Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #519
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Unless your electrical panel is maxed out it should cost $200 to add a 50 amp breaker and NEMA-50 outlet. You will save that in that month in gas in the first month of ownership. The charger comes included with the car. This will be a transition over time, but most folks that drive 30-50 miles per day will EVs are a non-issue.
Yes you can. I can.

Most Americans aren’t trained/skilled electricians.

Again, the focus here is average Joe American. They have no bloody clue what the hell a NEMA-50 is to begin with. A good skilled electrician to do it right? In many houses that have no basement and the customer won’t want to see conduit on their walls?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #520
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

The person driving a $5,000 car every day is also not buying a new non EV either. At some point EVs will be solid used cars that fit that market. I can find a Nissan Leaf right now for well under 10k now. And don't come back with the batteries won't last. They will as well an an ICE in a $5,000 car.
Yeah, there is a good reason why those old Leaf's are that cheap: their batteries are usually on their last legs. And they are criminally ugly, too.

So hopefully, you are taking that extra battery cost into consideration when buying one of those.

Meanwhile, a $1000 99 Corolla can have amazing range. EV's range is still proportional to its cost, so if you want good range and cost, you are still out of luck, for now.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #521
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Yeah, there is a good reason why those old Leaf's are that cheap: their batteries are usually on their last legs. And they are criminally ugly, too.

I thought of getting was as a kind like a golf cart for driving around town. But even then, how do you even know the condition of the battery without driving from full charged to empty? I've heard they're are ways to evaluate the condition of the battery. Seems like for used ev's, a battery assessment is more important the the miles it has.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #522
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I thought of getting was as a kind like a golf cart for driving around town. But even then, how do you even know the condition of the battery without driving from full charged to empty? I've heard they're are ways to evaluate the condition of the battery. Seems like for used ev's, a battery assessment is more important the the miles it has.
There are definitely tools built-in to assess that. Some laptops actually have that functionality built-in, for example. My older Lenovo laptops had the Lenovo Vantage app, which can display the battery wear level, while my current Surface Book 3 has a built-in command that can generate a battery report(I think it's Surface family exclusive). For a car, that probably gets integrated as part of the OBD2 port.

If you look at Leaf, there are also studies that show standard-range Leaf has noticeably worse battery wear than long-range Leaf. Batteries hate deep cycling in general, and your depth of discharge, with the same trip, will be worse on a smaller battery pack. Realistically, you probably want to keep your lithium batteries between 40% to 80% to minimize wear. So take a car's maximum range, multiply that by 0.4~0.5(some manufacturers leave some "hidden" capacity for this exact reason), and see if you can work with that.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #523

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
These are pretty common in beach cities, resort towns...Low speed limits, street legal...

https://www.e3vehicles.com/
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #524
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Adding a little humor to this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHolderne...5100827295064/
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #525
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
They are getting better, but a lot of those examples you posted are quite expensive haha.

True for people that own houses it might not be a big deal, but what about the people that live in condos, apartments or high rises that don't have dedicated parking spots? What about the people that live in the outskirts of a city that have houses but have street parking and sometimes have to park 3 blocks away from home?
No doubt. Tesla is trying to get the price down but $39.5k for a Standard Range Plus Model 3 (263 miles on a full charge) is about as cheap as they can get it right now. As the battery tech keeps dropping in price I think a $30k model is possible in the future.

Agreed on the charging challenges in apartment complexes, parking garages, etc. Eventually I imagine building owners will start to install 50 amp circuits that are accessible from the parking spaces or they will negotiate with companies to install Fast/Super chargers. This will take more time. The early adopters right now are those folks with single family homes that can afford a $40k vehicle.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 05-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #526
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
There are definitely tools built-in to assess that. Some laptops actually have that functionality built-in, for example. My older Lenovo laptops had the Lenovo Vantage app, which can display the battery wear level, while my current Surface Book 3 has a built-in command that can generate a battery report(I think it's Surface family exclusive). For a car, that probably gets integrated as part of the OBD2 port.

If you look at Leaf, there are also studies that show standard-range Leaf has noticeably worse battery wear than long-range Leaf. Batteries hate deep cycling in general, and your depth of discharge, with the same trip, will be worse on a smaller battery pack. Realistically, you probably want to keep your lithium batteries between 40% to 80% to minimize wear. So take a car's maximum range, multiply that by 0.4~0.5(some manufacturers leave some "hidden" capacity for this exact reason), and see if you can work with that.
GM did just that for the original Volt. Bad things happen when you stretch those limits. Part of the reason the EV range was not incredible.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #527
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Unless your electrical panel is maxed out it should cost $200 to add a 50 amp breaker and NEMA-50 outlet. You will save that in that month in gas in the first month of ownership. The charger comes included with the car. This will be a transition over time, but most folks that drive 30-50 miles per day will EVs are a non-issue.
Mine was maxed out.

Would have cost $1700 for a new breaker box. I just got a two way NEMA 10-30 cord so i can use a level 2 charger and my dryer without all that BS on a new box and all that crap.

I only drive 50 miles a week so even the slow level one charger was more than i need. I can go a month without charging. I just charge 5 hours every Sunday and it adds $7 more to the power bill. Now with gas prices going out of control i don't see it ever going down again. There is just gonna be more and more reason for it go up.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #528
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Mine was maxed out.

Would have cost $1700 for a new breaker box. I just got a two way NEMA 10-30 cord so i can use a level 2 charger and my dryer without all that BS on a new box and all that crap.

I only drive 50 miles a week so even the slow level one charger was more than i need. I can go a month without charging. I just charge 5 hours every Sunday and it adds $7 more to the power bill. Now with gas prices going out of control i don't see it ever going down again. There is just gonna be more and more reason for it go up.
I hear you. One other consideration is you can usually deduct the cost of installation on your taxes to help a bit. This is a good article for folks to check out that pretty much sums up what you just said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtem...h=3d42c9b92705
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 05-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #529

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Adding a little humor to this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHolderne...5100827295064/
Good idea...lol...Here's another one..(Hopefully, still just "funny"...lol)

Old video...Prius(EV) vs ICE..??.lol....

Last edited by 90503; 05-12-2021 at 06:55 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #530
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Good idea...lol...Here's another one..(Hopefully, still just "funny"...lol)

Old video...Prius(EV) vs ICE..??.lol....

Nice one! Haven't seen Andy Richter in a while.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 05-12-2021, 10:35 PM   #531
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think at some point this fast-charging on the road will become woefully inadequate, even with a push to get it up asap...

Lines at Costco and other places for gas will pale in comparison to the lines for electricity.

Right now charging is pretty much getting a free ride. Soon, though, when most have to wait in line for a charge, on top of the actual charge time, the party will be over.

The EV Fast Charge station of the not too distant future:

Premium Charge Plug-in....No waiting...... Price....Don't ask...

Mid Grade Charge Plug-in ...30-60 minutes wait for a plug....Price....A lot...

Regular Grade Plug-in....1 hour plus wait for a plug....Price....Lower than the others...

Just sayin' the wait times even out in the boonies for a plug will become a royal pain.

The demand will produce higher costs for convenience...Just a thought.
90% of EV owners charge their vehicles at home. The charging stations are nice to have, but not necessary for day to day driving, even with a long commute. This is all due to better EV efficiency and the corresponding longer range.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #532
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
90% of EV owners charge their vehicles at home. The charging stations are nice to have, but not necessary for day to day driving, even with a long commute. This is all due to better EV efficiency and the corresponding longer range.
This necessarily assumes home ownership, either single-family or duplex/condo dwelling with off-street parking that's preferably under cover.

That lifestyle is out of reach for a great many people, and completely takes the "charge at home" option off the table for them. Now, how does that get resolved with the push to make EVs "for everybody"?

Norm