Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #309
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
Does anyone know what mph the gt350 3rd to 4th shift is at? That's the key here, because you may be as likely to have to downshift at gt350 into 2nd as you are to have to upshift an SS into 4th depending on the track.
The SS goes to a higher speed in every gear.. So, I'm still wondering about this "you'll have to shift way less with a GT350" thing.

Edit: Just looked at the Hennessey video and the above may not be true, but they are very close to each other in MPH in the first 4 gears.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #310
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
That's what I'm thinking too. You can probably keep an 1LE in 3rd on a slower corner where the gt350 may have to downshift to second then upshift to 3rd on the straight. Say there is one corner like that and one straight where you need to go over 110mph and shift the camaro (assuming the gt350 can keep 3rd for that entire straight). Then I would call that a wash on loss of time due shifting. With the 1LE getting the edge due to low end torque coming out of most corners where both cars are staying in 3rd.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #311
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
The fact is, on a road course, you are going to be shifting the GT350 much less often than the SS Camaro. Those shifts will cost you time, no way around it. In addition, the GT350 only has one overdriven gear, the Camaro has two. This is one factor that contributes to the better MPG for the SS versus the GT350.
Incorrect. Below is what motor trend had to say about the gearing of the GT.
You’re shifting a lot, too, just cresting into third as you enter the corner before shifting back down to second. We like rowing our own gears as much as the next guy or gal, but rushing through the gears in the Ford is frustrating

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...rd-mustang-gt/
Also, The Voodoo revs higher but its usable power is also 1500 rpm higher. Its a turd below 4000 rpm

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #312
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Two over drives in the auto, but also has 6 power gears. M6 only has one overdrive just like the GT350s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Camaro features two overdrives.

Comparison of the GT350 v Camaro SS transmission ratios.

Name:  SS GT350 gears.png
Views: 407
Size:  99.1 KB
Old 03-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #313
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Incorrect. Below is what motor trend had to say about the gearing of the GT.
You’re shifting a lot, too, just cresting into third as you enter the corner before shifting back down to second. We like rowing our own gears as much as the next guy or gal, but rushing through the gears in the Ford is frustrating

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...rd-mustang-gt/
Also, The Voodoo revs higher but its usable power is also 1500 rpm higher. Its a turd below 4000 rpm
350 has longer gears than the GT, but it's about the same as the Camaro SS.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #314
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Camaro features two overdrives.

Comparison of the GT350 v Camaro SS transmission ratios.

Attachment 778594
I stand corrected. Must have been thinking about my old 6 speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #315
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Goes something like this.. Hey, what's the maximum torque my engine produces? Okay, multiply that by final drive and that gear ratio and you get your net torque!!! Omg, the Coyote engine makes 400 torque whether at idle or at 5k RPM so it all makes sense!!!!

You think with that extra net torque, the GT would be able to keep up with the SS.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #316
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I do know this, that if Ford did spend a lot of money on this engine, it has to be a huge failure.

2. Built an engine with less HP and torque than Chevy can easily make with the 6.2 LT1 or almost any other recent NA V8 engine in the GM's arsenal
3. The engine isn't small in physical size, doesn't out power many V8 engines, and still requires a gas-guzzler tax.
4. Where or how does anyone see this engine as a success?

My comments are not intended to trash the GT350, heaven only knows they need something in Ford's arsenal to counter the new Camaro. I just think all the hoopla about the advantages of the flat plane engine come only from those who haven't subjectively looked at it's advantages/disadvantages. If it's such a great racing engine, why isn't Ford using it in their new LeMans Ford GT?
Quote:

Again, you base GG tax on the outgoing Chevy engine in 4100 lb cars when any aficionado knows the LT1, nor none of it's derivatives require the tax, not even the highest HP Z06.

So, you think it a bragging point that the Voodoo is the largest FPC engine made and it sells for less than it's other FPC Ferrari competitors. Really?..you think that's something to brag about and call a success? Right! A gas guzzler, relatively low HP engine. Try building a resto-mod car with that engine and see how much it costs. They haven't released it as a crate engine as far as I could find.

I call the Voodoo a failure if it doesn't power the Mustang appreciably faster than the latest LS3 or LS7 and then only because of lighter wheels and better tires.

Quote:
Not only do I tip my hat to the Mustang competition, I have owned 5 of them and loved them all...I am not necessarily a Chevy fanboy...I just love cars.

I am quite certain the "base" engine in the new Camaro is only the beginning of a long line of great factory high performance cars that more often than not outperform their Ford counterparts. I give credit to Ford for going way out on the limb to build the Voodoo, but it has to be disheartening to spend all that money on that engine for the relatively poor performance output. Of course that's my opinion.

I guess HP is one measure of the value of a car, but I honestly see that Chevrolet has done wonderfully well in every automotive arena using the engines they have built and raced. Seems to me, they have developed an excellent all-around sporty car that doesn't need the highest HP to win. I'm sure you would be willing to give a tip of the hat to that fact...lol. All the Ford guys point to the fact that the small displacement Coyote and Voodoo put out a lot of HP for their size and sometimes use that as an excuse for it's poor performance...ok, but it usually takes a back seat to Chevy's bigger engines. Ford could have built any size engine they wanted.
You say you tip your cap to them, but your previous posts, namely the ones I bolded you pretty much act as if this is one of the worst engines ever built. Not exactly tipping your cap lol. I am not trying to say you need to say its fantastic but you seem to think its a total piece of junk lol.

I think what GM has done with the Camaro is incredible. The SS is damn fast, it is almost scary to think what the high performance variants will be capable off.

Also you say HP is one way to value an engine but you were the one who kept mentioning the Voodoos low HP. You were the one who brought it up. You dogged the voodoo for low HP, I asked you to name an engine that makes more HP you ignored. You said the LT1 nor any of its derivatives get the gas guzzler tax. The LT4 in the CTS-V does. You also ignored that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
It's not the 526 that's low, it's the 429 ft/lbs of torque that's low. They are dynoing around 455/375. The "not so special" LT1 does 410/410. Perhaps the Ford just has more drive train loss, I don't know

This is why the GT350 is not any faster in the 1/4 mile. The 5.2 FPC only looks amazing in comparison to the 5.0. Yes, it revs to like 8000rpm. I fail to see why that is better than having a lot of usable low end torque though.

Paris is the one who kept saying the Voodoo is a low HP engine not me.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #317
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Goes something like this.. Hey, what's the maximum torque my engine produces? Okay, multiply that by final drive and that gear ratio and you get your net torque!!! Omg, the Coyote engine makes 400 torque whether at idle or at 5k RPM so it all makes sense!!!!

I saw those threads and graphs over there. They're trying really hard to prove (with data, not with 1/4 mile times) that the Mustang is just as fast as the SS.

I don't care what their graph shows in manipulating gear ratios, the fact remains that the SS is on average .6 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. That's a lot.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #318
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6

mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #319
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
You think with that extra net torque, the GT would be able to keep up with the SS.
The GT only has more net torque through 50 MPH, after that its pretty even until about 70 and then the SS takes it. It's one of the reasons the GT is so hard to launch with the 3:73 gears.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #320
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
I saw those threads and graphs over there. They're trying really hard to prove (with data, not with 1/4 mile times) that the Mustang is just as fast as the SS.

I don't care what their graph shows in manipulating gear ratios, the fact remains that the SS is on average .6 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. That's a lot.
I don't get why that is so hard to understand lol. The SS with the A8 is a beast in the 1/4
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #321
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
The GT only has more net torque through 50 MPH, after that its pretty even until about 70 and then the SS takes it. It's one of the reasons the GT is so hard to launch with the 3:73 gears.
I've never seen a GT have more torque than an SS at that point on a dyno sheet...not to mention the ratings are 400 to 455.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #322
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I've never seen a GT have more torque than an SS at that point on a dyno sheet...not to mention the ratings are 400 to 455.
You're forgetting that this is Mustang fanboy math at play..