Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #29
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Valve spring. Seems more than a few are going boom. So i gotta wonder if i am ok at 1000 miles or 5000 miles?
You guys have to relax. Just drive the car and enjoy it. Or sell it. Lol either way driving yourself crazy over what “can” happen seems like a chick thing to do. Just kidding about the last part.
Mine was built smack dab in the middle of the TSB time frame. I never think about it. If it happens... that’s what warranty is for.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #30
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Mine build date was mid July. 67xx and I rev the hell out of it. Even had it at the track after break in. Either it's going to happen or it won't.

Stressing over it isn't going to change a thing. GM is covering it all.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #31
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Bad batch of valve springs, plenty of threads about it... LT1 engines built after I think June or July this year...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #32
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
my 2021 camaro ss I bought it nov 13th the 14th turned it in for paint correction and ceramic coating 2 weeks later I get the car back and it looks great. Took it to a local car show and all the kids loved it (dad look at that black car) So now dec 7th my wife drives the car to work for the first time. At 4 am she calls me and says the motor fell apart. Now I have to get up and meet up with her. sure enough the motor sounds like all the insides fell apart. The tow truck driver had to try to start the motor to get it our of park. So I was able to hear it. It was towed to the nearest dealer, now waiting to hear from them. In the mean time a little research tells me that the 6.2 motor is having a problem with lifter springs. If thats the case I'm not sure I want just the springs replaced. What about small pieces of metal that may have gotten into the system? It has 321miles on it.
So you basically drove it off the lot and it failed. They should give you a new engine, if not a whole new car. Talk to GM.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #33
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Bad batch of valve springs, plenty of threads about it... LT1 engines built after I think June or July this year...
Maybe from impure chinese steel if in fact China is supplying steel to the suppliers.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #34
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post

You guys have to relax. Just drive the car and enjoy it. Or sell it. Lol either way driving yourself crazy over what “can” happen seems like a chick thing to do. Just kidding about the last part.
Mine was built smack dab in the middle of the TSB time frame. I never think about it. If it happens... that’s what warranty is for.
I tend to agree with you Vc. My 2017 ZL1 is one of the years for bad oil pumps but I will not worry myself too much wondering when or if it fails. I still have 2 years on the drivetrain warranty and will use it if the pump fails. I do though understand the folks on this forum that bought new 2021 Camaros their concerns about the failing valve springs and if their new Camaro engine was built with them.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:43 AM   #35
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post

As long as i don't mod i am fine. But if i mod then i always gotta wonder. Sure don't want to spend money on Mods and then it goes BOOM.

Car feels stronger all the time as the miles add up. Now at 530 miles. I may never do any real mods anyways other than basic stuff. For where i drive and what little miles i do drive it seems fine stock. This car is worlds better than my new C7 was. I think the A10 really makes the car feel more alive would be my guess.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #36
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I think the highest mileage with one of these failures we have seen is around 700 miles. Seems so far that if you have bad valve springs, they will fail fairly early. If you make it in to the thousands of miles, it appears you should be okay.

Fingers crossed this doesnt get worse. GM does not seem to be replacing engines when this happens either.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #37
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
So you basically drove it off the lot and it failed. They should give you a new engine, if not a whole new car. Talk to GM.
You know, when my oil pump went in my ZL1, they first talked about replacing the motor. I am actually glad they did not. I plan to keep this car for the long haul

So, I am glad I still have my original engine. If you still have yours 20 years later, having a "numbers matching" car goes a long way...

Just sayin...
Old 12-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #38
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
You know, when my oil pump went in my ZL1, they first talked about replacing the motor. I am actually glad they did not. I plan to keep this car for the long haul

So, I am glad I still have my original engine. If you still have yours 20 years later, having a "numbers matching" car goes a long way...

Just sayin...
Is that really a thing any more?
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #39
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
In the classic car community, it is very much a thing.

However, most of us don't keep a car more than 4 years...
Old 12-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #40
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:

In the days of protect-o-plates and date-coded stampings in the block, yes. Numbers matching can affect the value of a classic car by $20k. Guys have made careers out of reading and understanding date code stampings on engine blocks. Ask Kevin Marti.

But Today? Your engine block has a QR code sticker as it’s only point of reference for production date/time/serial number. When that sticker falls off it’s just another LT1 or LT4 built at Tonawanda.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #41
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:

I mean is there still date stamps on the blocks & really a way to tell a 17 ZL1 block from a 19 or even a 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
In the days of protect-o-plates and date-coded stampings in the block, yes. Numbers matching can affect the value of a classic car by $20k.

Today? Your engine block has a QR code sticker as it’s only point of production date/time/serial number. When that sticker falls off it’s just another LT1 or LT4 built at Tonawanda.
That’s what I thought. Once that sticker goes, so does any identification.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #42
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I mean is there still date stamps on the blocks & really a way to tell a 17 ZL1 block from a 19 or even a 21?

That’s what I thought. Once that sticker goes, so does any identification.
I actually called GM to ask if I could order a real stamped steel protect-o-plate for my Camaro knowing they haven’t made them since the 70s...... took me three times to get to someone who even knew what they was. And sadly they wouldn’t make one for me
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote