#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #365
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
The Challenger updates and Hellcat engine allowed Dodge to shine while there was a void as the Mustang and Camaro were transitioning to new platforms. It's even possible the HC is one reason the ZL1 is getting rolled out in the Camaro's second model year. Fact is, the HC is one "hell" of an engine but making power is the easy part and at its current starting MSRP of $65,190, the new ZL1 will make it look like an expensive, one dimensional antique.
I would bet the ZL1 creeps pretty close to the Hellcat MSRP. I would guess 65ish might even be where the ZL1 MSRP starts at.

All while doing everything better than the hellcat (except maybe straight line we will see)
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #366
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
What do we all think of the tires, F1 Supercar G2.
this is same as last gen yes?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #367
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
It sounds like it will more than likely be coming to the rest of the lineup for the MY18 car. That hasn't been confirmed, but it sounds like it has been confirmed that the A8 will be on the other camaros for MY17. I just don't see them having two auto trannys available in 2018.
It might be spread to the rest of Camaro in 2018, but nothing has been at all confirmed...or even mentioned. So it's anyone's guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
I digress, at the risk of boring many in these rooms.......perusing wide ranging reaction to much anticipated ZL1 gives pause to this Baby Boomer and acquiesce decades past. Mid sixties, 1967 to be more precise....still grateful to a father that taught hard work, good grades has rewards for this high school senior.....Butternut yellow SS396, MSRP $3700 +-. I believe first year Chevy offered 8 track stereo option. I can still recall every song narrated by supplied Lorne Greene demo tape. Weekends......week days were for work.....cruising main-street and loop through Dairy Queen. GM, Ford, Mopar guys all quick to declare superiority. Though there were foreign car and two seat enthusiasts, the bulk of the cruisers were Pony/muscle cars. Oh, if only more knew about that secretive COPO ordering system! A 13 second car was near or at the top of food chain. With that, few if any could stop or turn. All too soon events whether college, Vietnam, 70's air pump toads thanks to the Feds, new families, careers, change everything. Twenty first century arrives and American Manufactures resurrect horsepower wars and their renditions of modern muscle cars. As a bonus, they now stop and turn while returning respectable MPG along with 11-12 second 1/4 mile times, and 0-60 times our Sixties cars could only dream about. Having owned 3 C6 Vettes, including 1 Z06, I never felt that commadery of muscle car group. I ventured to 6 figure European offerings, and while polished, not the American iron I missed. Then the Camaro ZL1 came along. Whith an interior reminiscent 60's, read staid, the looks and performance made me dream how this car would have dominated anything coming through that Dairy Queen. I enjoy the car more than any of my C6's, and takes me back to that voice of Lorne Greene. Now an even better ZL1 Camaro has been announced. I'll be first in line when orders taken. Not that many more years for this Boomer to enjoy his toys and relive feelings past before lights out.
What a wonderful post.

I'm a "young'un"...but it is a very special thing to consider myself a small part of this community, and be part of the legendary story that is Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
So,......when they say "estimated hp/tq", could it be more? Could it be less?
It's never less than their "estimated numbers".

My guess is that it'll be rated at 650 like the Corvette...but I've been wrong before. I would be quite shocked if it produced more power than the Z06...though it's been said that the company isn't "protecting" the Corvette for any reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrophy View Post
Mr. Wyndham my apologies if this has already been addressed. I went through the thread and did not see this question. What about the rest of the drivetrain? Did the upgrade the rear axles, transfer case, etc. to handle the additional torque?
I would assume so. They did not mention any of these parts specifically, but I think that's because it goes without saying.

Last generation ZL1 was damn-near bulletproof...They've been working pretty hard to live up to all expectations set forth by the 5th generation, so I would imagine they've maintained the durability of the drivetrain.

After all...the LT4 is only 50 lbs heavier than the LT1...all this extra weight had to come from somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
i'm going to let GM argue with you with regards to the new ZL1:

"Reign over strip, street and track"

challenge made.
They were pretty firm on this concept of "the best". As always...the future bring faster, more powerful cars. But this is an extremely well-balanced, awesome-feeling package that will be tough to touch for the price.

For consideration...the last generation ZL1 had a track mode for drag strips and prepped surfaces...I imagine this car will follow suit to make the most of it's power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Wow, amazing car. Thanks for the outstanding write-up.
You're welcome!! I'm glad so many people are responding positively to the car. It was truly amazing!!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
Close indeed. Judging from Mr. Wyndham's and other passengers' feedback on the hot lap, I think one difference will be that the zl1 driver won't feel as if they're knocking on death's door if they lose a millisecond's concentration.
Not in the least. It was so controlled, composed, and dialed in...did I mention Fast?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #368
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
The ball is now in Ford's 2017 GT500...
I haven't even heard anything in regards to this car being official...at least not for 2017. Did I miss something?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #369
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I haven't even heard anything in regards to this car being official...at least not for 2017. Did I miss something?
No, nothing official.

The only hint towards it was back during the GT350 reveal when Raj was asked about the GT500 and he said the GT350 "had really good bones"

The implication is that the platform and such was capable of a much more powerful, capable powertrain.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #370
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
No, nothing official.

The only hint towards it was back during the GT350 reveal when Raj was asked about the GT500 and he said the GT350 "had really good bones"

The implication is that the platform and such was capable of a much more powerful, capable powertrain.
Got ya, I still frequent the Mustang forums, (just sold my coyote), and didn't remember seeing anything. I was hoping for a twin turbocharged "ecoboost" coyote or something like that...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #371
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
So because I didn't add a "lol" in my post, that makes me mad and or agitated? Yes I currently drive a Hellcat, the car I had prior was a 2012 ZL1, what exactly is your point again? Once again, you are talking to someone whom has had a 2010 SS/RS, 2011 SS/RS, 2013 1LE and a 2012 ZL1.

I know the ZL1 is marketed as an "all-around" performance vehicle, that is what made me fall in love with it in the first place, it wasn't the King at anything honestly but I was content with it exterior/interior and performance wise. It was a great Daily driver as well. Then REALITY set in and I purchased the 2015 Challenger Hellcat, lol. Well you know, because I wanted to. (I added a "lol" in there for you). I will sit and watch once the numbers are released on the ZL1 and make my determination to buy one then.

Tell me something I don't know about the car I already own. I know my car is good for 1 thing, and that's the strip/straight line and pick-up and go fun which is fun. Its disadvantages didn't hinder me from making the purchase. I'm not the type of driver that is going to take my car to a road course/track. Even when I had my ZL1 it never saw a road course/track. I had the capability to do it, I just choose not to. The only fun I had was on the highway, stop and go traffic and even from the roll. You can sit here and be honest with yourself or lie to impress but as I stated only a handful of owners will take it to a road course/track, the majority will take it to a drag strip if they even decide to use it for its purpose. The others will just drive it because well you know, they just want to.

I love how you threw your finances in there, lol. (there is another "lol" in case your counting) I'm sure you could afford one, and a million other cars but REALITY is you drive a SS/RS. To each his own. You own what you own because that's your life and I own what I own because I'm living my life the way I want to. Just like I could have a Viper, which I could honestly but being 6'2 and 220lbs I don't think I'd be comfortable. Point is anyone can say they can afford a car, but ut oh, I don't want to say it, BUT reality comes to mind.

All in all, I still don't know "what the hell your talking about". I'd be happy to race you on the DRAG STRIP for pink slips in your "all around performance" SS. I'm in San Diego, CA. Plenty of tracks around for your liking.

I will completely agree with your statement of we drive what we drive for what we want and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I didn't buy you your car and you didn't buy mine. Gen5 to Gen6 / Hellcat is a canyon of a difference. It is not a good reference point. If you had owned a gen6 you would be more qualified to reserve any judgement against gen6 camaro's as well as the upcoming ZL1.

I did mention finances due to the fact that very most common reply I get to my comments is "oh you cannot afford one so you are just shit talking" which you may or may not have used. Going from a gen5 to a hellcat on your move was a damn smart smart one. While the gen5 zl1/z28 are good, it is still a gen5. Something I did not own nor would I have ever wanted to own, would've taken a hellcat over a gen5 any day. But gen6? No. What I drive also is a 2SS, doesn't have the RS to it like the gen5s did but if you knew anything at all about the gen6's you'd actually know that and would also know the fact of how much greater of a DD the 2SS is over a ZL1 or the upcoming other camaro and long side to a lot more things. While ZL1 will still be good to DD and very doable, 2SS will be much better at it. Better mpg, more comfort (suspension setup isn't track minded and not talking about just the MRC here, sway bars, springs, no-dry sump, no elsd). Just like a base stringray or z51 is much more practical and cheaper to have than a Zo6 or the upcoming GS. But let me guess? Because it has 10000000hp it's the greatest car of all times?

Funny you mention about pink slips and drag racing. That's your "manly" way of satisfying yourself? Sorry bro, I don't swing that way. Happily married to a woman. You could however learn to respect and accept other people's opinions whether you share them or not. There were a million other ways of expressing yourself in order to establish your points of disagreeing which you had chosen not to follow a certain way of accomplishing that. I can think of a couple reasons as to why but what's the point? You won't get "what the hell I am talking about" anyways.

A good mini read.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/totd-...pr=18332466311
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #372
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I think in a real drag race stock for stock the ZL1 will win most of the time simply do to the traction issues the hell cat challenger has from the lack of the proper size tires. It truly is an awesome car either way. Pretty impressive to see it hang with a Z06. Although, there are also youtube videos showing it the other way too. The challenger sounds like it has the scare the crap out of you factor which is what I always liked. I will say that my ZL1 is so controlled and well mannered that it's almost numb at times.
Those races were from a roll, the Challenger's best possible result. Try that Z06 vs Hellcat off the line and see what happens.
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #373
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
Attached Images

chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #374
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #375
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
Those races were from a roll, the Challenger's best possible result. Try that Z06 vs Hellcat off the line and see what happens.

The Hellcat isn't the Z06's competitor, Dodge has the Viper ACR for that. The Hellcat should be compared to the Mustang and Camaro.

In regards to your off the line comment the Z06 probably pulls it to 130 or so then the Hellcat walks around it.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #376
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Well there is the Hellcat Charger coupe everyone's been talking about...

I kid...I kid (mostly). It does bear a passing resemblance to the Charger Hellcat's front end. If you take the hood from the 12-14 SRT8, the front end treatment from the 2016 HellCharger and tweak it a little...it's similar to the Camaro.

SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #377
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Funny you mention about pink slips and drag racing. That's your "manly" way of satisfying yourself? Sorry bro, I don't swing that way. Happily married to a woman.
What is that supposed to mean?

Sounds like your original comment was to say that dodge didn't catch the memo on performance cars and this guy called you out on it - and rightly so. While they are heavier cars due to the chassis they sit on, Dodge has high praise for their power, comfort, technology (hint: uconnect is one of the best infotainment systems available) and while their handling isn't top tier it's not that bad. What it can offer is usable back seats and pretty incredible motors. The 392 and hellcat motor are fantastic.

That being said I think the new ZL1 is going to beat the hellcat in all measures. But that doesn't change the fact that your original comment was misinformed.
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #378
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Mr. Wyndham or any other Mod,

Please move all of the pissing contest over drag racing to the Vs. forum where it belongs and ask the people that are constantly measuring their however small penises over the ZL1 and Hellcat to take that crap to where it belongs. This is supposed to be a thread with info on the new ZL1.

Thanks!!
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote