Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #29
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
If anything, you can look at the ATS and CTS as more of a comparison since they are also on the Alpha platform. If you can drift those cars without issues, there's a good chance the Camaro will be fine.

ATS:
https://youtu.be/o9anNKvqsy4
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
If anything, you can look at the ATS and CTS as more of a comparison since they are also on the Alpha platform. If you can drift those cars without issues, there's a good chance the Camaro will be fine.

ATS:
I still don't get it...maybe one day i will.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #31
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:

ATS:
Thanks for sharing the video. I've seen the video of Andy drifting ATS but the version you posted seems longer than what i saw some time ago. (Lot more drifting footage in the video you posted) He was doing all that with bone stock automatic car. Awesome!!
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #32
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

To OP:
Honestly, you are the only one i know who is upset that gen6 Camaro MAY NOT be able to drift due to air bag issue, which means majority of market doesn't care, which then means GM isn't too concerned about your complaint.

Yes, i agree the airbag shouldn't go off in the situation shown in that video, but as mentioned by others, it wasn't really drifting - it was an attempt of drifting which ended up being side to side jerking.

You claimed to be a decent driver (read it in some other thread) with drifting practices under your belt. If you are skilled enough to execute actaul "drifting", you should be fine. I'm saying this with certainty because I've seen gen5 drift at track quite a few times.

And you said you don't want 86. Why? It is the legitimate apprentice of Tofu delivery guy's car (Hachi Roku, which means eight six in Japanese) from Initial D, you know.

All jokes aside, camaro isn't built for drifting - it is a muscle car, aiming to be a genuine sportscar, which it seems to be successful. However, if it needs to drift (or power slide, whichever term you would use) from time to time, there won't be any issue.
If you need an all-time drifter, you should gut out unnecessary things/add safety things anyway so the airbag shouldn't be a concern.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #33
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I still don't get it...maybe one day i will.
We need to get sponsorship from tirerack first.....
Old 07-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #34
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
I should have been a fisherman, cause I can really open up a can of worms
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #35
BigRedViking

I'm sure these guys will figure it out.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #36
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
To OP:
Honestly, you are the only one i know who is upset that gen6 Camaro MAY NOT be able to drift due to air bag issue, which means majority of market doesn't care, which then means GM isn't too concerned about your complaint.

Yes, i agree the airbag shouldn't go off in the situation shown in that video, but as mentioned by others, it wasn't really drifting - it was an attempt of drifting which ended up being side to side jerking.

You claimed to be a decent driver (read it in some other thread) with drifting practices under your belt. If you are skilled enough to execute actaul "drifting", you should be fine. I'm saying this with certainty because I've seen gen5 drift at track quite a few times.

And you said you don't want 86. Why? It is the legitimate apprentice of Tofu delivery guy's car (Hachi Roku, which means eight six in Japanese) from Initial D, you know.

All jokes aside, camaro isn't built for drifting - it is a muscle car, aiming to be a genuine sportscar, which it seems to be successful. However, if it needs to drift (or power slide, whichever term you would use) from time to time, there won't be any issue.
If you need an all-time drifter, you should gut out unnecessary things/add safety things anyway so the airbag shouldn't be a concern.

I never said im a good driver or a professional drifter but I like to do it from time to time and don't want my daily driver car's airbags blow out in my face just while playing around.its a sport car and it must be able to handle this kind of driving situations. If a V8 performance car can't drift then it doesn't satisfy me or anyone who want to use all the power in it to enjoy.if I wanted to drive it from college to home or from home to work only,I would get a toyota corolla and do just fine
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #37
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Bro you do realize most Camaro owners don't give a **** and a half about drifting?

It's all about quarter mile times or road course lap times and that's what the car is optimized for. I know car culture in the Middle East is different than in the US but drifting is more of an import thing here. Therefore don't be surprised that an American car like Camaro isn't exactly built with drifting in mind.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #38
SupportGeek

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Bro you do realize most Camaro owners don't give a **** and a half about drifting?

It's all about quarter mile times or road course lap times and that's what the car is optimized for. I know car culture in the Middle East is different than in the US but drifting is more of an import thing here. Therefore don't be surprised that an American car like Camaro isn't exactly built with drifting in mind.
^This man knows what he is talking about^

100% agreement from me sir!
SupportGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #39
BigRedViking

Americans have been getting completely sideways, and burning tires since the invention of the performance/muscle car. "Drifting " is just a title. The Camaro should offer something for everyone, it is a "World Car" after all. Regardless, unwarranted deployment has been an issue in previous models, and can be triggered unintentionally by drifting, or at the track. If you want to track the car, get a cage, a harness, and helmet. Then unplug an impact sensor which should disable srs. Hopefully the vehicle won't require dealer services to reactivate srs.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #40
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:

ATS:

Pretty impressive for a V6.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #41
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
I sport designed to destroy 500.00 tires in an afternoon for no reason in the would eludes me.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #42
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedViking View Post
Then unplug an impact sensor which should disable srs. Hopefully the vehicle won't require dealer services to reactivate srs.
What sensor?where is it?does it require a professional or I can fo it my self?
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote