Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #29
ems-pilot

Drives: 2016 Silverado
Break it in! Follow the book and here's why...

Everything in these cars now is saved to the computer and is downloadable.

If you don't follow the recommended break in procedure as stated in the owners manual, you may void your warranty. I'm not saying it will but it could come back to bite you in the ass.

The first thing they do when you take it into the dealer...for ANYTHING (oil change, tire rotation, paint issues, etc...gets downloaded and sent to QC and R&D.

I can wait to Punch it through the floor board..I have 200 more miles to go. Have I gone over 80? No.
Have I gone past 4000rpm...Once to 4500 due to tire spin. The occasional overage is acceptable but continuously...Probably not. It can be seen trust me.

Just my 2 cents...
ems-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #30
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I have occationally took it to 5k and a a few full throttle short bursts I changed the oil at 77 miles then im changing it at 500 then to full synthetic at 1500.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #31
kcpoloman

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Im doing it by the book. Only 150 miles in though.
kcpoloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #32
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
Im doing it by the book. Only 150 miles in though.
I wish you much luck man. I tried that as well but it's so easy to want to floor it in this car. I have less than 300 miles to go but I've shot above 4k a few times myself. Leaving it in higher gear is the only way for me.
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #33
kcpoloman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danew_377 View Post
I wish you much luck man. I tried that as well but it's so easy to want to floor it in this car. I have less than 300 miles to go but I've shot above 4k a few times myself. Leaving it in higher gear is the only way for me.
I had to do a 1000 mile on my last car so it can be done. I cant say I wont redline it a handful of times through the break in though. But otherwise Im just cruising.
kcpoloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #34
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Ive made it to 1400 miles. I have pushed it to 100 mph a few times. If keeping the rpm's below 4000 and not going full throttle what is the problem with the speed? That's one I don't really understand.

Think I've had enough break in. I've treated her quite gently and I had the first oil change at 600 miles. Think I'm heading out right now for a few full throttle pulls on freeway onramps

Edit: Just got back. Break in might be boring but, the wait was worth it. Yes, I only have the measly v6. But, by god this V6 is nice! While it may not plant you in your seat the torque and power application is linear (something I missed dearly in the GTI) and the power just builds and builds as you approach redline (again the gti ..... It just kind of sputters out past 5500 rpm's + the gears were short). The exhaust comes to life at full throttle passing 5000 rpm's! "Screams" is an apt description.

I know "why didn't you get the v8?" Is the never ending question. I had 2x 4th gen z28's and I don't feel like I made a mistake with the V6! That says a lot IMHO.

Last edited by GTIanZ28; 02-01-2016 at 11:15 PM.
GTIanZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #35
chrismarvin

Is it really bad if i'm at like 2500 and still haven't had the oil changed? the dealer told me at 5000 bring it in, I was going to take it in at 3000.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #36
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismarvin View Post
Is it really bad if i'm at like 2500 and still haven't had the oil changed? the dealer told me at 5000 bring it in, I was going to take it in at 3000.
thats a million dollar question.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #37
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I did a 300 drive back home, I've driving it like I stole it since. I got a 100K warranty on the powertrain, like I care???

I'll change oil at 4000 ish miles, usually the initial oil has more ploymers to protect the engine. I only run green top mobil one or gold top Castrol. Oil with euro spec compliance cause we all know synthetic is not synthetic in the US right? Thanks to Castol control of ASE. May try the Mobile One racing... but I'm lazy and I know Autozone has green top mobil one and gold top Castrol.

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.html
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #38
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Ive made it to 1400 miles. I have pushed it to 100 mph a few times. If keeping the rpm's below 4000 and not going full throttle what is the problem with the speed? That's one I don't really understand.

Think I've had enough break in. I've treated her quite gently and I had the first oil change at 600 miles. Think I'm heading out right now for a few full throttle pulls on freeway onramps

Edit: Just got back. Break in might be boring but, the wait was worth it. Yes, I only have the measly v6. But, by god this V6 is nice! While it may not plant you in your seat the torque and power application is linear (something I missed dearly in the GTI) and the power just builds and builds as you approach redline (again the gti ..... It just kind of sputters out past 5500 rpm's + the gears were short). The exhaust comes to life at full throttle passing 5000 rpm's! "Screams" is an apt description.

I know "why didn't you get the v8?" Is the never ending question. I had 2x 4th gen z28's and I don't feel like I made a mistake with the V6! That says a lot IMHO.
I hate when people say "why didn't you get the v8?". Usually it's from people who haven't experienced modern V6 engines like the LFX or LGX. DOHC really seem to wake up in the higher rpms, like around 5K. I had a 2014 V6 and thought it had some power if only the car weighed less. Now you have more HP and a lot less weight. How's the M6 Tremec TR-3160? Better than the Aisin AY6 from 5th gen V6 I bet. The only other complaint about my 2014 V6 was the inconsistent shifting, I put in a Hurst and it helped. I'd still like to test drive a 6th gen V6 M6 just to feel the power to weight.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #39
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I was on the Challenger board since early 2009 and the constant forum tolls their were why did you get the V6 (mine was supercharged). The oldlady did not like it when the hemi guys came around and ask that same question a thousand times. The oldlady actually got me the SS so I'd stop tooling around and getting hassled by the hemi guys.

Needless to say come Friday when I'm at the 1/8 mile there will be no hemi guys talking smack to me. Just waiting on my set of slicks...
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:41 AM   #40
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
I hate when people say "why didn't you get the v8?". Usually it's from people who haven't experienced modern V6 engines like the LFX or LGX. DOHC really seem to wake up in the higher rpms, like around 5K. I had a 2014 V6 and thought it had some power if only the car weighed less. Now you have more HP and a lot less weight. How's the M6 Tremec TR-3160? Better than the Aisin AY6 from 5th gen V6 I bet. The only other complaint about my 2014 V6 was the inconsistent shifting, I put in a Hurst and it helped. I'd still like to test drive a 6th gen V6 M6 just to feel the power to weight.
At this point I still say it's slightly notchy and firm. I loved the m6 trans in the old 4th gens. The shifts with the v6 are obvious and I had no issues at all when shifting in anger.

But, on multiple occasions in regular driving I have embarrassingly ground 1st gear. On each occasion I thought I had fully engaged 1st but, it wasn't quite in gear.

I have hope to see further improvement in the shifter feel. It's definitely better than when I first got the car.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #41
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFella View Post
With cars these days, and their technology and advances, I don't see there being an ACTUAL advantage or NEED to "Break in" the car.

A lot of friends who broke in their cars and went soft on the engine didn't produce as much torque/HP as my friends who drove it like crazy.

I know for me, I've been pretty heavy on the pedal! What about you guys?
If you're racing you're car and extra torque/HP is important, and I have yet to see any real proof that this claim is true, then go ahead and tear into it. People who race are usually also doing tons of maintaining and modding on their engines anyway so a easy break in is not needed. If you're planning on keeping you're car for long term and care even a little about it's longevity you would be smart to remember you are breaking in a CAR not a crate engine and there are a lot of other parts and systems are being broke in as well.

But as always you're the one paying the payments so enjoy it and drive it the way that you feel is best!!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #42
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
A standard reminder that you're not just breaking in the engine, you're breaking in the entire vehicle, which includes the transmission and rear end. Look up the break in guides for aftermarket transmissions and rear ends, they will NOT say "install in vehicle, drive hard."
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote