Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #29
2SS BUMBLBE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/L99
Something else to consider, the SRT-8 has a $1000.00 gas guzzler tax. I saw that on the Dodge build your vehicle page.
2SS BUMBLBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #30
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
I wouldn't buy either. I'd buy NEW, whichever one you like better after driving them. If you have to finance you can get much better financing on a new car which will make your actual cost very close to buying one of the used cars you mentioned, and it won't have had the crap beaten out of it by the previous owner..

Having said that, my personal preferences are as follows:

Daily Driver - Camaro LT/LS with 6 speed manual. Better power than the V6 Challenger, more than enough power for the road.

Street / track / dragstrip / intimidator car - Camaro ZL 575/585 or upcoming ZL1.

Compromise vehicle - Challenger R/T Classic. Wouldn't drive it in winter but if I couldn't afford the top end Camaro I could easily go for this particular version of the Challenger over the SS.

Again, everything is personal preference, make sure you drive them both. Don't let the first dealer push you.
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #31
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
camaros suck
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #32
Gloisgreat

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS IBM w/ tan interior
Not going to lie: I initially wanted a Challenger. Then I made the mistake of telling everyone and then my butthole brother bought one in May of '10 before I had the means to (I was still in school working on my master's and he had just graduated from his undergrad)! I was devastated, and my mom thought I was being a brat for no longer wanting one ("You can get one too! His is just the base model-- you can afford the better one!" Pssshh!).

So...the Camaro was my second favorite, but in the past year, it has quickly become my first choice. While the Challenger is a beautiful car, I can't WAIT to get my Camaro.
Gloisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #33
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
To answer your question - I'll ask a question.

(and I'm prejudiced...)

Why is Camaro outselling Challenger by such a large margin?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #34
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
The 09 R/T's are pretty stout mid-low 13 second cars stock with an auto, and mid-high 13's with a stick.

Generally great cars.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #35
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
I have owned all 3 of the current pony cars.

2010 Camaro SS
2010 Challenger R/T
2011 Mustang GT

For me, the Mustang met my needs the best. I like to head down the quarter mile. It was going to cost me 5x as much on the Camaro as the Mustang to be able to reliably go out an run 11's in any weather. I will be knocking some 10's down late this year, early next year which far exceeded my expectations on what the Mustang was capable of.

The Challenger was a huge surprise. Out of the 3, it has impressed me the most. It is bigger than the others but don't let that deter from it's performance and everyday driveability. Very good car and shouldn't be overlooked IMO.

The Camaro is a good car as well. If you are more into show than go it is probably the car for you. It takes tearing into the motor or putting on a power adder to to do what I am/was able to do with the Mustang. It also has the least amount of trunk space and headroom. If you are tall, probably not a good choice especially with the sunroof.

As others have said, go give each one of them a try and decide what you like the best and will meet your goals.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #36
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Just got the Challenger home from the dealer.... I think we made a great decision to have a Camaro and a Challenger.

Challenger drives heavier then the Camaro but in a good way... seems slightly slower also... but very comfortable ride and large interior. (and HUGE trunk if that matters).

I think everyone should own one of each!

We also have a mustang but please... who doesn't??? right? (the mustang parks on the street.... challenger and camaro get the garage.

I'll post pics of the Challenger and the Camaro together once we get the Camaro out of the shop (elective "surgery"... not a problem with the car)
Attached Images

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #37
iScottyyyyyyyyy

Drives: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Well first, if you ask this question in a Camaro forum, your going to get a Camaro answer.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #38
arussh

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs, 1990 iroc-z
My brother has an 09 Challenger Hemi RT 6 speed, which he bought new in 09. We have road tripped in it alot (south and its a great driving car that does everything well but nothing exceptionally well.
3 weeks ago I bought my 2011 2ss/rs 6a. In my opinion the camaro looks
the best of both and is a great driving car (I have only 2000 miles).
Again in my opinion the ss will outbrake outrun and outcorner the Challenger handily. The price for outrun is more 94 octane, outcorner comes with a harsher ride and outbrake is the price differential for the cars themselves.

So it is up to you to decide which you would prefer.
Just my 2 cents.

I like the Challenger alot but I love the SS Camaro.
This is my 5th f-body
arussh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #39
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussh View Post
My brother has an 09 Challenger Hemi RT 6 speed, which he bought new in 09. We have road tripped in it alot (south and its a great driving car that does everything well but nothing exceptionally well.
3 weeks ago I bought my 2011 2ss/rs 6a. In my opinion the camaro looks
the best of both and is a great driving car (I have only 2000 miles).
Again in my opinion the ss will outbrake outrun and outcorner the Challenger handily. The price for outrun is more 94 octane, outcorner comes with a harsher ride and outbrake is the price differential for the cars themselves.

So it is up to you to decide which you would prefer.
Just my 2 cents.

I like the Challenger alot but I love the SS Camaro.
This is my 5th f-body
The 5th gen Camaro isnt a F body. GM killed the F body dead in 2002 and it will never return.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #40
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
I am hoping for intelligent posts from people that own this vehicle, and have had experience with it, good and bad. I don't expect for you to just follow the pack like a sheep because you bought a specific car. You can't get any better info about a car then the people themselves that have driven them.
great response Dr. I can fully understand your posting the question you did, that how you get info. I never drove the challenger before buying my camaro but I think the challenger is a GREAT looking car and would not mind owning one. On the other hand, I have had my camaro for about a year and a half and absolutely love it. Great car.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #41
JKBUMBLEBEE
TEAM LLT ! NY5thGEN

Drives: 2011 3.6L V6 328HP Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
Hey guys,

Somewhat bias posting here, I am also however posting in a Challenger forum as well. I am stuck between what car to get between the two of them. I am looking at a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, or the 2010 Camaro SS1. I have been to a few different Camaro forums but settled on this one as most of the stuff I have read here has been spot on.

I have however read about A LOT of problems with the Camaro. Tranny issues, engine issues, frame issues and so fourth. On the Dodge side of things, a lot of this seems very mundane. Can anyone here touch base on the technical side of things for the Camaro, and how reliable is this machine looking for the future ?.
since its a r/t i say CAMARO .. i would only buy a challenger if its a srt8 .. thats my opinion
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #42
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
i was choosing between these 2 cars as well but the v6 versions and i ended up going with the camaro. i have had no probs yet. its prob cuz the camaro is more popular so more people have issues maybe idk. they are both cool cars though. whichever one u get its gunna be awesome!!!