Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #29
boostednut

Drives: Nothing cool atm
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I'm running 50/50 mix of M1 Meth and Water. We were on the dyno for a bunch of pulls in the last few weeks. We even ran the car without meth and made way more torque to 4000 rpm, turn the Meth back on and lost 60 rwt at 4000 rpm. I tried a bunch of different pulls with different adjustment. Mine comes on with when it sees boost, the problem is with PD its under boost when you hit the throttle so it start spraying. Mine made 699 with setting at 4 lbs of boost and less meth up top. I wish mine could be set at rpm instead off boost level.
Meth just flows off a pump. Find some other device to trigger the meth relay. It's pretty simple. You could probably wire up a nitrous window controller to do just that.
boostednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #30
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
My real question here is, what are we doing about the stock TTY rod bolts? Are guys replacing them with stockers? ARP doesn't make any yet that I know of. I can only assume that guys are just re-torqueing them.
I think it was super chevy magazine that did a drop in piston LT1 and they change the bolts to ARP.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #31
ZNix

Drives: 1987 Buick Grand National
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I'm running 50/50 mix of M1 Meth and Water. We were on the dyno for a bunch of pulls in the last few weeks. We even ran the car without meth and made way more torque to 4000 rpm, turn the Meth back on and lost 60 rwt at 4000 rpm. I tried a bunch of different pulls with different adjustment. Mine comes on with when it sees boost, the problem is with PD its under boost when you hit the throttle so it start spraying. Mine made 699 with setting at 4 lbs of boost and less meth up top. I wish mine could be set at rpm instead off boost level.
What kit? With certain kits you can set the activation PSI for the pump. Set that about 4k rpm boost levels. However, I am curious to see why you see such a loss at activation. Is the system progressive? Are you flooding the motor out? Too little timing?

Quote:
I understand the theory and agree that meth will make more power. I am honestly struggling with the fail safes in the stock ECM. You can use IAT temps but at a certain point that will fail in my area due to ambient differences. There is no way that I can see using AFR since this ECM doesn't recognize AFR. So someone educated me on what else can be done. I may simply be to busy to think through it. Even with a fail safe that pulls timing you will still be extremely lean under WOT if the meth fails. I understand it will only be till you figure it out but I have seen a lot of people push through a lot of warning signs in the heat of things. So, till I have a better grasp on that portion of things I won't be relying on a secondary fuel source that can fail with a customers motor. Especially a stock motor.
Bleed off boost with AFR. AEM makes a failsafe gauge. I've never used it, so it could be crap. But its an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostednut View Post
Meth just flows off a pump. Find some other device to trigger the meth relay. It's pretty simple. You could probably wire up a nitrous window controller to do just that.
This would work.
ZNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #32
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I think it was super chevy magazine that did a drop in piston LT1 and they change the bolts to ARP.
I had TSP look for a set for me and they said they weren't out yet. That they couldn't find any.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #33
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Pray, I saw vengeance on this forum has drop in pistons also, I assumed that was with rods and bolts. May be worth checking.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #34
boostednut

Quote:
I understand the theory and agree that meth will make more power. I am honestly struggling with the fail safes in the stock ECM. You can use IAT temps but at a certain point that will fail in my area due to ambient differences. There is no way that I can see using AFR since this ECM doesn't recognize AFR. So someone educated me on what else can be done. I may simply be to busy to think through it. Even with a fail safe that pulls timing you will still be extremely lean under WOT if the meth fails. I understand it will only be till you figure it out but I have seen a lot of people push through a lot of warning signs in the heat of things. So, till I have a better grasp on that portion of things I won't be relying on a secondary fuel source that can fail with a customers motor. Especially a stock motor.
What you want is an AEM Fail safe gauge or something of the like. It has programable failure states and data logging, which include high flow but no pressure (line popping off), low flow high pressure (something clogging the line) and everything in between. This can be used to send out a voltage signal to other devices to cut boost on a turbo car.

For a blower car I think the best bet is to figure out a way to cut ignition. I've seen on a forum somewhere, someone claimed they had a fail safe that cut ignition. I'm not sure what could do this really. But where there's a will there's a way.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #35
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostednut View Post
What you want is an AEM Fail safe gauge or something of the like. It has programable failure states and data logging, which include high flow but no pressure (line popping off), low flow high pressure (something clogging the line) and everything in between. This can be used to send out a voltage signal to other devices to cut boost on a turbo car.

For a blower car I think the best bet is to figure out a way to cut ignition. I've seen on a forum somewhere, someone claimed they had a fail safe that cut ignition. I'm not sure what could do this really. But where there's a will there's a way.
That was kind of my point. I read people say "your tuner will build in fail safes into your tune" I just don't see how with the current ECM technology with a blower. Unless you are running a waste gate there is no way to cut boost. Even if you cut timing, the car is still lean and still making boost. You can't set up some sort of over fueling strategy if you don't have the fuel available. I guess if you had a capable fuel system and purposefully leaned the car out to rely on meth then you could do it. But most guys run meth cuz they don't want to sped the ridiculous amount of money on the correct fuel systems for these cars. Like I said, I may just not know what I am doing. So for now, I will shoot for 12.5 at the leanest on pump and put in the meth for 12.0 and get out of it what I can. If it fails then 12.5 is plenty safe for a pull.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:28 AM   #36
boostednut

Quote:
That was kind of my point. I read people say "your tuner will build in fail safes into your tune" I just don't see how with the current ECM technology with a blower. Unless you are running a waste gate there is no way to cut boost. Even if you cut timing, the car is still lean and still making boost. You can't set up some sort of over fueling strategy if you don't have the fuel available. I guess if you had a capable fuel system and purposefully leaned the car out to rely on meth then you could do it. But most guys run meth cuz they don't want to sped the ridiculous amount of money on the correct fuel systems for these cars. Like I said, I may just not know what I am doing. So for now, I will shoot for 12.5 at the leanest on pump and put in the meth for 12.0 and get out of it what I can. If it fails then 12.5 is plenty safe for a pull.

You, of all people, can figure out a solution to this.

Let it sit. Just stay open minded to part combinations, and in some time you'll figure out a way to make it happen.

The engine is a pump. We control the air, the fuel, and the spark. We can tell it to shut off whenever we want. Maybe that's the solution. Something in the programming of HPT. I don't know the GUI, but I'm sure there's somewhere under X load, or X maf voltage at X load. I don't know if it's a maf using alpha n, or a map/temperature VE.... But you can trick the sensors pretty easily. Sensors are made pretty simple. It's ultimately just a circuit.

Same with boost pipes. I think someone else in here brought it up: wastegate on the intake line can let you drop the PSI. You could even use a chinese wastegate; the temperature a chinese wastgate has valve issues in terms of actuation are so high and extreme compared to intake temps. Spend $60 on the proto type. Keep all boost at a completely sane level, af/r's safe. See if you can get it to dump on command.

There are solutions here.

The internet should be a place where we should come together to help solve problems. Otherwise what are we really doing on the computer?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #37
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
[QUOTE=boostednut;10116293

For a blower car I think the best bet is to figure out a way to cut ignition. I've seen on a forum somewhere, someone claimed they had a fail safe that cut ignition. I'm not sure what could do this really. But where there's a will there's a way.[/QUOTE]

That would be Parish
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #38
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
That would be Parish

I have an aftermarket stand beside ecm that offers virtually unlimited flexibility. What ever you can dream up it can do. That being said what I am doing as a fail safe could be done without the extra ecm. I have my ecm set up to open a pair of relays that apply power to the factory coils. if I am above xxxkpa and above xxlambda on the wideband it will cut power to the coils. This could be done with a boost switch and a voltage switch hooked to the wideband.

If I ever move my ignition over to the new ecm there are a number of built in failsafes that could be enabled without an external relay. I would also gain a 2 step but loose tq mgt but I was thinking about ways to incorporate that back in.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #39
PRAY

You guys are way to smart for me. LOL. I am going back to my grinding.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #40
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
You guys are way to smart for me. LOL. I am going back to my grinding.
LOL ditto.....I usually ask for help from the tech's here at this level
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #41
ZNix

Drives: 1987 Buick Grand National
A wastegate and boost controller are a definite option. You would have to spin the blower harder and bleed off excess pressure. Personally, if I was doing a procharger myself, I would do it this way. Smaller pulley would get us into boost sooner.

Wastegate should have a spring in it for boost that would be safe under the fueling of the stock system. Apply pressure on top of the gate with the AEM failsafe controller. Once it detects an abnormal AFR, the system should shut the controller down, reverting back to spring pressure on the gate.
ZNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #42
SS Camaro Freak

Drives: 2016 Gen 6 SS 6spd
P1X are making some really nice power. Great blower!
SS Camaro Freak is offline   Reply With Quote