#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 01-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #29
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
That would be a much harder sell on the Camaro due to the speed and forces that regularly occur on track and in Autocross. In other words even though that jolt the car took didn't look that bad the forces that were exerted probably weren't too dissimilar than some car accidents, and Chevy engineers would see this and come to the conclusion that the airbags deployed properly.

So yea it sucks but I think the airbags worked properly, unlike those on the ZR2s that were mentioned above.
Note: not replying directly to you, Zach just the GM way of thinking. If I could wheel as well as you do, this wouldn’t have happened to begin with haha

Let’s go back to the original premise of each car.

ZL1/1LE = advertised for the track

ZR2 = advertised for off-Road

So for the zr2, they can easily isolate situations where the bags shouldn’t go off which are usage periods for what the zr2 is advertised for.

For the Camaro, they can’t do the same because it mimics an impact. But the airbags deployed properly?

Logic train isn’t working in GM’s favor here.

Last edited by F1FTY; 01-23-2019 at 02:41 PM.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #30
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Note: not replying directly to you, Zach just the GM way of thinking. If I could wheel as well as you do, this wouldn’t have happened to begin with haha

So for the zr2, they can easily isolate situations where the bags shouldn’t go off which are usage periods for what the zr2 is advertised for.

For the Camaro, they can’t do the same because it mimics an impact. But the airbags deployed properly?

It's cool I knew you would see my reply haha I'm not bashing either side of the argument, just trying to see it from Chevy's POV I guess.

So I think this is the problem (bolded part)....

Where with the ZR2s the sensors were expecting rollovers even though things were happening at very low speeds and in situations that the ZR2 can handle no problem (I think this could be a factor of the sensors being exactly the same as in a stock regular Colorado which would be much more likely to actually rollover in such situations, but that is pure speculation on my part) with relatively low forces being exerted..... it's all about the forces

In what happened to you and the forum member who also provided a video the forces were MUCH HIGHER! And therefor the sensors were expecting/anticipating an impact. I guess what I'm trying to say is the risk factor is much higher in this situation (as far as tuning the airbags not to deploy when subjected to high forces) on GM/Chevy that they will inadvertently cause airbags not to deploy when they actually should.

I hope all of that rambling makes sense haha
Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #31
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:

Actually, it seems they are being quite logical.

Vertical force with yaw and an impact = air bag deployment. In track mode it should likely be MORE sensitive as the car is likely to hit something a lot faster and with a lot more force than your average incident.

There's literally no reason, given your video, that the airbag shouldn't have blown. You know the car didn't hit a solid object, so it sucks. But the computer doesn't, it's basing it's decision on a group of sensors that all saw values indicating a collision was occurring.

Without question your situation sucks. IMO though, the car behaved correctly.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #32
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Actually, it seems they are being quite logical.

Vertical force with yaw and an impact = air bag deployment. In track mode it should likely be MORE sensitive as the car is likely to hit something a lot faster and with a lot more force than your average incident.

There's literally no reason, given your video, that the airbag shouldn't have blown. You know the car didn't hit a solid object, so it sucks. But the computer doesn't, it's basing it's decision on a group of sensors that all saw values indicating a collision was occurring.

Without question your situation sucks. IMO though, the car behaved correctly.
The problem is that with all those variables, the decision was incorrect. That's the thing. No collision occurred, there was no damage to the vehicle beyond a scuffed tire, and the vehicle didn't roll over or come close to rolling over. The airbag system got the decision wrong. Here is where GM goes, Yup shouldn't have happened since the vehicle didn't have a collision, has no damage to it and didn't roll-over. Fixed under goodwill.

instead...we debate airbag system designs and what triggers need to be met. It's the type of debate where a company refusing to do the right thing can easily make us doubt the simple outcome of what occurred.

Last edited by F1FTY; 01-24-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #33
Dave-ROR

Quote:
The problem is that with all those variables, the decision was incorrect. That's the thing. No collision occurred, there was no damage to the vehicle beyond a scuffed tire, and the vehicle didn't roll over or come close to rolling over. The airbag system got the decision wrong. Here is where GM goes, Yup shouldn't have happened since the vehicle didn't have a collision, has no damage to it and didn't roll-over. Fixed under goodwill.

instead...we debate airbag system designs and what triggers need to be met. It's the type of debate where a company refusing to do the right thing can easily make us doubt the simple outcome of what occurred.
Again, it's making decisions based on sensor inputs. It doesn't wait for a sensor to be crushed to blow the bags. Doing so would be too late.

It got the decision right. The environment and your driving is what gave it the inputs to make that decision. Sorry.

Goodwill repairs are great, but they are never a sure bet. I've both gotten and been refused goodwill repairs. At least by calling it a goodwill repair you seem to be acknowledging that the system worked correctly.. otherwise it wouldn't be a goodwill repair.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #34
F1FTY

Quote:
Again, it's making decisions based on sensor inputs. It doesn't wait for a sensor to be crushed to blow the bags. Doing so would be too late.

It got the decision right. The environment and your driving is what gave it the inputs to make that decision. Sorry.

Goodwill repairs are great, but they are never a sure bet. I've both gotten and been refused goodwill repairs. At least by calling it a goodwill repair you seem to be acknowledging that the system worked correctly.. otherwise it wouldn't be a goodwill repair.
You don’t have to apologize, you aren’t correct and that’s ok. (Not everything has been published for a reason).

I’d be defending my purchase too if it hadn’t happened to me. Cheers
Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #35
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
In the video at around 40 mph you went full throttle, immediately started to slide, briefly input around 30* steering correction, and got off the gas. The car, saw all of this AND a sustained 1.20 g's into it's right rear quadrant for nearly a second (along with yaw sensors that indicated the car was sliding sideways/backwards) followed by an impact that pegged the sensor at what looked like beyond 1.25 g's.

On a street car this is exactly the situation that will trigger a side airbag to deploy to help prevent injuries from happening. There's a reason why people wear HANS devices even in full racecars along with full halo seats...the human head is heavy and moves a LONG ways during what isn't even a terrible crash. Sorry this happened but I chalk this one up to the price you sometimes will pay when you track a car designed for the street.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #36
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
In the video at around 40 mph you went full throttle, immediately started to slide, briefly input around 30* steering correction, and got off the gas. The car, saw all of this AND a sustained 1.20 g's into it's right rear quadrant for nearly a second (along with yaw sensors that indicated the car was sliding sideways/backwards) followed by an impact that pegged the sensor at what looked like beyond 1.25 g's.

On a street car this is exactly the situation that will trigger a side airbag to deploy to help prevent injuries from happening. There's a reason why people wear HANS devices even in full racecars along with full halo seats...the human head is heavy and moves a LONG ways during what isn't even a terrible crash. Sorry this happened but I chalk this one up to the price you sometimes will pay when you track a car designed for the street.
I honestly have to agree with this comment and what someone else said early supports this too. If you would have had a passenger they almost certainly would have smacked their helmet on the passenger side window/door frame after the spin and when the big "Jolt" happened. So think if said passenger didn't have a helmet on? The side curtain would have 100% done it's job and prevented a potential head injury even though the car didn't "impact" anything, I think that is pretty irrefutable evidence that it did deploy properly...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #37
F1FTY

I respect everyone’s opinions on the matter because of the data you have been presented with. It is not everything and there are things left out on purpose. They didn’t deploy properly but this is turning into the Zapruder film with facts missing.

Just be careful out on the track.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #38
Dave-ROR

Quote:
You don’t have to apologize, you aren’t correct and that’s ok. (Not everything has been published for a reason).

I’d be defending my purchase too if it hadn’t happened to me. Cheers
LOL it's not defending my purchase. If this happened to me, with those circumstances, I'd be fine with them going off. It would suck of course, but I'd rather have a functional SRS system than one that doesn't work in case I ever did crash the car.

I'd also do all the work myself except for the few parts I couldn't (resetting the SRS module for example). I haven't looked up prices for this car but I bet it could be done a lot cheaper.

And now you are claiming that evidence is being held back "for a reason". I hope you lose the lawsuit, it's a BS suit.

Too many cars.. never.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #39
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I respect everyone’s opinions on the matter because of the data you have been presented with. It is not everything and there are things left out on purpose. They didn’t deploy properly but this is turning into the Zapruder film with facts missing.

Just be careful out on the track.
lol
Magic pothole theory?
Second driver on the grassy knoll?
The autocross was in the book suppository parking lot?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #40
F1FTY

Quote:
LOL it's not defending my purchase. If this happened to me, with those circumstances, I'd be fine with them going off. It would suck of course, but I'd rather have a functional SRS system than one that doesn't work in case I ever did crash the car.

I'd also do all the work myself except for the few parts I couldn't (resetting the SRS module for example). I haven't looked up prices for this car but I bet it could be done a lot cheaper.

And now you are claiming that evidence is being held back "for a reason". I hope you lose the lawsuit, it's a BS suit.
Ok dude
Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #41
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I honestly can't see where the system didn't work as intended. I'm not sure what other information you are not sharing. Unless you pulled the data from the event data recorder and had the correct program to decode the data, you aren't likely to know what the sensor outputs were and what the program triggers are. It sucks that it costs so much to repair this and I understand you feel the deployment was in error, but I believe this situation covered enough triggers to enable the deployment protocol.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #42
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I honestly can't see where the system didn't work as intended. I'm not sure what other information you are not sharing. Unless you pulled the data from the event data recorder and had the correct program to decode the data, you aren't likely to know what the sensor outputs were and what the program triggers are. It sucks that it costs so much to repair this and I understand you feel the deployment was in error, but I believe this situation covered enough triggers to enable the deployment protocol.
Yeah but sadly GM will pay. It'll be cheaper to fix his car then fight it to make him take responsibility for his own bad driving and the bad environment. At the end of the day they care about $ and not proving that they are right.

Too many cars.. never.