#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #295
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
Pretty sure I read earlier that it has been re-geared and optimized. Don't know what that means, but I'm sure in the next few months we'll get all the dirty details.
Almost certainly it means closer ratios and no long overdrive. It will probably have a lousy highway EPA sticker and a higher gas guzzler tax than the current ZL1 M6, but who is going to take this car on a boring interstate ride to wear out a set of tires which cost at least $2k?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #296
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Ya gotta wonder why GM can't engineer this model in a way that these front canards and monstrous rear "wing" can be installed simply for racing and removed as easily for street use. I agree with quite a few others in thread who would feel like an idiot or a ricer driving this car on the street with all that crap sticking out the sides and up in the air.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #297
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Would like to second that, with regards to a conversation I had with Matt Scrase (sp?) about the same thing.

Of course we'll have to wait for proof to sooth the doubters...but they are extremely confident...and well aware of the Z06 troubles. I can't help but doubt they'd be so confident with that cloud looming, if they weren't sure.
That is the correct spelling of his name....
Old 02-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #298
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Ya gotta wonder why GM can't engineer this model in a way that these front canards and monstrous rear "wing" can be installed simply for racing and removed as easily for street use. I agree with quite a few others in thread who would feel like an idiot or a ricer driving this car on the street with all that crap sticking out the sides and up in the air.
Where does ot says they cannot be removed and reinstalled?

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #299
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Nowhere...but it's going to depend on the fasteners.

I know for certain, at least, that there are holes in the fascia where the dive planes attach.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #300
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Always amazes me how some people have to post stupid stuff like this. Obviously these pieces can be removed. The point is can it be done with with ease and simplicity.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #301
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
I'm glad they made it an option for the ZL1, Cause no way in hell I would want that rear wing on my ZL1. For me the rear wing may be totally functional, but it looks like the rear wing off of what we call "ricers, imports, or tuner cars" Or for those who watch Street Outlaws "A triple stack wing with a big ass fart can"

I like the bigger tires, but not at the loss of the MRC. When you're not pushing hard, its nice to have a smooth ride.

Just like you can buy the aero/track package for the Corvette, you can now upgrade your ZL1 to a more track focused car. Just not my cup of tea. I wanted something with speed, power, handling, and great looks. The 2017 ZL1 is perfect for ME!
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #302
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Yeah we know about the GT3s. Track car from the word go and a fantastic looking vehicle on the street. A GT3 is NOT comparable to a Mustang or Camaro in the minds of those in their target audience and we all know it. I work with and know a bunch of P car guys and none of them would ever consider a Pony Car even if it were faster around the tracks than the Porsche GT cars. It would be like a hard core Harley V-twin man switching to a Suzuki cruiser, ani't never gonna happen.
I wouldn't say that's true. Current Z/28 is the same class of car as a gt4, gt3 or 997 gt3 rs at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Chris Harris compared to a 997 gt3 Rs, MotorTrend compared to a 991 gt3. MotorTrend concluded you could have a z/28, truck, trailer, fees and tires for the price of an as tested gt3.

In reality, I could have gotten a gt4 or gt3 but was absolutely unwilling to take on that kind of "asset". I love what Chevy is doing. They took a German car guy (me) and made me appreciate a budget performance car. My z/28 has just been amazing on track and you can bet my interest in a gt4 just fell flat on its face for a ZL1 1LE. Im surprised by the negativity- most people are correct: if you don't track your car then you shouldn't be rolling around with dive planes and a park bench but if you do... it's a life style and a statement. I don't feel bad when I'm rolling around with my wickerbill and splitter now... I love it. It's my (expensive) hobby and I sure don't mind sharing that. Also, you don't see gt3 Rs owners complaining about their wings. Lastly, I hope they don't do the gt350r garbage and create a limited production exclusive car that can't be owned. A 100k mustang is a joke. Amazing value at msrp but it's just a joke at current asking prices.

I just want to say thank you to chevy for pushing the engineering envelope. I mean that. They've enabled a common guy like me to own near supercar performance. Ford screwed the auto enthusiast community. The Germans (Bmw) can't figure it out lately. Porsche can't let the cayman breath. When you look at what Chevys done they've basically created a car that caterers to everyone's desires and they've seemed to do it well. Super impressed.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #303
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
I wouldn't say that's true. Current Z/28 is the same class of car as a gt4, gt3 or 997 gt3 rs at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Chris Harris compared to a 997 gt3 Rs, MotorTrend compared to a 991 gt3. MotorTrend concluded you could have a z/28, truck, trailer, fees and tires for the price of an as tested gt3.

In reality, I could have gotten a gt4 or gt3 but was absolutely unwilling to take on that kind of "asset". I love what Chevy is doing. They took a German car guy (me) and made me appreciate a budget performance car. My z/28 has just been amazing on track and you can bet my interest in a gt4 just fell flat on its face for a ZL1 1LE. Im surprised by the negativity- most people are correct: if you don't track your car then you shouldn't be rolling around with dive planes and a park bench but if you do... it's a life style and a statement. I don't feel bad when I'm rolling around with my wickerbill and splitter now... I love it. It's my (expensive) hobby and I sure don't mind sharing that. Also, you don't see gt3 Rs owners complaining about their wings. Lastly, I hope they don't do the gt350r garbage and create a limited production exclusive car that can't be owned. A 100k mustang is a joke. Amazing value at msrp but it's just a joke at current asking prices.

I just want to say thank you to chevy for pushing the engineering envelope. I mean that. They've enabled a common guy like me to own near supercar performance. Ford screwed the auto enthusiast community. The Germans (Bmw) can't figure it out lately. Porsche can't let the cayman breath. When you look at what Chevys done they've basically created a car that caterers to everyone's desires and they've seemed to do it well. Super impressed.
I also find the negativity amazing. I get that a lot of people wouldn't care for it on the street and feel "ricer-style" about it, but that is why the ZL1 exists. I work for a German Import dealer and absolutely love a 911 GT3 RS, optional roll cage, huge wing and all (mainly in 997 form, but 991 will do as well). The Cayman GT4.....and as rumor has it GT4-RS, the 911 GT2-RS. BMW recently released the M4 GTS with a large track wing and built in roll-cage. Mercedes AMG Black Series cars and now the AMG GT-R have had some higher "pedestal mounted" spoilers, although not quite as large as the cars I just mentioned. Viper ACR..... I've not heard any complaints from enthusiasts of these car lines with these products. The same mentality exists, here too. If you dislike the extremism of the Cayman GT4, 911 GT3-RS, 911 GT2-RS, M4 GTS and Viper ACR, then the Cayman GTS, 911 GT3 or GTS, M4 and Viper GTS or TA exist (existed to purchase when new).
Personally I love it. When the C6 Z06X concept arrived, it was amazing! Something at the same time that I had been thinking about doing if I ever had the opportunity to own a Z06. In my opinion, it's not a "ricer wing", but more of an homage to the true race cars, kind of a badge of honor of sorts. Simply putting people as close as possible to owning the race cars, like the C7 Z06 and its C7.R companion that were developed together. If the ZL1 1LE were something I could afford, which it is not, I would drive it like it is on the street.
I do know that the wing, splitter and dive planes would not be my true issue with it on the street. The DSSV suspension and solid mounted rear sub-frame would be way to harsh on the streets here in Wisconsin. Also the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3R's might stick like glue, but would be terrible in the rain I'm sure, pick up every pebble/stone off the road and beat up my fenders/quarters/side skirts but also wouldn't last 2K miles on street.
As a side note: I can already "hear" the comments, "this guy must be a 17 year old high school kid", sorry as this is not the case. 35 and married, 4th gen SS (427 equipped) sitting in hibernation at the moment waiting for winter to pass.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #304
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Must really suck to be a mustang fanboy right about now...
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #305
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
The reason you are hearing negativity on this forum is most current 6th Gen ZL1 owners did not buy it to race it anywhere (track, drag strip, xcross). I've never seen so many burn out and pdr vids associated with a new performance car.

What you are seeing is people being able to afford one of the most track capable cars for the $$ ever built that never intend to race it. Now you are seeing those same people see a more track capable version and are either pissed that they bought the wrong car or don't understand it.

I personally think Team Chevy knocked it out the park with this ZL1 1LE.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #306
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
The reason you are hearing negativity on this forum is most current 6th Gen ZL1 owners did not buy it to race it anywhere (track, drag strip, xcross). I've never seen so many burn out and pdr vids associated with a new performance car.

What you are seeing is people being able to afford one of the most track capable cars for the $$ ever built that never intend to race it. Now you are seeing those same people see a more track capable version and are either pissed that they bought the wrong car or don't understand it.

I personally think Team Chevy knocked it out the park with this ZL1 1LE.
I agree with this statement for the most part. I, however, wouldn't say people or pissed because it wasn't available when they bought their ZL1. I would say they don't understand it. This car is definitely built for the gal/guy that intends to put it on the track on a regular basis. So I understand the aggressive aero pieces and the lack of MRC and such. I honestly believe this is supposed to target the GT350R or 2018 model. Yeah I know, "There he goes with the Ford Vs Chevy argument". I am very anxious to see what it can do on a track. Can't wait to see full specs from independent sources.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #307
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
Must really suck to be a mustang fanboy right about now...
The GT500 hasn't been announced yet. But even then, I am willing to bet, it will make more power then the ZL1, but will not handle as well as the ZL1 1LE. Then we also have a unknown Z28.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #308
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
is this the first 2018 info released for any Camaro? Be interesting to see what the 'standard' ZL1 2018 specs are/include. anything released on that?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote