Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #29
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
Viper, did the 5.0 have the stock gears or the 3.73s?

I test drove one with the 3.73s and the speed was indeed deceiving. It's alot quieter than my car is (mine is not stock btw), and it had less of a 'kick in the butt' feel than mine has, but a look down at the speedo proved to me that it did get up and go.

I've only driven one 6-speed before in my life and these 5.0s have a short throw shifters, so I can't compare the shifting to mine fairly. I did notice the unusual placement for Reverse though.
It was an auto with the 3.15's.

The best way I can discribe it is in an auto is:

Take a breath and let it out, you're now at 35
Take another, and before you let it out, you're at 60

another two breaths and you're passing 80

Its that fast, and you really dont know how fast you are going by the feel of the car or the sound of the engine, you actually have to go by the tach and speedo.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #30
chain777

Drives: Slow
Nice write-up. There's two things that jump out to me.

1. Were the speed limiters disabled on all these cars? Must have been looking at the high speed runs.

2. I don't know how you managed that kind of gas mileage, especially considering you were performance testing these cars. They'd have a hard time getting those numbers in regular daily use.

I'm not disputing anything your saying, just wondering if you reset the MPG's after you did the performance driving.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #31
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
Nice write-up. There's two things that jump out to me.

1. Were the speed limiters disabled on all these cars? Must have been looking at the high speed runs.

2. I don't know how you managed that kind of gas mileage, especially considering you were performance testing these cars. They'd have a hard time getting those numbers in regular daily use.

I'm not disputing anything your saying, just wondering if you reset the MPG's after you did the performance driving.
1:
Challenger-yes
Camaro-yes
Mustang-yes

2:
Alot of the driving I did was on highways and country/hill backroads. Aside from the trips down the strip and some city driving alot of it was more cruising with some honking around.

Plant it in 90%+ city driving and the fuel economy would go into the toilet.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #32
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Great write-up. I've never driven a Challenger, but drove both an SS and 5.0 while I was shopping around. Both were manuals. I agree with pretty much everything you said about the Camaro and Mustang.

I always thought I'd get a Camaro, but was very impressed with the 5.0 when I got a chance to drive one. Both are excellent cars, and I would have been happy with either. It's the small details that made the difference though...shifter a little smoother, clutch more linear and easier to use, steering feel was better...that just made it more fun to drive. So, I ended up surprising myself by ordering the Mustang, even if it did mean swallowing hard over the styling. (Kona Blue or Black is a must to help hide the dark plastic cladding that surrounds the bottom of the car).
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #33
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Great write-up. I've never driven a Challenger, but drove both an SS and 5.0 while I was shopping around. Both were manuals. I agree with pretty much everything you said about the Camaro and Mustang.

I always thought I'd get a Camaro, but was very impressed with the 5.0 when I got a chance to drive one. Both are excellent cars, and I would have been happy with either. It's the small details that made the difference though...shifter a little smoother, clutch more linear and easier to use, steering feel was better...that just made it more fun to drive. So, I ended up surprising myself by ordering the Mustang, even if it did mean swallowing hard over the styling. (Kona Blue or Black is a must to help hide the dark plastic cladding that surrounds the bottom of the car).

The electronically boosted steering is very nice! Makes the car so very responsive and no power steering "whine"
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #34
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBelarus View Post
3920 sounds like a biggest wheels on?... Mistake, which will correct some perfomance times.

if ur rank is about perfomance, then it should be like:

1. Mustang, Camaro equal.
2. Challenger R/T
or
1. , Camaro, Mustang, Challenger Srt-8. Equal.
or
1. Camaro stick
2. Mustang stick
3. Challenger stick.

If its about driving DD
1. Camaro
2. Challenger
3. Mustang

If its about exterior

1.Camaro
2.Challenger

9.Mustang

I cant understand, even if mustang is better in perfomance with auto, why to place challenger after it, when u own it and chose it to buy... Its more comfortable, the WAY better looking, then mustang... Only cos of perfomance? Thats strange.

Anyway, thanks for an opinion!
I can kinda agree with that first ranking where the camaro and mustang were equal and the challenger came in 2nd but the other two about performance don't really go since he didn't test the SRT8 and he didn't test the stick shifts only the automatics again I don't mean to be rude just pointing some stuff out there and viper very nice write up I like how you kept it fair and weren't biased towards any one particular car
AMPM1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #35
ViperTomcat
Banned

I'm glad you all liked it. If anyone has any questions about the cars or such that I didnt cover, feel free to ask here or shoot me a PM
Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #36
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
If driven on the highway, you'd be amazed how efficient these cars can be. If you can find gas without ethanol, and set the cruise at the speed limit, all three of these cars could probably crack 30mpg on the interstate, better on slower two lane roads.

Earlier this summer, I took a 5000 mile road trip with the family in a 2005 Mustang GT, and averaged 28-29, driven conservatively most (but not all) of the time.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #37
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired

Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
I saw a new mustang from a distance and said its a Challenger, no Camaro, no what is it??? Then got closer and realized it was a mustang. I think it is having an identity crisis. Me no like.

Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #38
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Thanks for posting your thoughts about the cars ViperTomcat. I'm extremely jealous you got to play behind the wheel of all three! Like most enthusiasts, I wish I owned one of each as they evoke emotion consistent with their heritage.

Still trying to talk my dad into buying a Challenger so I have "access" to one LOL

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #39
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
I will take one of each!

Good write up! Would like one of each please!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #40
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Excellent write up, it seems that when it comes down to it, if you don't own either and test drive both, the mustang is the clear winner. Just a better overall car.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #41
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
Excellent write up, it seems that when it comes down to it, if you don't own either and test drive both, the mustang is the clear winner. Just a better overall car.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with this. The IRS of the Camaro and the deeper throaty sound does not trump the new Mustang GT's overall refinements, and the feel of shifting. The stock Mustang GT feels better than the Camaro MGW shifter in my opinion having driven that and miles ahead of the stock Camaro shifter. That is the biggest difference. Second would be the cabin view and comfort level. The seats are more comfortable and the passenger seat can be raised.. I love my Camaro's dash and interior but prefer the Mustangs including the cup-holder area which is cover-able so you can rest your arm there while shifting. I will miss my Camaro however I will remain a member and friend in this forum without a doubt. It's been a great ride since March of 2008 when I first joined.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #42
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
you sure got incredible acceleration out of an RT and an auto GT.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote