Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #29
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
My very first time driving on track in the rain. This was on the stock GY S3. Yes, it's painfully slow, but I was doing about highway speeds most of the time and the tires seemed to do okay.

RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
Ten4Lou

Drives: 2018 ZL1 NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
I don't know..I drove mine home new the day I picked it up in the pouring rain and I drive home from work just about every other day in the rain it seems. (Jacksonville FL)

Maybe I drive slow but Ive never had a problem.

Need to be careful and pay attention to your speed, road conditions, and driving in general while its raining, Yes.

Unsafe in the rain? No.

Maybe the 1LE is different from the base ZL1 but I don't feel unsafe. Just my opinion.
That’s the reason you don’t have a problem is because you’re driving SLOW in the rain. That’s exactly what the OP was sharing. If you don’t give extra attention or apply EXTRA conservative practices to your driving with these tires during HEAVY rain and puddles, your butt will clench

Wife and I rode from Hot Springs, AK to Magnolia, TX (402 Miles) straight through during Tropical storm Allison on our 2016 Goldwing. Solid rain for the entire 7 hour ride. Had to do it because I had to get home to leave the country the following day. That vehicle with those tires sliced right through the rain and puddles, sometimes steady 80 mph and never flinched once. Those MC tires are designed for that. These Goodyears on the ZL1 are not! Manufacturer is even kind enough to warn is about that. Especially when it gets cooler temps in a few months.

The 2014 SS I had before this ZL1 would also hydroplane if I wasn’t careful to slow my speeds below the speed limit during heavy downpours. I can imagine it’s got to be a little worse in the ZL1. I’m going to place great value on the OP’s info share... these tires can be dangerous in heavy rain if you don’t take precautions. MORE conservative precautions than you would have to with most other tires. When I drive my wife’s 2017 Maxima or my 2014 GMC Canyon in heavy rain, there’s hardly any difference in traction and performance at normal speed limits and those tires slice right through water puddles with ease. No hydroplaning whatsoever. OP’s point is that GY’s that come on the ZL1 require additional lowering of speed and caution. If you hit water puddles at posted speeds with this car on these tires.... butt clench and possible skidding into an accident. Don’t understand why anyone would argue that

Thanks again OP for valuable info
Ten4Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:23 AM   #31
dwill8335

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Ice Metallic A10
Love the s3 but no good in rain awesome on the track moved to PS4's great tire for the daily drive full confidence in the rain I have had little hydro on the interstate and have 10,000 miles on them never got that out of the good years, that said goodyears way better on the track, need second set of tires for the track but alas the money tree died so rather daily drive safely on ps4's then hold the car for track use only. just give up some time.
dwill8335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #32
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Rain is fine for the stock tires. Puddles are not.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote