#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-01-2019, 06:01 AM   #323
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
The A10 is NOT telepathic. You should drive a PDK transmission and report back on how well that transmission works.

The A10 is only a slightly better version of the A8 found in the Corvettes. I drove a ZL1 A10 on back roads and the verdict is this - the computer is always trying to learn YOU and decides when to shift.

It was frustrating at times with constant 'SHIFT DENIED' messages being thrown at me. You are instantly hit with the realization that the driver is not in control.

P.s. I am an advanced HPDE driver so I wasn't shifting or chucking in the car unnecessarily.

The only chance an Automatic can get to being 'telepathic' is getting to a Dual Clutch.

All that A10 does for the ZL1 1LE is pander to the masses and Add Weight which further dilutes this car. The A10 is is simply a reinforced torque convertor transmission.

Al Oppenheiser was dead against having an Auto in this car for all the reasons stated above.
The ZL1 is about being the faster car, the ZL1 1LE is about being even faster and breaking records while humiliating cars that cost 3 times as much. The 10 speed only makes it faster so it belongs in that car. I'm tired of you manual purists acting like superior gods, we get it, you're a good driver, but let people ****ing choose what they want. If I was going to buy a ZL1 1LE, I would get the 10 speed because I want to humiliate people on the track and I want to be as fast as possible. If all you want is fun and control and having a telepathic steering, chassis, etj, buy a damn Miata. These cars are becoming so fast the manual is holding them back on every aspect.
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #324
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
The ZL1 is about being the faster car, the ZL1 1LE is about being even faster and breaking records while humiliating cars that cost 3 times as much. The 10 speed only makes it faster so it belongs in that car. I'm tired of you manual purists acting like superior gods, we get it, you're a good driver, but let people ****ing choose what they want. If I was going to buy a ZL1 1LE, I would get the 10 speed because I want to humiliate people on the track and I want to be as fast as possible. If all you want is fun and control and having a telepathic steering, chassis, etj, buy a damn Miata. These cars are becoming so fast the manual is holding them back on every aspect.
Exactly...pathetic attitudes. Not sure why it's so damn hard for some folks to embrace technology & simply watch it continue to improve & develop. Mostly just be happy for those that do choose an alternative. From reading this crap you would think the auto is inferior on the track. Personally, I feel the snobbish purists who wish autos fail are just pissed how well they actually perform.

If 'ALL' that crap was true then they would be mashing a clutch in Formula one.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #325
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Exactly...pathetic attitudes. Not sure why it's so damn hard for some folks to embrace technology & simply watch it continue to improve & develop. Mostly just be happy for those that do choose an alternative. From reading this crap you would think the auto is inferior on the track. Personally, I feel the snobbish purists who wish autos fail are just pissed how well they actually perform.

If 'ALL' that crap was true then they would be mashing a clutch in Formula one.

Quote:
The A10 is NOT telepathic. You should drive a PDK transmission and report back on how well that transmission works.

The A10 is only a slightly better version of the A8 found in the Corvettes. I drove a ZL1 A10 on back roads and the verdict is this - the computer is always trying to learn YOU and decides when to shift.

It was frustrating at times with constant 'SHIFT DENIED' messages being thrown at me. You are instantly hit with the realization that the driver is not in control.

P.s. I am an advanced HPDE driver so I wasn't shifting or chucking in the car unnecessarily.

The only chance an Automatic can get to being 'telepathic' is getting to a Dual Clutch.

All that A10 does for the ZL1 1LE is pander to the masses and Add Weight which further dilutes this car. The A10 is is simply a reinforced torque convertor transmission.

Al Oppenheiser was dead against having an Auto in this car for all the reasons stated above.
So much of this is so wrong.

At the NCM track I had a Corvette instructor in my passenger seat who was completely blown away at the A10 performance... so much so he had to drive the car for himself. His exact comments were the A8 is no where near this A10. Test driving an A10 around will not get you the full effect.

Shift Denied - I have no idea what that is. Never seen it in an A10 unless you are playing with paddles which are just that "play toys" that are not needed unless you want to make folks think you have a manual and can shift on your own.

A10 panders to the performance minded folks who don't care about egos.

...and Al was not dead set against anything, he just discussed why the auto hadn't been put in the 1LE at that point. Heck he put a 4 cylinder in the 6th Gen along with an Auto in the 1LE and now working electric cars. They are not going to give up future plans in any shape or fashion, and will speak to the past about current cars, but obviously open to change which is a good thing.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #326
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Don’t lump all us manual guys in the same bucket. I could have ordered the auto and chose not to cause all my other vehicles are auto.
I think putting the auto in is great. And myself I certainly don’t want to see them fail in any way. Absolutely not.
I would like to think my manual is going to be faster but the reality is I may not be fast enough. I’m good with that.

I think everybody is taking this a little too seriously. I believe the idea is to conquer the competition whether a manual or automatic transmission.
And by competition I’m referring to our the other manufacturers.

Am I wrong here?
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #327
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
My comment was made to invalidate the comment that the Automatic is telepathic. It is NOT in Manual mode. Shifting gears in Manual mode with paddle shifters does not lend to an 'engaging' experience at least for me. This was particularly true when I got SHIFT DENIED messages.

I've owned Automatic performance cars before and just throwing it out there that Torque convertors have inherent thermal issues that require a lot more cooling which adds more weight. All this without the shift speed of a Dual Clutch. That is why Ford when down the route of a DCT.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #328
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:

1. DCT trannies deny shifts too. It just doesn’t give you an 80s graphic that says “shift denied.”
2. DCTs are heavier than traditional autos and manuals.
3. None of this really matters. This is bar talk shits.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #329
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneZ2800 View Post
Does anyone have dates that the new 1LE's with the A10's will be showing up on dealer floors?
First ones should be at dealerships towards the end of the month. Our first has a TPW of 3/11/19.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #330
KaneZ2800

Drives: 512M
Thank you Jeff. Much appreciated.
KaneZ2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #331
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
My comment was made to invalidate the comment that the Automatic is telepathic. It is NOT in Manual mode. Shifting gears in Manual mode with paddle shifters does not lend to an 'engaging' experience at least for me. This was particularly true when I got SHIFT DENIED messages.

I've owned Automatic performance cars before and just throwing it out there that Torque convertors have inherent thermal issues that require a lot more cooling which adds more weight. All this without the shift speed of a Dual Clutch. That is why Ford when down the route of a DCT.
So we agree on one thing... manual mode is pretty much worthless, but I still don't see where this shift denied message you're so concerned with has any bearing if you're NOT in Manual mode.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #332
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:

SPOILER ALERT: If you are getting "SHIFT DENIED" then guess what.... you shouldn't be downshifting!!!

The only part of your rants that have any merit is yes in Manual Mode it's not "Telepathic", no shit, why do you think they have pointed out several times that it is FASTER when you just leave it in drive and let the computer do it's job?!?!

And I love my TR6060 as much as the next guy but if you are really so gung ho about the A10 not being "engaging" enough you are more focused on your ego and not pure speed/lap times. So there for the A10 ZL1 1LE is not for, let the people that do want the benefit of the A10 enjoy it!!!

Oh and yea like someone else stated, yes a TC Auto is heavier than a traditional manual but a DCT is even heavier still, that's why Pagani put a single clutch trans into the Huayra instead even though they knew it shifts slower!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #333
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
SPOILER ALERT: If you are getting "SHIFT DENIED" then guess what.... you shouldn't be downshifting!!!

The only part of your rants that have any merit is yes in Manual Mode it's not "Telepathic", no shit, why do you think they have pointed out several times that it is FASTER when you just leave it in drive and let the computer do it's job?!?!

And I love my TR6060 as much as the next guy but if you are really so gung ho about the A10 not being "engaging" enough you are more focused on your ego and not pure speed/lap times. So there for the A10 ZL1 1LE is not for, let the people that do want the benefit of the A10 enjoy it!!!

Oh and yea like someone else stated, yes a TC Auto is heavier than a traditional manual but a DCT is even heavier still, that's why Pagani put a single clutch trans into the Huayra instead even though they knew it shifts slower!
100%
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #334
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Don’t lump all us manual guys in the same bucket. I could have ordered the auto and chose not to cause all my other vehicles are auto.
I think putting the auto in is great. And myself I certainly don’t want to see them fail in any way. Absolutely not.
I would like to think my manual is going to be faster but the reality is I may not be fast enough. I’m good with that.

I think everybody is taking this a little too seriously. I believe the idea is to conquer the competition whether a manual or automatic transmission.
And by competition I’m referring to our the other manufacturers.

Am I wrong here?
You're not, but people can be sensitive on this topic and I don't really think many of them were able to comprehend your message due to how inflated this topic quickly became after the A10 announcement.

I would have loved to see the ZLE get a DCT like the GT500 instead of a traditional automatic. At least it is a really great auto(when in auto).
Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #335
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post

^^^ Agree. So I have an A10 and I have owned cars with a DCT. My personal feeling is let the A10 do it's thing if you want to be fast and let it handle the shifting. I do mess around and manual shift from time to time and I have seen the shift denied message. Every time I have seen the message the car was right and it wasn't something I actually should have done. My only real complaint is I would like to be able to opt into performance shift mode instead of the car deciding. I know I can just floor it, but I can't always drive the car hard enough in the canyons to keep it in that mode without being irresponsible.

As far as DCT...the best quality is when you click the paddle it shifts instantaneously which is very satisfying. The A10 just doesn't respond as quickly...but as I said, if you want to be fast let it do its thing. That said, most DCTs aren't the greatest when you're trying to drive like a normal human in city traffic. My experience is mainly BMW related and I haven't driven a PDK which is supposed to be phenomenal.
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #336
Tremek

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I have yet to experience this in the A10 that is in the ZL1.

BTW, the SLE you test drove...did you buy it? If not then that is why they don't just let people test drive the ZL1.
Didn't buy the SS 1LE as they ended up being way low on trade-in value on my -V wagon; I sold it private party that same month for $7k more than they were offering.

Also, I didn't ruin that SS 1LE. The hill climb flogging was in a rental!