Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i always thought not having a sports car was a crisis.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #30
hypercarfanatic

Drives: 2013 F-150
I am 17, and whenever my I bring up the topic of getting a Camaro, the phrase "Oh, you don't want that, its an old mans car" always seems to slip in there. Seems like bullshit to me
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
BlueRay2ss

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 2013 2LS 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
i always thought not having a sports car was a crisis.
That's exactly how I think of it!!!
BlueRay2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #32
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I've been building cars and bikes my whole life so now at 59yrs nothing has changed so I would have to say there was and isn't a midlife crisis here.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #33
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
just turned 53...let me see, put my kid thru college, paid for it all myself. bought her the lexus she wanted, bought my wife the Cadillac SUV she wanted. I am still driving my 2000 F250 (perfect shape by the way) with over 200K miles. so dad deserves a mid life whatever I want, not a corvette guy so I got my dream car for sure.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #34
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
The trick for me was to just buy it. She wasn't happy but oh well, I told her she doesn't pay the bill on my prior or current vehicle so she has no say. Ended that discussion right quick. [we're not married, only exercise our 'domestic partnership' when it's convenient for us, and still keep separate checking accounts despite being together for almost 10 years]
I think that sounds okay...you act somewhat independently with your money decisions. That's the way I would do it too...keep finances separate.

I hear a lot about the sacrifices and total kindness that some guys give to their families, and that is very cool too...just as long as its not always a one way / constant drain, and that they get what they want for a car eventually.

I can't even tell you, but if you want to see a man become profusely impassioned....then talk to him about cars (second to women, of course...). Terrible to deny him of that passion.
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #35
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
Absolutely true story. When we went to sign the papers on the 2014 Camaro, my wife was all hyped up and ready to sign while I was definitely hitting the panic button and saying "Whoa! Let's back up a bit here". The finance guy said that he'd been working finance for car lots for over 10 years and had "sold" his fair share of Camaros and Corvettes. He said usually when he was working with a couple, it was the husband who couldn't wait to sign the papers and the wife that was not certain/hesitant. He said that was the first time he'd ever had a couple where the wife was all for it and the husband wasn't sure he wanted to do it.

To be honest, in the space of 14 months we went from no car payments to two fairly hefty ones all the while having one of our boys turn 16 so insurance kicked way the heck up as well.
LOL...I bet you were working out the money part in your mind while your wife was saying "let's go". Regardless, she's a good one. But maybe she doesn't have to pay either ;-)

Yah, my own insurance doubled when I got the ZL1, I pay the same for SUV as I do the sportscar. I imagine a 16 yr old is in a high risk bracket, so that would add a significant increase to insurance... which happens to be one of the biggest scams on earth....oh well.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #36
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyluftlonqp View Post
The night could not be dark enough if you know what I mean.
Need to know: What kind of BMW do you drive??

I am trying hard to remember what movie it was, when she said (or he said?): "Turn the lights out. Darker."
Old 09-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #37
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
Regardless, she's a good one.
That she is. We've been married 24 years last month. I think I'll keep her another 24 years or so.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #38
kinematic11
patiently waiting my turn

Drives: 2013 SS RS 1LE
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
Absolutely true story. When we went to sign the papers on the 2014 Camaro, my wife was all hyped up and ready to sign while I was definitely hitting the panic button and saying "Whoa! Let's back up a bit here". The finance guy said that he'd been working finance for car lots for over 10 years and had "sold" his fair share of Camaros and Corvettes. He said usually when he was working with a couple, it was the husband who couldn't wait to sign the papers and the wife that was not certain/hesitant. He said that was the first time he'd ever had a couple where the wife was all for it and the husband wasn't sure he wanted to do it.
To be honest, in the space of 14 months we went from no car payments to two fairly hefty ones all the while having one of our boys turn 16 so insurance kicked way the heck up as well.

Trodecke,

I am a few years behind you as my oldest boy is 10. But my wife is similar to yours as she is more ok with the purchase and I am hesitant, as I too will go from no car payment to having one with the purchase of a 1LE.

? for you, why the gap in your camaro ownership? from 87 to 12?

Dave
1984 trans am
kinematic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #39
kinematic11
patiently waiting my turn

Drives: 2013 SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
I can't even tell you, but if you want to see a man become profusely impassioned....then talk to him about cars (second to women, of course...). Terrible to deny him of that passion.
Aurora,

This statement is very profound for me. I have been trying so hard to justify this purchase. This statement helps me to decide yes. I need/want a little for me. heck, my kids even like the car.

Thanks,

Dave

1984 trans am
kinematic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #40
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinematic11 View Post
? for you, why the gap in your camaro ownership? from 87 to 12?

Dave
Pretty simple really. I drove the '87 until I got out of the Air Force in '91. Before then, my wife didn't drive and didn't really need to. After getting out of the AF, she really needed to be able to drive and at 5'2" she was having a really hard time reaching the pedals. Also, she just wasn't getting the hang of driving a manual so we traded it in for a more family friendly Hyundai.

I actually bought the 2012 earlier this year and wound up trading it in for the 2014. Those are two more wonderful stories that I'll save for another time.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #41
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinematic11 View Post
Aurora,

This statement is very profound for me. I have been trying so hard to justify this purchase. This statement helps me to decide yes. I need/want a little for me. heck, my kids even like the car.

Thanks,

Dave

Aww, that is awesome!

No doubt your family would enjoy it as much as you. Imagine being a kid and your dad has a camaro…how cool is that??

Actually, I am noticing your impressive history with these cars. You might have no choice but to get one, if its in your blood. Hurry before the night sweats start….
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #42
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
nope!

sometimes it takes a man a long time to achieve a dream. I loved the 4th gen camaro when i was a teenager and i bought the 5th gen when i had the cash to do so