Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2022, 06:00 AM   #29
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Post updated! Apologies for the mistake. It's seconds not minutes.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:01 AM   #30
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Post updated! Apologies for the mistake. It's seconds not minutes.
Ok.. I assumed it was a typo, but just wanted to make sure.

Last edited by jamala00; 09-23-2022 at 06:56 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:12 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Ok.. I assumed it was a type, but just wanted to make sure.
Speaking of typo's....

Couldn't resist.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #32
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Speaking of typo's....

Couldn't resist.
.. .Oh man... I know better then to post before my 2nd cup of coffee... LOL. Fixed it...

As for the AA Wireless decision... I've decided to add it to my Christmas list. I can never come up with ideas and this is a perfect one. So I won't be getting it now. Will wait till Christmas.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:04 AM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
.. .Oh man... I know better then to post before my 2nd cup of coffee... LOL. Fixed it...

As for the AA Wireless decision... I've decided to add it to my Christmas list. I can never come up with ideas and this is a perfect one. So I won't be getting it now. Will wait till Christmas.
I was just ribbing you in fun, hope you know...

I think your idea of putting it on a wishlist is a great one.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #34
jamala00

Quote:
I was just ribbing you in fun, hope you know...

I think your idea of putting it on a wishlist is a great one.
Oh.. I know... No worries...!

Ya, I'm going to put that on my wish list and a phone holder for my handle bars on my Harely. Both things I want but neither I need right away. Things I always think about, but never actually buy... LOL

I did find one other thing, but my wife will tell me to buy it myself. They just dropped the price. They were asking $69k. I think they are still a bit high. I think I'd probably do it at about $62k. I did check the online places for selling mine as well as my local dealer. Used car prices have for sure come down. All offers now were for less then I paid for mine. Last time I had checked they were all still a couple thousand higher. From what I've found.. high book value on that ZL is about $59k
Old 09-23-2022, 07:41 AM   #35
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
MakCamaro has just duplicated my charging pad fix and my wireless android auto experience It's very convenient overall and makes my car feel more modern.

Connection time is typically less than 20-30 seconds for me. On cold starts, I get the AA icon on the center screen by the time the car makes it to warm idle rpm (under 1000), "warm starts" when the car wasn't fully asleep yet are even quicker. Considering the builtin nav itself takes about 20 seconds to initialize its maps on cold starts, this is completely acceptable, I tinker with this and that anyway before I head out.

I will say that my phone (Samsung S10e) gets very warm on the wireless charging pad, and while it does gain battery charge while using AA, the net charging rate is very slow in that case. Then again, as long as it's positive or zero, nobody cares

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I will say that my phone (Samsung S10e) gets very warm on the wireless charging pad, and while it does gain battery charge while using AA, the net charging rate is very slow in that case. Then again, as long as it's positive or zero, nobody cares
For general battery health, wireless charging is the least desirable method. When you charge via a cable, the phone is able to "bypass" the battery (think "trickle charge") and allow the cable to be the primary power source for the phone. This means no full discharge/charge cycling for the battery once fully charged.

Wireless, however, is a "backfill" charge process whereby the phone is always running on battery and the charging process is backfilling it. I have mostly stayed away from wireless charging in part because of this.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:19 AM   #37
jamala00

I have had wireless chargers as long as I can recall for my phones. (Since it's been available) It's all I use. My last phone Galaxy S9 I had for 3.5 years?? Wireless charged it every single night. When I sold the phone it would still last me a day without having to charge it. I'm no power user by any means, but I've never seen any real degridation to my battery from using a wireless charger. I've had my Galaxy S21 for 2 years now. Same thing, put it on a wireless charger every night. My phone by the end of the day still says normally 60% or higher remaining. If there is an issue using wireless chargers... I certainly haven't experienced it.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #38
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I have had wireless chargers as long as I can recall for my phones. (Since it's been available) It's all I use. My last phone Galaxy S9 I had for 3.5 years?? Wireless charged it every single night. When I sold the phone it would still last me a day without having to charge it. I'm no power user by any means, but I've never seen any real degridation to my battery from using a wireless charger. I've had my Galaxy S21 for 2 years now. Same thing, put it on a wireless charger every night. My phone by the end of the day still says normally 60% or higher remaining. If there is an issue using wireless chargers... I certainly haven't experienced it.
Sounds like you've been fortunate... Never a bad thing.

My phone gets used pretty heavily to where battery health starts to bubble up as a bit of an issue around the end of the first year of ownership. I -try- not to have a ton of stuff running in the background that keeps sapping power on me...Also, I tend to be a large-format phone owner (Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3XL, Pixel 6 Pro, S21 Ultra) and the larger, higher resolution/refresh displays do hit the battery a little more.

My Pixel 3XL made it about 2 years before I started thinking about having the battery replaced. Issues with UBreakIFix as a company stopped me cold and I ended up swapping to the Pixel 6 Pro and just dealing with the battery drain (not as much of an issue since my work-related travels have been just about zero for 2.5 years). The P6P, at 8 months old, is starting to show the first signs of possible battery wear, but there are bugs in the Pixel phones that have caused the 6's to have battery issues right out of the gate. That's actually why I've now dumped it for the S21 Ultra...

I replaced the boss' phone (iPhone X) after about three years of ownership because she uses it pretty heavily during the day and was wirelessly charging it every night - battery wear was definitely present but not awful. Since removing the wireless charger and moving to the iPhone 12, her phone shows no signs of battery drain after over a year of ownership (she DOES have wireless charging now in the car for her 25 minute commute to/from work, but the phone is seldom at full charge while in that harness so the wear effects are zero).
Old 09-23-2022, 09:06 AM   #39
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Sounds like you've been fortunate... Never a bad thing.

My phone gets used pretty heavily to where battery health starts to bubble up as a bit of an issue around the end of the first year of ownership. I -try- not to have a ton of stuff running in the background that keeps sapping power on me...Also, I tend to be a large-format phone owner (Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3XL, Pixel 6 Pro, S21 Ultra) and the larger, higher resolution/refresh displays do hit the battery a little more.

My Pixel 3XL made it about 2 years before I started thinking about having the battery replaced. Issues with UBreakIFix as a company stopped me cold and I ended up swapping to the Pixel 6 Pro and just dealing with the battery drain (not as much of an issue since my work-related travels have been just about zero for 2.5 years). The P6P, at 8 months old, is starting to show the first signs of possible battery wear, but there are bugs in the Pixel phones that have caused the 6's to have battery issues right out of the gate. That's actually why I've now dumped it for the S21 Ultra...

I replaced the boss' phone (iPhone X) after about three years of ownership because she uses it pretty heavily during the day and was wirelessly charging it every night - battery wear was definitely present but not awful. Since removing the wireless charger and moving to the iPhone 12, her phone shows no signs of battery drain after over a year of ownership (she DOES have wireless charging now in the car for her 25 minute commute to/from work, but the phone is seldom at full charge while in that harness so the wear effects are zero).
Never had this battery degradation problem myself either, at least not to a noticeable extent. It may also have to do with charging speed, the Camaro's wireless charger is a "regular" (not "fast") 5W one.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:13 AM   #40
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
MakCamaro has just duplicated my charging pad fix and my wireless android auto experience It's very convenient overall and makes my car feel more modern.

Connection time is typically less than 20-30 seconds for me. On cold starts, I get the AA icon on the center screen by the time the car makes it to warm idle rpm (under 1000), "warm starts" when the car wasn't fully asleep yet are even quicker. Considering the builtin nav itself takes about 20 seconds to initialize its maps on cold starts, this is completely acceptable, I tinker with this and that anyway before I head out.

Arpad, I followed your example posted on another thead and thanks to you I now found a place to keep my phone while driving - and keep it charged! That's an easy fix, thanks man!

My phone (Galaxy S22) also gets warm on the wireless charging unit on long trips. I guess it has to do with charging the phone while streaming music, using Waze, staying connected on the network and using mobile data at the same time. So, when on long trips, I just remove it from the wiress charger when it feels very cold to the touch: on a 450 miles trip (6-7 hours long) I removed it a couple of times.

I would like to have someone's input on whether keeping the phone on the wireless charger while it feels warm would hurt the battery or the phone itself.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:39 AM   #41
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Arpad, I followed your example posted on another thead and thanks to you I now found a place to keep my phone while driving - and keep it charged! That's an easy fix, thanks man!

My phone (Galaxy S22) also gets warm on the wireless charging unit on long trips. I guess it has to do with charging the phone while streaming music, using Waze, staying connected on the network and using mobile data at the same time. So, when on long trips, I just remove it from the wiress charger when it feels very cold to the touch: on a 450 miles trip (6-7 hours long) I removed it a couple of times.

I would like to have someone's input on whether keeping the phone on the wireless charger while it feels warm would hurt the battery or the phone itself.
Your battery will get warm during charging and heavier use. On a wireless charger using apps that use location, you'll have both situations occurring. A wired charger could actually cause the phone to run warmer while charging (higher speed), but it -should- run a little cooler once actually charged since only actual power use from the cable should be contributing to creating heat.

Phones are generally not designed to be in cases as they slow heat dissipation. And heat contributes to degradation of battery health. The reality is that I have never seen any scientifically conducted set of tests to determine the ACTUAL impact on battery health from things like the situations you're describing.

In short, there is impact but no one genuinely knows exactly how much (and it's likely small but can add up over time).