Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #477
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
Admittedly I do not have more than a handful of track days on my SS. Wish I had one every weekend but I have other priorities that take up my time. For people in the market for a PP2 or a 1LE it would obviously be the top priority.

For people who do a few fun days at the track and a couple test and tune runs at the strip the PP1 is probably great (better even if auto equipped). But for Ford to say they have been working on an "answer" to the 1LE this PP2 has to meet some high expectations and thus far "Police" brakes and a bigger radiator with cooler wheels is not enough.

If we find out that the PP2 has the GT 350 suspension and magnaride tuning and they fixed that God-awful MT-82 then I will be more optimistic.

The MT-82 has been an issue since the 2011 GT. I had a 2012 and it really wasn't a problem but others it is. Its a luck of the draw whether you have issues or not. For the past week I have been seriously considering purchasing a 2013 Boss, the car is mint and dealer claims no issues at all with the transmission. Been looking for one at the right price and condition for a year. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, maybe tomorrow. If I can't get it into gear on a 7000-rpm shift I'll walk away.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #478
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
The MT-82 has been an issue since the 2011 GT. I had a 2012 and it really wasn't a problem but others it is. Its a luck of the draw whether you have issues or not. For the past week I have been seriously considering purchasing a 2013 Boss, the car is mint and dealer claims no issues at all with the transmission. Been looking for one at the right price and condition for a year. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, maybe tomorrow. If I can't get it into gear on a 7000-rpm shift I'll walk away.
The MT-82 was ok in my 2013, but complete crap in my 2015. Compared to the Tremec they both sucked. Lots and lots of clunks and missed shifts at high rpm. Also my 2015 has a bad clutch in it from the factory. Literally fell apart at 800 miles lol.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #479
Hasti

Drives: 2017 Hot Red 2ss Auto adrenaline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol4rfl4re View Post
Wonder how many people raving about handling actually take any of their cars to actual tracks.
Autocross every weekend, Track days when no autocross count?
Hasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #480
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
The MT-82 was ok in my 2013, but complete crap in my 2015. Compared to the Tremec they both sucked. Lots and lots of clunks and missed shifts at high rpm. Also my 2015 has a bad clutch in it from the factory. Literally fell apart at 800 miles lol.
The MT82 is literally the sole reason I didn't buy a Mustang. The panel gaps, and most other issues the Mustang has are fixable with or without the aftermarket.

The transmission was just a deal breaker for me. No thanks! After having a Tremec in my 5th Gen 1LE, I just cannot take that much of a step backward in a 'next' gen car. Its a joke of a transmission.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #481
Sol4rfl4re
Banned

Drives: Mustang GT
We'll see with the new one. Has different ratios along with twin disk and dual mass flywheel.
Sol4rfl4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #482
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol4rfl4re View Post
We'll see with the new one. Has different ratios along with twin disk and dual mass flywheel.
Ah yes, I thought you were the one that told me about the changes. I hope it fixes the issues. I really thought Ford would pass the Tremec down the line following end of production on the GT350, but seems they are not doing that.

I hope it fixes the issues.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #483
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
I suspect that you are right. Which is a shame because in my mind the GT 350R should be competing with the ZL1 1LE.... Not competing with a FBO 1LE
why? It was designed to compete with the Z28 and it did so while delivering better street manners, using inferior tires and at a lower MSRP. Why would you expect it to compete with an all-out track focused supercharged car?
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #484
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I think the % is the same as GT350 owners. Not much.

The difference is 1LE owners didn't pay $60K+ for their garage queen.
And 1LE owners didn't pay huge markups either, lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
My 15 GT had no trans issues although it did clunk a lot and very loudly. Especially after the 1>2 shift. My friend has a 15 GT as well and his held up. It is still holding up even with a blower. But I know of many who had issues with the trans. I would not buy one used. My 15 was used but it had less than 600 miles on it. That is the only reason I bought it used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
why? It was designed to compete with the Z28 and it did so while delivering better street manners, using inferior tires and at a lower MSRP. Why would you expect it to compete with an all-out track focused supercharged car?
Just drop the act. All of these cars will always be pitted against any rival car. Saying it wasn't designed to compete with this or that is a loser's argument. They're both "Pony Cars", they're priced about the same, and their both at the best that the manufacturers make right now. So they're gonna be compared. The ZL1 isn't a straight line car like the Hellcat is. But they get compared in the quarter mile all the time. And guess which one is faster. For not being a straight line car the ZL1 is a good few tenths faster stock to stock. And regardless it was still stupid of Ford to make a car to directly compete with the Z28 when the Z28 and the entire 5th Gen was in it's last year of production. That was a dumbass move.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #485
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Because it is Ford's all-out track focused car. The MSRP of the 350R is similar to the ZL1. Add in the ADM and the 350R is in the price range of a Z06. The ZL1 and the 350R will get compared because they are in the same price range. That is just common sense.

Ford has been busy chasing ghosts this entire generation. The Z28 is not in production anymore.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #486
ST1LE

Quote:
I think he means that its kinda dumb to have your new Halo car targeted to beat the competitions out of production Halo car. More like "Something should compete with the ZL1 1LE."
Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #487
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
In the last generation, the lighter, naturally aspirated Boss 302 and Z/28 were faster than the more powerful, supercharged, GT500 and ZL1. The GT350R weighs 187 lbs less than the ZL1-1LE (3,650 vs 3,837 lbs) and has carbon-fiber wheels that remove 16 lbs of unsprung weight at each corner.

The GT350R has a FPC engine and chassis specifically designed to be a track car. The ZL1 is a parts bin car built on a sedan chassis with a band aided LT4 engine. (per M6G fanboys)

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 10-19-2017 at 04:50 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #488
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Because it is Ford's all-out track focused car. The MSRP of the 350R is similar to the ZL1. Add in the ADM and the 350R is in the price range of a Z06. The ZL1 and the 350R will get compared because they are in the same price range. That is just common sense.

Ford has been busy chasing ghosts this entire generation. The Z28 is not in production anymore.
what does MSRP have to do with anything? If Ford had intended the 350 to be an answer to a future ZL1 they would have put F.I. on it. Its not like its a huge secret as to what motor GM was going to use to power the 6th gen ZL1, but thats not the 350's territory...Ford will have the 500 for that.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #489
Sol4rfl4re
Banned

Drives: Mustang GT
I agree that the GT350 wasn't meant to compete with the future ZL1. To say so it's idiotic. Boss 302 was a track focused NA car, the GT350 followed in its footsteps as the guinea pig for parts to be later passed down to base mustangs.
Sol4rfl4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #490
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
In the last generation, the lighter, naturally aspirated Boss 302 and Z/28 were faster than the more powerful, supercharged, GT500 and ZL1. The GT350R weighs 187 lbs less than the ZL1-1LE (3,650 vs 3,837 lbs) and has carbon-fiber wheels that remove 16 lbs of unsprung weight at each corner.

The GT350R has a FPC engine and chassis specifically designed to be a track car. The ZL1 is a parts bin car built on a sedan chassis with a band aided LT4 engine. (per M6G fanboys)
wrong the gt500 was faster than the B302LS

187lbs and carbon fiber wheels cant possibly offset 125hp, 225ftlbs, DSSV dampers, dive planes, and a baby ACR wing...it wasn't designed to.