Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-23-2023, 08:18 AM   #29
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
I just hit 1500 miles for the break-in so I will more readily go above 4k rpm as the need arises. It just seems odd to me that I would have to rev well past 4k rpm in 1st gear to get the pushed in the back feeling for the LT1 but I'll give it a shot.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:26 AM   #30
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Yes.

Op Try 1-3-5 shifting for around town.

1st gear might be slow because of traction control
Yep, I do this when casually driving.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #31
LTfun

Drives: 2022 LT1, 1981 320i
I almost always take off in 1st, unless I've already got some momentum/speed.

With that said, I don't see how doing what the OP is doing is bad for the trans. I've seen some folks say it will put more stress on the gears... not more then banging through them, which the car should be able to do anyway. Heat from the from clutch? Not more than a good chunk of spirited driving which again shouldn't even get close to temps that can cause permanent damage. Wearing out the clutch faster, sure. I'm pretty certain he'll have to replace his clutch a bit sooner than someone who drives even smoother and rides it less but its really not that serious.

Last edited by LTfun; 06-23-2023 at 01:30 PM.
LTfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:05 AM   #32
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
I just hit 1500 miles for the break-in so I will more readily go above 4k rpm as the need arises. It just seems odd to me that I would have to rev well past 4k rpm in 1st gear to get the pushed in the back feeling for the LT1 but I'll give it a shot.

honestly it just sounds like you aren't pressing the throttle far enough if it's boring in 1st gear. you don't "need" to be above 4k to have fun. also try sport mode since the throttle is the most linear for light throttle (tour and track are both tame on low throttle)
Old 06-23-2023, 11:58 AM   #33
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
You can get what you're looking for in 1st for only about 1 second, then you will be on the rev limiter. With the 3.01 first gear and 3.73 rear gears, 1st is just too low to get a high torque pull like you are looking for before needing to grab 2nd. You are not going to damage the trans by starting out in 2nd... like others have said, it just wears the clutch more. I always start in 1st, and generally drag it out to a gentle 3500-4000rpm before leisurely shifting to the next gear on my daily drive, I like the sound of the exhaust. I have 116K miles on the original clutch.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 02:13 PM   #34
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Hellooooo future new clutch!

You need addition clutch slip to start in second = wear = new clutch disc eventually.

Also, my ZL1 first gear - and I’ll just assume your SS first gear- is really tall anyhow. Needs more slip than any other car I’ve had - BMW M3, Z4, 135i, 118i.

Best suggestion here is first/third/fifth. And get the skip shift eliminator from Amazon ($15).

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:15 PM   #35
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTfun View Post
I almost always take off in 1st, unless I've already got some momentum/speed.

With that said, I don't see how doing what the OP is doing is bad for the trans. I've seen some folks say it will put more stress on the gears... not more then banging through them, which the car should be able to do anyway. Heat from the from clutch? Not more than a good chunk of spirited driving which again shouldn't even get close to temps that can cause permanent damage. Wearing out the clutch faster, sure. I'm pretty certain he'll have to replace his clutch a bit sooner than someone who drives even smoother and rides it less but its really not that serious.
Same. This is my thinking as well. I am not convinced on how starting in 2nd gear damages or wears out the transmission itself. As has been discussed multiple times, this will lead to more wear on the clutch. That dead horse is well beaten. The clutch is a wear item and I don’t believe it’s covered under warranty anyways. Even if it is, I view it same as brakes, you wear it out, you replace them. For instance, if I am hard on my brakes and wear then out in 1000 miles, I wouldn’t expect GM to replace them under warranty.

I think it’s ok to have a difference of opinion on starting in 2nd gear but if some are going to claim that doing so degrades the transmission itself in some way but are not willing to explain how, I am sorry but that’s just made-up facts . I tried googling it and outside of extra clutch wear that has already been discussed to death, I can’t find any mention of degradation to the transmission itself.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:17 PM   #36
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keko View Post
honestly it just sounds like you aren't pressing the throttle far enough if it's boring in 1st gear. you don't "need" to be above 4k to have fun. also try sport mode since the throttle is the most linear for light throttle (tour and track are both tame on low throttle)
Oh yeah, I drive in Sport pretty much all the time except when entering/leaving my neighborhood and want the exhaust quiet or on a road trip.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:27 PM   #37
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
You can get what you're looking for in 1st for only about 1 second, then you will be on the rev limiter. With the 3.01 first gear and 3.73 rear gears, 1st is just too low to get a high torque pull like you are looking for before needing to grab 2nd. You are not going to damage the trans by starting out in 2nd... like others have said, it just wears the clutch more. I always start in 1st, and generally drag it out to a gentle 3500-4000rpm before leisurely shifting to the next gear on my daily drive, I like the sound of the exhaust. I have 116K miles on the original clutch.
I like the sound of the exhaust too . I just didn't think I needed to have the engine screaming all the time to get that kick in a 455 torque engine on 1st gear. That said, I am yet to get it past 5krpm. Will try a redline 1st gear pull to see what that feels like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
Hellooooo future new clutch!

You need addition clutch slip to start in second = wear = new clutch disc eventually.

Also, my ZL1 first gear - and I’ll just assume your SS first gear- is really tall anyhow. Needs more slip than any other car I’ve had - BMW M3, Z4, 135i, 118i.

Best suggestion here is first/third/fifth. And get the skip shift eliminator from Amazon ($15).

Hahaha, already have the skip shift installed (absolute pain in the ass to install btw). I do the first/third/fifth too. But it's mostly when not aggressively driving.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:17 AM   #38
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
How many of you consistently take off in 2nd gear?

As I have now become one with the machine in-terms of learning how to drive a manual smoothly , for the past week or so, I have been experimenting with taking off in 2nd gear compared to always doing it in 1st. So far, I have to say this has made my driving experience much more enjoyable. I now always do it unless it’s from a moderate to steep hill.

I never got the throw-you-in-the-back of your seat feeling in 1st gear ever since I started driving this car. Maybe I am doing it wrong but most times I find myself having to rev it quite a bit (>4000 rpm) in 1st to cover decent ground. I don’t have pro race driver shifting speed so by the time I shift into 2nd, I feel like everyone has passed me. The TR6060’s non-smoothness shifting from 1st to 2nd doesn’t help matters. I particularly don’t enjoy having to shift from 1st to 2nd when making a right or left through an intersection which I tend to do when taking off in 1st.

Taking off in 2nd so far has been a really fun experience. After smoothly engaging the clutch and releasing it, I get the throw-you-in-the-back of your seat feeling and in the blink of an eye, the car is already past 60mph.

Anyone else have similar experiences good or bad?

Also, any cons in taking off in 2nd gear besides slightly more clutch wear? Any engine lugging concerns?
From a person who grew up driving manuals for his whole life and owned only manual sports cars, my advice is you are fine as long as you are gentle with the take offs and not on a uphill. Even 4 cylinder cars and suvs in snow and ice mode, they disengage first gear to limit slipping and the vehicle starts in second gear. However there is a catch. The gearing allows enough torque without damaging the engine and drivetrain. Now with a camaro, especially a V8, you have more than enough torque on second gear to move the car from a dead stop, especially if you are not on a uphill. Just never dump the clutch on high rpm on second gear and instead try to use the friction zone with a gentle touch of gas pedal.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 08:32 AM   #39
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Redline in 1st gear? Are you trying to blow up your engine weekend_cruiser?
Old 06-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #40
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMN View Post
From a person who grew up driving manuals for his whole life and owned only manual sports cars, my advice is you are fine as long as you are gentle with the take offs and not on a uphill. Even 4 cylinder cars and suvs in snow and ice mode, they disengage first gear to limit slipping and the vehicle starts in second gear. However there is a catch. The gearing allows enough torque without damaging the engine and drivetrain. Now with a camaro, especially a V8, you have more than enough torque on second gear to move the car from a dead stop, especially if you are not on a uphill. Just never dump the clutch on high rpm on second gear and instead try to use the friction zone with a gentle touch of gas pedal.
Right on. I don't do it on uphills. I also don't dump the clutch on take-off, 2nd or 1st gear. I am able to feather the clutch and take off as smoothly in 2nd as I do in 1st. Having the car buck on take-off is not something I find enjoyable so I most definitely take-off smoothly in 2nd or 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Redline in 1st gear? Are you trying to blow up your engine weekend_cruiser?
Oh no , not quite redline. I will take it to a little over 6krpm in 1st to see if I can get the kick most are claiming I should be experiencing. I followed the break-in procedure for the most part so I will be very disappointed if the engine failed at the first taste of 6krpm.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:22 AM   #41
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
The m6 cars go much faster and 60ft better on 26” tires so they still like more gear. You will go much slower in 2nd. It is not a 1000rwhp auto car
Old 06-24-2023, 01:08 PM   #42
2k2ss

Drives: 2002ss
I understand what your saying! I felt the same way like it doesn’t feel like 450hp car! I added one of the after market throttle controllers and it made a huge difference!
2k2ss is offline   Reply With Quote