Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If this C8 Corvette is a sales success and given rave reviews after the initial launch, then no manual will be a non-issue. Should there be a significant amount of C8 owners who come to regret their purchase and pine for a manual and future sales suffer, then maybe a manual will be offered at some point in a few more model years down the road.

If the current C7 take rate for manuals has only been 15%, give the C8 trans a few years and see what happens. Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #30
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
I grew up in an era where if you had an automatic in your sports car, it was a POS. As a teenager, it was common to say the phrase- "Yeah, but it's an automatic" when referring to a nice car.

It's not all about performance, it's about preference. I still prefer a manual in my ZL1 (obviously) because it feels like I'm driving the car as opposed to it driving me. I'll gladly give up a few tenths in the 1/4 for the driving experience. I'm not a drag racer, so 1/4 times are just a way to measure your dick at the water cooler.

Manuals are unfortunately becoming extinct. I think a lot of it is due to the fact that cars have become so expensive, they are generally out of reach for the younger buyer that would also prefer a manual. I'd say the average age of a Corvette buyer is 55+. Older people get enjoyment from different things than younger people and buy cars for different reason many times. I probably won't want to shift when I'm in my mid-50's, and most likely won't be physically able to.
That's pretty funny. I'm 56 and it's hard for me to imagine a time when I couldn't shift.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #31
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Respectfully disagree. The only clutch in an automatic locks the drivetrain for FE purposes. It still relies on a torque convertor, which earns an automatic the endearing term "slush box".

A DCT is for all intents and purposes a manual transmission. A clutch must be disengaged in order to shift gears. The wonderment of the DCT is you have another gear path with another clutch ready to go which is why they shift so fast. Yes, computer controlled and far less engaging if you like to drive using your left foot and right arm for something while driving.

But it is NOT a true manual because the driver doesn't have to do anything. It drives almost identically to an automatic. Almost.

Fun fact, when the C7 was originally a Mid Engine design (pre bankruptcy) the car got longer and heavier because GM had to put a torque converter in along WITH the DCT. At that time drivability of DCTs around town, stop start was quite bad, even in the best of super cars. Working and timing the clutches was rough at that time. Ultimately that program died and we got what we affectionately called the C6.5, and you can thank the Government for the C7. It was their idea.
I think you are mixing up automatic and hydramatic transmissions. DCT is auto, it's just not a torque converter auto. It's controlled AUTOMATICALLY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

An automatic transmission, also called auto, self-shifting transmission, n-speed automatic
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #32
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
I wonder how the fit the clutch and shifter in the C8.R for the sequential box that’s in it. If the dual clutch A8 was that good they wouldn’t have put a manual clutch in the race car.

Tells me the there’s a path for the Z06 / ZR1
I'm sure there is plenty of room when you don't have to make room for golf bags and seats that recline back
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Looks like Porsche gets it...... manual trans is now available in more 911 models than just the GT3

https://www.windingroad.com/articles...eid=bda5eadaba
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #34
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Having a Manual in a C8 sounds good... but looking at how well the Camaro ZLE A10 performed and the C8.R performed.. I doubt it. Its a nice dream though.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #35
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
No, a dual clutch transmission is not a manual, and especially not when it's in an application which has a fully automatic mode that won't keep bouncing off the rev limiter/ fuel cutoff if you don't shift up a gear or allow the engine to stall if the revs get too low and you don't downshift.

What you're describing is functionally no different than manual upshift and downshift electronic buttons on the steering wheel or transmission lever, you're just changing the location and complexity of how those buttons work to more closely simulate a true manual transmission's function - but it's still video game controller buttons.

Maybe if you had some kind of EPAS-like electromechanical device that would depress and release a clutch pedal with the normal physical connection between pedal and transmission you could make an argument... but that's not what's available.

At best, in a street car, what you've got is a manually actuated automatic transmission, or more accurately an OPTIONALLY manual actuated automatic transmission, and whether the rest of the transmission is dual clutch or slush box matters as much for what general kind of transmission they are as whether a differential is Haldex or Torsen - both are limited slip type, and all the arguing in the world over which LSD is better doesn't change that neither are open.
totally wrong, you need to look up how a DCT works. It is a manual transmission. All that would be required is to make a system for the driver to manually control the clutch and gear selection. It's not an insurmountable engineering problem by any means.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #36
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmonba6Gen View Post
Having a Manual in a C8 sounds good... but looking at how well the Camaro ZLE A10 performed and the C8.R performed.. I doubt it. Its a nice dream though.
The C8.R has a manual trans.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #37
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
That's pretty funny. I'm 56 and it's hard for me to imagine a time when I couldn't shift.
agree!!

In fact I was just at a car show this weekend in my other Camaro - a T56 equipped 71 with a 520hp 406, and this stunning 67 Roadrunner rumbled in. I had to go take a look - the car had a 800hp 528 hemi and 4 speed, and the owner was a super cool and nice guy that was in his 70's who also owned manual trans vipers, Saleen Mustang, 2010 Camaro SS and had 17 previous Corvettes - all manual.

My new hero - that's what I aspire to be doing in 20 years. He graduated from college before I was born and I am in my 50's...

c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #38
Mark19

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
I’ve been a manual guy my entire driving life and have always loved rowing the gears and the control you get with it. That was until I drove and ultimately purchased my A10 SS. I am completely sold on the modern autos and for me, they are actually more fun than a manual. Not to mention faster and more precise. Just my opinion.
Mark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #39
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Why manual? There is no performance gain. In fact there would be a performance loss. Is it just because some like the feel of the manual? The automatic would walk all over the manual no matter how good the driver of the manual is. I think Chevy cares more about performance and also knows that the cost of putting in a manual would not reap any financial benefits. Automatics far out-sell manuals. If putting a manual tranny in the C8 would make the company money they’d do it in a heartbeat. Fact is, they would not make any money so they won’t do it. I’m sure there will be people out there who will convert them, but Chevy won’t do it.

But hey...maybe they will surprise everyone and do it anyway.

Why a manual??? Maybe so you can do this.....

That alone is worth 2/10ths of an ET, especially if you are never takintg your car to track anyway in which 90% wont be.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #40
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
agree!!

In fact I was just at a car show this weekend in my other Camaro - a T56 equipped 71 with a 520hp 406, and this stunning 67 Roadrunner rumbled in. I had to go take a look - the car had a 800hp 528 hemi and 4 speed, and the owner was a super cool and nice guy that was in his 70's who also owned manual trans vipers, Saleen Mustang, 2010 Camaro SS and had 17 previous Corvettes - all manual.

My new hero - that's what I aspire to be doing in 20 years. He graduated from college before I was born and I am in my 50's...

No such thing as a 67 RR.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #41
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
I’ve been a manual guy my entire driving life and have always loved rowing the gears and the control you get with it. That was until I drove and ultimately purchased my A10 SS. I am completely sold on the modern autos and for me, they are actually more fun than a manual. Not to mention faster and more precise. Just my opinion.

So now instead of rowing...you paddle...like a duck.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #42
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
I say they will because I believe in optimism and I highly doubt Corvette will snub their true die hard enthusiasts performance buyers.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...l-transmission
Good Lord! Never going to happen.

The chassis is NOT designed for a manual.

Embrace the future gentleman.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote