Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #15
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
I love my ZLE. no way I’d daily it tho. Several reasons (some particular to me and my location):

1. Fuel economy. I drive typically 60-80 miles a day. This thing drinks 93 like a drunken sailor. Seriously. I average maaaaaybe 13-14 mpg. My Civic Type R averages 27 driven the same speeds (and it’s no slouch)
2. Weather. It rains fairly often in spring/summer/fall. And snows a bunch of times in winter.
3. I refuse to take this into the city (Wilmington, Philadelphia, Baltimore). The roads are SO bad with potholes. And I’d seriously worry about it getting stolen/vandalized parked on the street (I worry bad enough about the Type R!)

So for me that makes my ZLE a special occasion car, and for my lifestyle that’s ok!
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #16
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
I'm not as worried about the fuel economy. ZL1 I have no idea what tires I'd replace stock with but I already have a set in my garage for SS.. so weather isn't a major concern. all we really get in TX is rain.

yes I hate driving any car in the city. shopping I park as far back as I can. not like I couldn't use the extra walking as exercise ��. I was willing to look at a type R a couple years back.. but no one was selling at MSRP and no one was doing test drives. Not buying something I can't drive. Used ones are still over MSRP so I imagine I'd get the same experience now
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #17
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
I'm not as worried about the fuel economy. ZL1 I have no idea what tires I'd replace stock with but I already have a set in my garage for SS.. so weather isn't a major concern. all we really get in TX is rain.

yes I hate driving any car in the city. shopping I park as far back as I can. not like I couldn't use the extra walking as exercise ��. I was willing to look at a type R a couple years back.. but no one was selling at MSRP and no one was doing test drives. Not buying something I can't drive. Used ones are still over MSRP so I imagine I'd get the same experience now
I envy you living in TX!!

And dude, I am so with you on the MSRP thing! It took me two months back in 2018 November to buy my new Type R. I could not find one at MSRP anywhere near me. And I refuse to pay over that! I finally located one up in Princeton New Jersey and that dealership is about a 2 Hour drive for me. But they were willing to sell at MSRP on the last day of the month just as they had a new 19 coming in. I paid full MSRP but not a dollar over. That is probably the best new car by I ever made. Right now I could sell my CTR for about 3000 to 5000 more than I paid brand new and I’ve been driving it 2 1/2 years now. That’s pretty crazy! It’s possible that this ZLE will do me even better than that depending on what the market does from here on out I guess (rare car super rare color ultra low miles bone stock). And yes they wouldn’t let me drive it if you can believe that! I had to buy it and then if I didn’t like it they said bring it back and I could un-buy it whatever that means! I actually drive a full road race Honda race car so I’m kind of a Honda fan boy and I was 99% certain that I would love the CTR. And I totally wasn’t wrong. By the time I had driven it about 10 minutes I knew that it was the best stock front wheel drive high-performance car I’ve ever driven in my life. It definitely does not disappoint. I’d go so far as to say that as a daily driver it’s better than the ZLE hands down. It just does so many things so well it’s hard to describe unless you’ve driven one. No of course it’s not as fast nowhere near as fast in a straight line. And in ultimate handling it’s not as good either. But it’s incredibly good. And it doesn’t beat you up at all. And it’s rocksolid reliable and gets great gas mileage at the same time and easily can carry four people and a ton of their crap in the back. It’s a great great great car. It’s just not gonzo nuts like the ZLE!!!!
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #18
Envious_Ivy1LE

yeah.. it's crazy how dealers treat the cars. I understand it's because of liability and "no one wants a ton of miles on these cars" but I had an easier time test driving a $65k Audi SQ5 just because. and they knew my pre-approval was for 30k less on a different car lol

the other big reason I don't think I should get a ZL1 is causw I won't track it. Maybe a couple years down the road.. but right now I'm allowing myself one big fun purchase and then everything else is going into savings for a couple of years
Old 07-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #19
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You don’t have to put one on the track to enjoy it. Mine probably never will be tracked and I just enjoy driving it knowing it is a track capable Camaro and it just is different from the SS. I know I had a 2016 2SS before buying my used low mileage ZL1.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #20
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I for one, am looking into ordering a 2022 2SS 1LE cause I can't justify paying $45K for a used 1SS 1LE when my ideal spec 2SS 1LE is $54K new
Quote:
you mean ZLEs? I can't afford that 😂 also it's my daily and the ZL1 or ZLE are probably too aggressive for a daily (for me)
There are ZLE's but there are SS's and SS 1LE's too. I saw a Red and Shock SS 1LE in addition to a Red ZLE. Those three stood out the most but there were more.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #21
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
There are ZLE's but there are SS's and SS 1LE's too. I saw a Red and Shock SS 1LE in addition to a Red ZLE. Those three stood out the most but there were more.
The order I'd put in is a Rapid Blue 2SS 1LE with sunroof. I feel like this is going to end up being a rare color like the krypton green was
Old 07-06-2021, 08:40 PM   #22
Envious_Ivy1LE

forgive my dumb questions lol I just know most of you will know more about it than I do at the moment.

Sounds like a Base ZL1 and a 2SS 1LE will net the same road feel.. but the ZL1 has a lot more power.. is that accurate?

Does the ZL1 have all the extra cooling that a 2SS 1LE has? and then the ZL1 1LE adds even more cooling/heat exchangers on top of that?