#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #29
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Looking to get into a 6th gen. This is going to be a regular summer driver. There may be a rare possibility of a track day or auto x. I plan on running it in some 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 mile drags and roll races monthly.

So the question is what would you choose? 18 ZL1 1LE, 19 ZL1 10 speed or 19 ZL1 6 speed.

Please feel free to expand on your opinions.
For the main uses that you have listed for the car, I think that the 19 ZL1 10 speed would do the best out of your 3 choices. It's going to be the quickest, and it's still quite competent for your possible track day as well. The 6 speed ZL1s unfortunately are known to have a particular bog issue that would be very frustrating when trying to launch at your monthly drag races. Not sure if this programming is in the 1LE as well, but it's definitely in the regular ZL1, I have talked to multiple drivers at the dragstrip and it hamstrings their cars, very frustrating. The A10 has some excessive torque management too, but that's not as drastic as the M6 issue, and also easier to fix.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:48 PM   #30
ZL1Fan24

Drives: 2018 ZL1
6 Speed is way more fun to drive on the road. The A10 is great for track use, but around town, go with the pure driving experience. Just my two cents...
***2018 ZL1, CALLAWAY SC750, NFG, 6 Speed, Carbon Fiber Hood Insert, PDR, Carbon Fiber Dash, Tony Mamo V2 TB, Borla S-Type Cat Back Exhaust (Carbon Tips), Hurst Short Shifter, Eibach Performance Springs, IROC Blade Spoiler, GM Dark Lens Kit/Reflectors, Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers, Wildhammer Carbon Steering Wheel, CF Shift Knob, Titanium Lug Nuts***
ZL1Fan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #31
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
I own a 18 zl1 1le, but have only put 600 miles on her so far. The car is a beast & is just a weekend toy for me. I do plan on tracking her some, but she will mostly just be a street car. The ride is a bit stiff, but it’s not that bad in my opinion. I’ve never driven a regular zl1 so I can’t compare it to the suspension on the car. I know the mag ride shocks are going to ride a lot better, but to me I’m willing to give up some of the comfort for the styling & perforamce if the 1le package. To me the 1le package just makes the zl1 so aggressive looking & stands out. I would say go test drive both and make up your own mind on which one suits your needs better.
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #32
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I own a 18 zl1 1le, but have only put 600 miles on her so far. The car is a beast & is just a weekend toy for me. I do plan on tracking her some, but she will mostly just be a street car. The ride is a bit stiff, but it’s not that bad in my opinion. I’ve never driven a regular zl1 so I can’t compare it to the suspension on the car. I know the mag ride shocks are going to ride a lot better, but to me I’m willing to give up some of the comfort for the styling & perforamce if the 1le package. To me the 1le package just makes the zl1 so aggressive looking & stands out. I would say go test drive both and make up your own mind on which one suits your needs better.
The problem with that though, is to get that additional performance out of the ZLE you have to get a lot of heat into the tires and that isn't happening very often on the street. Aero is pretty much a non-issue too, unless there are roads near you where you can routinely hit triple digits.

I was so set on the ZLE and really wanted it, but I realized that for my usage (the street) it would be a waste and I wouldn't be able to get the additional performance out of it to justify the compromise in ride quality. The Goodyear F1 3R tires are amazing ,but not so much when not warmed up. The ZL1 and SS 1LE's Goodyear F1 3 tires grip a lot better with less heat in them and last longer as well.

I thought about the ZL1 too, but I like handling and balance a little bit more than having the most HP, so I ended up choosing the SS 1LE, which with the lower weight over the front axle and HP that is a little more useable on the street (without too much traction issues) is kinda the Goldilock of the bunch.

Everyone has their opinion , but to me for a street driven car that you want to have fun with and ring out on the back roads I would go SS 1LE , ZL1, ZL1 1LE.

For a primarily track car, I would reverse all 3 of those selections.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:48 PM   #33
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Looking to get into a 6th gen. This is going to be a regular summer driver. There may be a rare possibility of a track day or auto x. I plan on running it in some 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 mile drags and roll races monthly.

So the question is what would you choose? 18 ZL1 1LE, 19 ZL1 10 speed or 19 ZL1 6 speed.

Please feel free to expand on your opinions.

Given that, 19 ZL1 10 speed.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:46 PM   #34
69pro-touring

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
I haven't driven ZLE so can't speak to harshness, but regular ZL1 with MRC is very comfortable.
If you end up getting a ZLE and decide you don't want the aero, I'll trade you my ZL1 wing for the ZLE wing straight up. I'll even cover shipping.
69pro-touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:01 PM   #35
Cake's Z

Drives: 2018 ZL1
For any type of daily I would say ZL1.... never driven the 1LE
2015 TRD Tundra (traded)
2014 Subaru WRX (traded)
2000 Z28 (sold)
1970 GMC 1500 (stolen)
2017 YXZ1000 (sold)
Cake's Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:18 PM   #36
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
Think months or a few years down the road. Go with the one that grabs your attention the most and pick the transmission that you would be most happy with after the newness wears off. Someone described the ZLE ride as bouncy not harsh and that is the best way to put it. Harsh would be a truck with no weight in the bed and worn out shocks.
900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:02 PM   #37
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I own a ZLE, but if I had to do it all over again I would probably get a Regular ZL1 then add the aero bits to give it that 1LE look. Which really was my original idea and plan, yet here I am. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to test drive the ZL1 and the ZLE back to back, and I can tell you that you're never going to get a true feel of these cars in the time of a test drive, it takes a few hundred miles for sure. Honestly, it really all just comes down to what you can tolerate, the ZLE is stiff, harsh, and just race car. Like others have said the ZLE is made for the track and just plain sucks on the street.

Unless you are going to hardcore track the ZLE there really is no reason to own it. That said, I think dealers are starting to realize that as well, so you may be able to score a better deal on a ZLE over a ZL1. Good luck man, either way, you really can't go wrong.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #38
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If GM were to put the sunroof on the ZLE then I would have traded in for one.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:19 AM   #39
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
The rear view camera mirror is standard on the ZL1 for 2019, but not available on the 1LE until maybe 2020. It would be a deal breaker for me and goes a long way towards fixing the visibility concern I had with my 5th gen.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
If GM were to put the sunroof on the ZLE then I would have traded in for one.
So glad they didn't... sunroofs don't belong on a track focused car for any reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
The rear view camera mirror is standard on the ZL1 for 2019, but not available on the 1LE until maybe 2020. It would be a deal breaker for me and goes a long way towards fixing the visibility concern I had with my 5th gen.
Forgot about that one...

They should be moving the camera to the Onstar fin pretty soon. This also puts the camera closer to the driver so the depth perception is better.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #41
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So glad they didn't... sunroofs don't belong on a track focused car for any reason.

Forgot about that one...

They should be moving the camera to the Onstar fin pretty soon. This also puts the camera closer to the driver so the depth perception is better.
This was a definite decision point for me too but I am hoping I can retrofit the 2020 parts down the road if I want the video/camera mirror.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #42
Mcardenal

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray Metalic ZL1 A10
I went for the ZL1 A10 and love it. Its defeinitley a "have your cake and eat it" thing of beauty. However, if i was in the market today, and being that this is not a daily driver for me. I would 100% go for the ZLE with the A10.

When all is said and done and the history books have been written, the ZLE A10 will go down as a true legend. IMHO
Mcardenal is offline   Reply With Quote