Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
joesaxton
Joe

Drives: 2012 45th Ann. Edition Lt2 Convert
I have a 2012 45th Anniversary Edition I bought at the end of January. I have had the top down many times since then with no wear marks or wrinkles. I just got it back from the dealer who performed the recall notice. I see no issues yet. The windows open and close with no unnecessary noise. There seems to be no wind noise out of the ordinary and no spots have developed from putting the top down a few times. I'll continue to monitor and post if any problems come up.
joesaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #30
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Wrinkles are normal. Holes are not. Plus that was the original top. Not bad for 16 years of total top down time. I hardly ever drove the bird with the top up. From mid May to early October it was always down.
I agree, but the a lot of the recent complaints are all "normal wear" wrinkles.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
mikeec

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Vert IOM/IOM
There is no such thing as normal wear wrinkles when the top has only been put down twice and for a total of 6 hours. Nor should indentations be forming in that amount of time. That is called shabby work.
mikeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #32
dpartch

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertable rs/ss
Any one got this fixed. Yet. Back awhile ago someone posted the dealer fix theirs based on a TSB, the dealer I went to could not find one.
dpartch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #33
dpartch

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertable rs/ss
Name:  CamaroWave.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  118.9 KB
dpartch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #34
dakota74

Drives: 2014 Summit White; 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
i think i've given up.. just going to let it fall apart if that's what's going to happen. Lemon law it and be done with it.

How does the lemon law work, anyway?
dakota74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #35
Griffintile

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS L99 convertible
Wrinkles and wear marks are "normal conditions" over time. I do not feel that any of us should have theses issues as quick as we are experiencing them. Some wind noise, and possibly a slight leak at times is also inherent to convertables, especially as the car gets older. Holes, broken bows, excessive water and wind, is unacceptable, especially while still under warranty. I would hope that as little as I drive, keeping it covered in my garage when not in use, trying to use it only in good weather, and using a protectant like 303 or Raggtopp, would at least keep the top looking good until car was payed off.
Griffintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #36
decepticon-vert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to decepticon-vert
We must baby the top. We would not leave our jeans outside all day then power wash them let them dry in sun over and over and then expect them to not be rough putting them on. Wash accordingly, use protectant and when you have top down use the cover. This will keep wind out and stop the top from rubbing on anything..
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #37
mikeec

Quote:
Originally Posted by decepticon-vert View Post
We must baby the top. We would not leave our jeans outside all day then power wash them let them dry in sun over and over and then expect them to not be rough putting them on. Wash accordingly, use protectant and when you have top down use the cover. This will keep wind out and stop the top from rubbing on anything..
Baby the top - check, wash it and dry it in the sun - never, car is always towel dried, plus the vehicle is garaged and covered. protectants put on top - check.

New top down twice for six hours and has the marks that are in the first four pics. Unacceptable. Not normal.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #38
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
I don't think any top has no fold marks...that is why my last installer told me to never leave the top down. Put it up after driving. Never had much problem after that. Rub marks are a different story. funny how the rest of the world can make good tops, but the glorious GM can't get it right.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #39
SSAINT

Drives: "11 2SS/RS VR vert BG/BG SW stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpartch View Post
I've got that same exact one on my third top. Looks more like the fabric is pulled into that "dent". So far this top is quieter than the other two and no rub marks yet. I'm willing to live with this one unless it gets worse.
SSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #40
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
First model year of the New Beetle: 1998
Model Year they finally made it into a factory convertible: 2003
It took them (5) years to develop and design the convertible top for that car.

GM probably needed to do something similar with the Camaro, though I'm not sure the top mechanism is a "GM" design.

One last thing: The cloth they use for these "new types" of convertibles, is NOT THE SAME kind of canvas you would see on a 2001 mustang, or even a 1967 Camaro. The material used on these older models is different. It feels heavier, or stronger. It has a rough feel to it if you touch it.

The material on the convertible now, looks like suede on the outside. I wonder if they should have used the "old fashioned" type of material instead of what they use now.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #41
mikeec

So we took the vert out last night and dropped the top down for the third time. Mind you this is the first time with the recall and tape. so I checked the drivers side which is the fourth pic on the first post. Those rub marks are worse and one of them is going to be a hole and a new identation is forming along the leading edge by the window. Not wanting to ruin the night with my wife, I refused to look at the passenger side. Uggh. On the bright side, while we were out GM called and asked for me to call to them. More to come.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #42
Micki

Drives: 2012 Vert RS 2LT
My car is 2 months old and it needs a new top as well... then again my car is falling apart piece by piece. Filing BBB complaint to lemon law it. GM IS NO HELP!!
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote