Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2022, 12:21 AM   #281
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Thanks, I looked the kit up and your right. I was thinking it was the toe and traction arms that are pop metal.
No problem! I plan to upgrade a few of the parts including installing the rear cradle lockout kit.. just waiting on some time, lol.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:07 AM   #282
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Whats involved in the cradle lockout kit? Is this a do it yourself kit? Same kit for ZLE?
Not needed for the 1LE. For the standard ZL1 though, it gives about 90% of the same performance as solid bushings.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:04 AM   #283
brad65ford

Drives: 2018 Zl1 Camaro
Got to admit its funny, a heavy boat like the hellcat doesn't require any rear end bushings or arm upgrades. Oh well it is what it is I guess all cars have quarks
brad65ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:17 AM   #284
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Got to admit its funny, a heavy boat like the hellcat doesn't require any rear end bushings or arm upgrades. Oh well it is what it is I guess all cars have quarks
No. Hellcat's need suspension mods too if you plan to drag race them a lot. Its very common to install a diff brace in order to keep the diff from moving around. Rear cradle lockout kits are also needed for serious drag racing. Hellcats are much worse under full throttle than the ZL1 about the rear end moving around. Their bushings are awful compared to the ZL1. Almost everyone that is serious about drag racing in a Hellcat installs a cradle lock out kit, diff brace and AAD suspension arms.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:19 AM   #285
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
No problem! I plan to upgrade a few of the parts including installing the rear cradle lockout kit.. just waiting on some time, lol.

All of that looks nice but really isn't needed in a ZL1. The rear cradle lock out kit is all that you need on a standard ZL1. The 1LE needs nothing.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #286
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:

That should get the job done. Looks like a nice set up.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #287
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
All of that looks nice but really isn't needed in a ZL1. The rear cradle lock out kit is all that you need on a standard ZL1. The 1LE needs nothing.
Probably true on mostly stock cars. Disagree on heavily modified ones though. All the BMR stuff is a no brainer at ~800 WHP and above.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #288
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Probably true on mostly stock cars. Disagree on heavily modified ones though. All the BMR stuff is a no brainer at ~800 WHP and above.
I should have clarified for road racing, not drag racing. My bad.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #289
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Good question, honestly don't remember. I ended up just getting the cradle lock out since my rear would shift real bad on hits even with traction control settings tweaked which did help.
Well its not the wet setting, it pulled power from the car. Sport 1 seem to work well and seemed more stable, I had a couple of nice straight pulls.

Last edited by pauly1119; 02-25-2022 at 02:53 PM.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #290
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
True, but these cars are not about need, but about wants. I have attached a pic of the stock arms. They are made from spindly stamped sheet metal.

Now compare them to the BMR setup in that pic from earlier, and you can see how they would improve any Camaro's handling and straight line composure.

I have the cradle lockout kit and all the items on that table on my regular ZL-1, except the sway bars, and the car is much improved over stock.
Attached Images

Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #291
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:

You will love the results.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #292
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
True, but these cars are not about need, but about wants. I have attached a pic of the stock arms. They are made from spindly stamped sheet metal.

Now compare them to the BMR setup in that pic from earlier, and you can see how they would improve any Camaro's handling and straight line composure.

I have the cradle lockout kit and all the items on that table on my regular ZL-1, except the sway bars, and the car is much improved over stock.
It's really not about looks but strength. I've seen people bend and even break BMR tubular steel control arms on Hellcats but I've never seen it happen with the stock stamped steel pieces even though the BMR pieces look much beefier. I think a lot of people get wrapped in the looks of an aftermarket piece and assume it's better because its bigger. I will admit that poly bushings can improve defelction some over rubber bushings but my point was that for road racing, GM already engineered suspension pieces that are more than good enough. You would gain more from taking track driving lessons than from swapping suspension components on these cars.

As I stated before the cradle lockout is a necessity for better performance except on the 1LE, the other parts not so much.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #293
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
You will love the results.
Yes, definitely! Now I need to find a nice weather day and some free time and can knock it out. Have been doing videos of everything which of course makes installs will take double the time, haha, fun still fun.

As some said needed, nope not at all, but a fun want lol.. I swapped every piece of suspension (including every bushing) in my previous car, a 2017 WRX, and it was a good time, haha.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #294
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
It's really not about looks but strength. I've seen people bend and even break BMR tubular steel control arms on Hellcats but I've never seen it happen with the stock stamped steel pieces even though the BMR pieces look much beefier. I think a lot of people get wrapped in the looks of an aftermarket piece and assume it's better because its bigger. I will admit that poly bushings can improve defelction some over rubber bushings but my point was that for road racing, GM already engineered suspension pieces that are more than good enough. You would gain more from taking track driving lessons than from swapping suspension components on these cars.

As I stated before the cradle lockout is a necessity for better performance except on the 1LE, the other parts not so much.
Hit anything hard enough at the wheel and your will most likely damage the suspension components.. aftermarket or OEM. The BMR pieces feel super stout and shouldn't deflect or bend under any normal or high performance application. The OEM stuff can be twisted and bent by hand. Now.. with stiffening up a bunch of components, well, the new weak link will present itself eventually I'm sure, lol.

I really only planned to do the cradle lockout which is the most important but then I was like... Well, I'll be in the general vicinity so I may as well do this part... And well if I do that one I might as well get this one... And then it kind of spirals out of control, lol.. not to mention I had a coupon code and wanted to stretch it's usefulness out as much as I could!