norwegian Wood I put the entire Rubber Soul album on. And any time anyone plays Money on the classic rock station it just doesn't work without the rest of Dark Side of the Moon.

I completely understand why Garth Brooks will never put his albums on iTunes - because they want people to be able to buy the songs individually and he intended his albums to be listened to in their entirety. As they should be.

People have zero attention spans today.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #55
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
A word on playlists: I don't do them and actually have a thing against them. I listen to albums in their entirety as the artist intended. Few of my albums are "hits"..... If I want to hear Norwegian Wood I put the entire Rubber Soul album on. And any time anyone plays Money on the classic rock station it just doesn't work without the rest of Dark Side of the Moon.

I completely understand why Garth Brooks will never put his albums on iTunes - because they want people to be able to buy the songs individually and he intended his albums to be listened to in their entirety. As they should be.

People have zero attention spans today.
There are definitely albums that are meant to be listened to all the way through like you describe. There are others that you can more easily pull a single song and not "lose anything".

Back to the idea of ripping... One thing you can do is to use small USB drives / SD Cards so that you only put a few albums onto each memory stick. Sort and combine content any way that makes sense to you (put Pink Floyd on one drive and The Beatles on another, for example). You would swap the drives / cards much like swapping CD's and wouldn't need playlists as the head unit in the car would allow you to play By Artist, By Album, etc.

I currently have about 7G of content on a single drive but am going to pare it down a bit and do things like:

- One artist on a drive with all of their content
- One type of music on a drive from various artists
- Random songs that I can just "shuffle" for my listening enjoyment
- Random songs that I can just "shuffly" for her listening enjoyement

Maybe other breakdowns as well as the SD Cards are cheap and it's just a matter of spending some time to pull together the music files and then copy them to the drive. And I can add or remove as I see fit over time.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #56
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
There are definitely albums that are meant to be listened to all the way through like you describe. There are others that you can more easily pull a single song and not "lose anything".
Don't most car CD players let you skip over a track you might not want to hear right then?

Quote:
Back to the idea of ripping... One thing you can do is to use small USB drives / SD Cards so that you only put a few albums onto each memory stick. Sort and combine content any way that makes sense to you (put Pink Floyd on one drive and The Beatles on another, for example). You would swap the drives / cards much like swapping CD's
I see what you're getting at . . . and that the further you take that approach the closer you get to having just as many SD cards to search through as CDs.

On setting up playlists . . . can't be bothered. The only kind of 'playlist' I need goes something like "which CD do I want to listen to?".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-17-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote