Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 02-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #29
vcyclenut

Drives: 2011 ctsv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I have had 4 clutches in my car and the 5th is being shipped as I write this. The ZR1 is worse than the stock ZL1. I destroyed it in one day at the drag strip... One day.... and at that time I only had about 800 whp.

I've never run a Moster but I must admit that Steve was up front when I called him and told me that at that time he did not have a clutch that would last in my car. I sure can't bash him for that.

My car has a lot of power and my rear gears are set-up for 200+ mph in 5th gear in the mile. That means my car will go over 60 mph in first gear and I have to drag the clutch a lot to launch. I have had a few 1.4 60 foot times and many 1.5 times. My car is about 4500 pounds with me in it right now.... I'm hard on clutches.

ZR1 Corvette does not work for drag racing. Stock clutch is better.
one of the monster carbon clutches wouldnt work??
vcyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #30
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
I have had 4 clutches in my car and the 5th is being shipped as I write this. The ZR1 is worse than the stock ZL1. I destroyed it in one day at the drag strip... One day.... and at that time I only had about 800 whp.

I've never run a Moster but I must admit that Steve was up front when I called him and told me that at that time he did not have a clutch that would last in my car. I sure can't bash him for that.

My car has a lot of power and my rear gears are set-up for 200+ mph in 5th gear in the mile. That means my car will go over 60 mph in first gear and I have to drag the clutch a lot to launch. I have had a few 1.4 60 foot times and many 1.5 times. My car is about 4500 pounds with me in it right now.... I'm hard on clutches.

ZR1 Corvette does not work for drag racing. Stock clutch is better.
That was then, nowadays we've got something that would easily hold what you have.

I thought you put a triple carbon in that?
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #31
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
one of the monster carbon clutches wouldnt work??
He didn't have a triple at the time and I needed a clutch ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
That was then, nowadays we've got something that would easily hold what you have.

The Street Slayer Triple carbon lasted about a year and half and was still working fine when I took it out due to transmission failure. The transmission broke but on disassembly we saw I had been burning it up for a while. There is a lot of heat around the trans (big turbos are right against it) but the triple carbon was getting so hot on one drag pass you could not put the car in reverse until it cooled down.

I dropped the cash to upgrade to a quad carbon clutch, basically the same clutch the Ford GT that went 278mph in the mile is using, just in a Camaro housing. I'm hoping this will reduce my transmission heat and failures....

The slayer clutches are unbreakable.... they are expensive but they will hold whatever you can throw at them.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #32
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
He didn't have a triple at the time and I needed a clutch ASAP.

The Street Slayer Triple carbon lasted about a year and half and was still working fine when I took it out due to transmission failure. The transmission broke but on disassembly we saw I had been burning it up for a while. There is a lot of heat around the trans (big turbos are right against it) but the triple carbon was getting so hot on one drag pass you could not put the car in reverse until it cooled down.

I dropped the cash to upgrade to a quad carbon clutch, basically the same clutch the Ford GT that went 278mph in the mile is using, just in a Camaro housing. I'm hoping this will reduce my transmission heat and failures....

The slayer clutches are unbreakable.... they are expensive but they will hold whatever you can throw at them.
I got pm's from you from February of last year when you said the Mantic failed. At least the HE lasted you almost a full year, better than you had experienced in the past.

If you keep running into issues with those expensive carbon clutches give me a shout. I've got a one-time solution for you whenever you're ready.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #33
vcyclenut

Quote:

would the double carbon be sufficient in a 700rwhp ctsv??

I was just looking at them now looks like the LT1sc should, is this a carbon clutch??
Old 02-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #34
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
I got pm's from you from February of last year when you said the Mantic failed. At least the HE lasted you almost a full year, better than you had experienced in the past.

If you keep running into issues with those expensive carbon clutches give me a shout. I've got a one-time solution for you whenever you're ready.
IDK... I'm a little crazy on power. Kevin at AGP custom built all of my turbo system, none of my parts are shared with his kit except the largest intercooler he has. This was custom designed for big power and it makes a lot of power. I post 1436whp because that is the most we could see on the dyno before the tires started to spin. I don't think it is a far reach to see this engine could be making 2000. We have not dynoed boost above 20 and have easily 30 pounds available and have never gave it more than a 70 shot of nitrous when I used to give it a 300 shot on blower. So the indestructible ZL1 drivetrain is starting to fall apart on me..... Hendrix is shipping the baddest clutch they can make to date. I'm hoping this will be the end.... but the way I beat on a car it is hard to say.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #35
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
would the double carbon be sufficient in a 700rwhp ctsv??

I was just looking at them now looks like the LT1sc should, is this a carbon clutch??
No, the competitors off the shelf twin will not, they'll more than likely want to move you to their triple.

Our twin SC is a ceramic clutch variation and will easily work with your V and will hold that power without any issues at all.

Quote:
IDK... I'm a little crazy on power. Kevin at AGP custom built all of my turbo system, none of my parts are shared with his kit except the largest intercooler he has. This was custom designed for big power and it makes a lot of power. I post 1436whp because that is the most we could see on the dyno before the tires started to spin. I don't think it is a far reach to see this engine could be making 2000. We have not dynoed boost above 20 and have easily 30 pounds available and have never gave it more than a 70 shot of nitrous when I used to give it a 300 shot on blower. So the indestructible ZL1 drivetrain is starting to fall apart on me..... Hendrix is shipping the baddest clutch they can make to date. I'm hoping this will be the end.... but the way I beat on a car it is hard to say.
I can build you a triple that will hold in excess of 1,800 rwtq and is designed to work at insane heat. It still keeps great drivability.

Keep me posted on how that one works for you, I wish you'd have called me instead of forking out more money.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #36
vcyclenut

Quote:
No, the competitors off the shelf twin will not, they'll more than likely want to move you to their triple.

Our twin SC is a ceramic clutch variation and will easily work with your V and will hold that power without any issues at all.

does ceramic grab better as its gets hotter also??

will the stock mc work or should I get yours??

what is the advantage with your release bearing suport??

thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #37
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
does ceramic grab better as its gets hotter also??

will the stock mc work or should I get yours??

what is the advantage with your release bearing suport??

thanks
Carbon/carbon doesn't grab better as it gets hotter, the coefficient physically can't change. It just doesn't break down as it gets hotter due to the inherent design.

C/C coefficient is around .28-.30, for instance, my ceramic is .38 and iron is over .40... that's a huge difference.

The stock master works great.

The release bearing support is billet steel instead of plastic which means it doesn't melt/fail like the stock unit does.

The ceramic will work perfectly for what you have. If you feel that you will be slipping the clutch excessively in an aggressive manner then I'd get you the iron setup which works flawlessly.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #38
patdeez92082

Drives: 2014 ZL1
ZL1 clutch failure

I recently purchased a 2014 ZL1 with 15,000 miles. Probably around 600rwhp at the moment. I noticed during a couple pulls last weekend that in 4th gear at high rpm's there was repeated slight hesitation, and what smelled like burning clutch. Do the factory clutches really go bad at the 600whp range? I realize the previous owner could be the issue......
patdeez92082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #39
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
ZR1 NO! Have it. It was the talk back in 2010-11 so I got it. Better ones out there!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #40
white1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Replace it with a stock one. You'll love it
white1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #41
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by patdeez92082 View Post
I recently purchased a 2014 ZL1 with 15,000 miles. Probably around 600rwhp at the moment. I noticed during a couple pulls last weekend that in 4th gear at high rpm's there was repeated slight hesitation, and what smelled like burning clutch. Do the factory clutches really go bad at the 600whp range? I realize the previous owner could be the issue......
I had over 200 passes at 750rwhp on the stock clutch launching at 5000rpm on slicks and never had and issue. The clutch looked really good when we pulled the motor to build a forged stroker motor.
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #42
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have the ZR1 clutch as well. Not real happy with it.
Excellent street manners but does not like to be beat on.
Anyone know if I could use the ZL1 clutch with the ZR1 flywheel and slave?
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote