Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #29
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Hey guys.....sorry I've not chimed in sooner on the AWE decisions/discussions...been slammed at work and traveling to Road Atlanta for my first 2019 track event

Thanks to Can'tHave2MuchHP for posting up the prior videos I had of the Track System with no resonators and secondary cat deletes (PLP's). As stated, really loud and not for the faint of heart.

During the Weapon-X build I had Ben's team install Kooks LT's so I replaced the mid-pipes with the resonated version to see if that might offset the headers and tame it down a bit from what would in effect be headers and straight pipes. Not so much....

After a track weekend I can tell you it is really loud and absolutely screams at wot. My wife got a couple of videos from the infield as I was coming down the back stretch and I'll try to get those posted soon.

I would only recommend this set up if your car is going to be nearly 100% tracktime.....my guess is touring would be best for primarily street cars.

One thing I really like about the AWE system is the interchangeable components, in addition to the build quality which is awesome. The chart mlee posted gives you all you need to pick your sound level....great system!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #30
2010REDSS

Huge props to my wife for talking the videos....5 or 6 consecutive laps linked together, this is the back-straight at Road Atlanta.

Unfortunately, the phone camera/microphone doesn't really capture the true sound. but I think you get the idea!

https://youtu.be/wdr0ODvaKHU

Fun laps....great track....awesome car!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"

Old 03-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #31
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I love how you kinda started like mid pack. The last clip your passing what looked like a shelby😂😂😂👍
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #32
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #33
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Very Nice Todd!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:11 AM   #34
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
That was pretty freakin awesome.

Some great passes in traffic and moved up on everyone.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #35
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I love how you kinda started like mid pack. The last clip your passing what looked like a shelby😂😂😂👍
How awesome is it when your wife knows to zoom in as you pass a Shelby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
Thanks for embedding the link RSFR....gotta figure out how to do that sometime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Very Nice Todd!
Thanks!! Post some video after you get your AWE installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That was pretty freakin awesome.

Some great passes in traffic and moved up on everyone.
Thanks Mike! Chin runs some great events and they allow passing anywhere on the track (with a Pointbye of course). Had some fun passes in 10a, down the hill in 12, even the esses. Good group of people and cars at their events, very solid drivers. Lots of traffic last weekend which makes for slower lap times but actually way more fun!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"

Old 03-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #36
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quality of exhaust is amazing. I have PLP's with touring catback. No resonators. It is LOUD. I can't even imagine what the track would have been like. Current setup sounds amazing. If I do longtubes I will definitely be adding the resonators. My only gripe with the system is that the driver side PLP/cat connection is ghetto. Apparently it is an odd size pipe that no one makes an appropriate clamp for. It took some massaging and a healthy amount of muffler paste to eliminate the leak at that connection. Even the smallest leak there was causing it to throw a cat code.

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #37
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Check out their sound level chart which explains your question pretty well. Resonators will step it down one notch on sound level. I don't have resonators and also have no drone but if I did I could add the resonator later.

Attachment 980531

Thanks for the replies! Interesting that the Axle back is slightly louder than both the cat backs. I was originally thinking of doing just the axle back, since I don't plan on doing headers or other mods to the exhaust beyond just the mufflers. But now I'm a little worried it might just be a touch TOO loud and I should go the non-resonated catback instead. Oh well! Either way I'm sure it will be awesome...I'll stew over it for a few more weeks until our tax refund arrives.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Thanks for the replies! Interesting that the Axle back is slightly louder than both the cat backs. I was originally thinking of doing just the axle back, since I don't plan on doing headers or other mods to the exhaust beyond just the mufflers. But now I'm a little worried it might just be a touch TOO loud and I should go the non-resonated catback instead. Oh well! Either way I'm sure it will be awesome...I'll stew over it for a few more weeks until our tax refund arrives.
Good observation... I never noticed that one.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #39
Z650HP

Drives: 2019 Black ZL1 M6
Quote:
Just so you know the non resonated cat back is louder then the touring axle back. Its the resonated cat back that is a touch quieter then there touring axle back. Just wanted to clarify that for you. That's per the chart on the previous page.
With that said I plan on doing the touring axle back for now. I don't want to be swapping the hole exhaust out and do not want headers.
I'm just looking for some more volume over stock, just hope its not too loud.
Z650HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #40
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z650HP View Post
Just so you know the non resonated cat back is louder then the touring axle back. Its the resonated cat back that is a touch quieter then there touring axle back. Just wanted to clarify that for you. That's per the chart on the previous page.
With that said I plan on doing the touring axle back for now. I don't want to be swapping the hole exhaust out and do not want headers.
I'm just looking for some more volume over stock, just hope its not too loud.
I’m at the shop right now getting the axle back put on!
Old 05-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #41
Z650HP

Drives: 2019 Black ZL1 M6
Quote:
I’m at the shop right now getting the axle back put on!
Oh sweet man!
Please please post your likes/dislikes of the axle back.
Really interested in getting it, as long as its not stupid loud and has no drone.
Z650HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #42
TheMailMan0

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Huge props to my wife for talking the videos....5 or 6 consecutive laps linked together, this is the back-straight at Road Atlanta.

Unfortunately, the phone camera/microphone doesn't really capture the true sound. but I think you get the idea!

https://youtu.be/wdr0ODvaKHU

Fun laps....great track....awesome car!
Wow! I was just about ready to pull the trigger on this setup. I almost thought it was a joke, as its almost comical how loud that is! Completely clipped your microphones input. Thank you for sharing!