Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #519
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Do you know how long it would take me to put all my CDs on a stick or iPhone? I actually do have a few songs on my phone. I don't have time to transfer 800+ CDs.

And yes I can tell the difference in sound quality. Especially after I replace the Bose speakers with Focal ES.
20,000 songs took me 12 hours BUT I think it was because my Mac doesn't like USB 3.0 even though it supports it. If you haven't converted your CDs to some other format then it's going to take you even longer. If you have kids, grandkids, or neighbor kids then ask them do it for you. It took me many deployments to convert my CDs over.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #520
Blue's SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, for go, not show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
20,000 songs took me 12 hours BUT I think it was because my Mac doesn't like USB 3.0 even though it supports it. If you haven't converted your CDs to some other format then it's going to take you even longer. If you have kids, grandkids, or neighbor kids then ask them do it for you. It took me many deployments to convert my CDs over.
That's pretty much what I did. 30 minutes or an hour at a time when I had the time. Then uploaded them to the Amazon cloud. Now I keep the CDs as "hard copies" and use the cloud for storage. I'll never have to buy a new CD again of an album I've already bought on vinyl, cassette, or CD. And they'll never get stolen.

Camaro/Firebird fan since 1977!
Previous rides: 1965 Pontiac GTO, 1977 Trans Am Special Ed. "Bandit", 1996 Camaro 3.8, 2002 Camaro Z28, 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Spring Special Edition
Current ride: "SOUTHERNCROSS" - 2017 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Black w/BO4 56V RZ9 NPP SFE SH1 VW9 W2D
"And no BS! It's (the 1SS) everything you need and nothing you don't." -Craig Cole on the 1SS vs 2SS
"Reach above your dreams of pleasure, giving life to those who died. Look beyond your own horizons, sail the ship of signs." -RJD 'The Sign of the Southern Cross'
Blue's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #521
JiffyMo

Drives: Summit White 2016 V6 RS 2LT
No gas cap. That was a great surprise.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #522
catzgomew

Drives: 2016 V6 A8 2LT Silver Ice Coupe ZN2
I tried out the USB music thing today. Any suggestions for setting one up? Or just add the songs? Are there any limits?
catzgomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #523
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue's SS View Post
I'm guessing not as long as my 1200+ CD's but I got it done.

If you say you can hear a difference, so be it.
Good ears DEFINITELY hear the difference! MP3 is NOT lossless recording, unlike file types like .flac and .shn.

SO, that means the MP3 compression process reuses bits where it can and points back to those bits. You are not getting the actual recording! It's like the replicator on Star Trek.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #524
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Good ears DEFINITELY hear the difference! MP3 is NOT lossless recording, unlike file types like .flac and .shn.

SO, that means the MP3 compression process reuses bits where it can and points back to those bits. You are not getting the actual recording! It's like the replicator on Star Trek.
What file formats will the system read off of a USB stick? There are lots of high capacity sticks on the market for not a lot of money, so why not WAV, FLAC, or SHN on the sticks?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #525
Blue's SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, for go, not show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post

Enjoy your CD changer then.

Camaro/Firebird fan since 1977!
Previous rides: 1965 Pontiac GTO, 1977 Trans Am Special Ed. "Bandit", 1996 Camaro 3.8, 2002 Camaro Z28, 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Spring Special Edition
Current ride: "SOUTHERNCROSS" - 2017 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Black w/BO4 56V RZ9 NPP SFE SH1 VW9 W2D
"And no BS! It's (the 1SS) everything you need and nothing you don't." -Craig Cole on the 1SS vs 2SS
"Reach above your dreams of pleasure, giving life to those who died. Look beyond your own horizons, sail the ship of signs." -RJD 'The Sign of the Southern Cross'
Blue's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #526
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What file formats will the system read off of a USB stick? There are lots of high capacity sticks on the market for not a lot of money, so why not WAV, FLAC, or SHN on the sticks?
From page 168 of the manual (not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to give you the reference in case you wanted to read the full body of the section regarding what the USB port can do).

Quote:
The USB port can play both lower and upper case .mp3, .wma, .ogg, and .wav files stored on a USB storage device.
WAV files will work, but FLAC and SHN will not. WAV file sizes are huge, so I typically use 320 kbps MP3 files instead for the car since a lot of car radios don't play FLAC. There is some compression, but it doesn't sound like you lose much from a CD, in terms of depth and sound quality (or if it does, the degradation in quality is difficult to perceive in such a noisy environment).

I have some old MP3 files from when I was in high school that are 96 or 128 kbps, and the amount of compression on those files is astounding. There is no depth, and my cell phone conversations have better sound quality.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #527
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You can put them on USB drives, just not as many. the file sizes are bigger than mp3.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #528
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
From page 168 of the manual (not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to give you the reference in case you wanted to read the full body of the section regarding what the USB port can do).

WAV files will work, but FLAC and SHN will not. WAV file sizes are huge, so I typically use 320 kbps MP3 files instead for the car since a lot of car radios don't play FLAC. There is some compression, but it doesn't sound like you lose much from a CD, in terms of depth and sound quality (or if it does, the degradation in quality is difficult to perceive in such a noisy environment).

I have some old MP3 files from when I was in high school that are 96 or 128 kbps, and the amount of compression on those files is astounding. There is no depth, and my cell phone conversations have better sound quality.
This. A car is a terrible environment for high quality audio reproduction. Especially with a car with an LT1 and RFTs lol. But at the same time many mp3s are encoding poorly to begin with, so rip them yourself. I always use 320kbps when ripping my CDs too for this reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #529
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post

Thanks for the info! Not even remotely jerkish. I will go read that section sometime when I am at home.

I ripped my whole CD library to "high quality" AAC for iTunes. Personally, I think AAC sounds better than MP3. Anyhow, I wonder what I may want to do with those. I have tried attaching the 160GB iPod Classic to the USB port, and although it does work, navigation is painfully slow. Not just slow, but awful.

I am tempted (in spite of your quoting the manual) to throw a few AACs onto a stick and try them in the car, just to be sure it won't read them. Have you tried OGG? If it is good, maybe I can find an AAC to OGG converter and make a copy of my library for a big USB stick.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #530
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Please report back on which file formats work. Also, be sure to check the file system type. I tried a Patriot 64GB USB and it couldn't be read in the car because of some different default file system. I had to change to NTFS. I think it's in the manual somewhere what will work.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #531
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Just looked at the infotainment manual, p.26

mp3, wma, aac, m4a, and aif are supported via USB
wma and apple lossless not supported

I was pretty sure aac is supported because I was having a problem using mp3gain to normalize the playback for all mine on my 32GB stick. Turned out it didn't work with AAC files so converted to MP3. So mine was definitely playing AAC.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #532
pdrumans

Drives: 2LT Red Hot 2.0t
I never realized that there was a split in grille trim until today. Looks like a tow hook is in back of there. One of those things you think to yourself " I cant believe it took me this long to notice it"
Attached Images

pdrumans is offline   Reply With Quote