Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Sweet.
I need! Then again I need to much sh*t! Lmao.
Lol but this one you do need
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #16
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Lol but this one you do need
What I REALLY need is home in Sugarloaf or Saddle Bunch or Cudjoe Key!!!!!!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #17
NickyRacerBoy

Homestead will be my winter home track and summer will be NJ Motorsports
Old 03-11-2019, 10:39 PM   #18
NickyRacerBoy

With the home and the keys they'll be no need to brush up with simulator! Laugh out loud
Old 03-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #19
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Yep id pretty much agree. OTOH i know a guy who totaled a new gorgeous Berlinetta...that would hurt big time

Sim is great: ive been on iRacing for a few years now and it is an excellent way to hone one's car control skills et al without any risks. Amongst many other benefits like practicing proper vision technique, braking, learning new venues, etc. Plus racing there is super fun, but very serious and time consuming as one needs to practice to be competitive. It really is a proper sim vs a game.

And It really is directly transfarable to RL driving. When spring comes i have zero transition time to my real car. Zero cobwebs. Zero rust. Just get in and push.
What car do you spend the most time driving?

I feel like the closest thing to the Camaro in terms of specs the 991 gt3 cup, but the engine is in the wrong place
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #20
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
What car do you spend the most time driving?

I feel like the closest thing to the Camaro in terms of specs the 991 gt3 cup, but the engine is in the wrong place
Ive driven many different cars over the years, mainly GT types but also a Radical and Vette Daytona Prototype. Last year i drove an AMG GT3 which was close to Camaro handling and gearing wise. But it is an open set up car so one needs to frig with set ups track to track, or purchase them. VRS folks have set up for most of the cars for about $100 per yr plus telemetry services, vids etc. Great resource!
Having said that, the IMSA series the Benz runs in (among other GT3s, GTEs and a DP) offers 45min races which is a bit long for me.

So i have switched to a Cadillac CTS-V race car which offers 25min sprints and a fixed set up for all drivers except for a brake bias. This car is the closest to a Camaro handling wise including long gearing and not tons of tire. It rewards smooth driving and good braking technique based on how its diff is set up. The car runs in a multi car Global Challenge series together with Kia Optima race car, albeit the latter is not very popular as it is not easy to drive (yet it can be fun once you figure out what it likes vs not).

In any case, the Caddy is pretty damn close imo. It also has an NA motor vs its street version having a supercharged one: 460hp race motor which is right on the money, plus TC and ABS but no Stability control. Can you spell PTM Race? Lol!

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #21
Gasoline_Farts

Quote:
Ive driven many different cars over the years, mainly GT types but also a Radical and Vette Daytona Prototype. Last year i drove an AMG GT3 which was close to Camaro handling and gearing wise. But it is an open set up car so one needs to frig with set ups track to track, or purchase them. VRS folks have set up for most of the cars for about $100 per yr plus telemetry services, vids etc. Great resource!
Having said that, the IMSA series the Benz runs in (among other GT3s, GTEs and a DP) offers 45min races which is a bit long for me.

So i have switched to a Cadillac CTS-V race car which offers 25min sprints and a fixed set up for all drivers except for a brake bias. This car is the closest to a Camaro handling wise including long gearing and not tons of tire. It rewards smooth driving and good braking technique based on how its diff is set up. The car runs in a multi car Global Challenge series together with Kia Optima race car, albeit the latter is not very popular as it is not easy to drive (yet it can be fun once you figure out what it likes vs not).

In any case, the Caddy is pretty damn close imo. It also has an NA motor vs its street version having a supercharged one: 460hp race motor which is right on the money, plus TC and ABS but no Stability control. Can you spell PTM Race? Lol!

Hope this helps. Cheers!
i'll take another look at the caddy, i forgot all about it. I remember the last time i drove it the handling felt weird and twitchy to me, almost like the force feedback acted funny. I have to say i am loving the NTM7 on the skippy, its very sketchy to warm up but once it is up to temperature it feels much more natural, i can lean on the tire and "feel" the grip levels.

edit: also if you are an amazon prime member you can use your free twitch subscription to get access to craigssetupshop (.co.uk)

Last edited by Gasoline_Farts; 03-20-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
i'll take another look at the caddy, i forgot all about it. I remember the last time i drove it the handling felt weird and twitchy to me, almost like the force feedback acted funny. I have to say i am loving the NTM7 on the skippy, its very sketchy to warm up but once it is up to temperature it feels much more natural, i can lean on the tire and "feel" the grip levels.

edit: also if you are an amazon prime member you can use your free twitch subscription to get access to craigssetupshop (.co.uk)
Thx for the tip, i have a VRS membership and i like it as it offers much more value added info vs just set ups.

In any case, they have changed thr Caddy a bit: made it a wee bit slower and changed its diff set up for the better permitting it to rotate nicely off throttle. It can still feel a bit twitchy as the # of clutches is low, but this makes it pretty responsive.

Imo it provides good traction and balance feedback but it is still a fast car and requires some practice to "get it" in terms of what it does well vs not. And of course weather will play a big role here as well. The car will feel very differently with track temps of say 82F vs 115F and given the series uses dynamic weather week to week and even during a race (to a degree) - it is something to keep in mind. Lastly, the car likes higher gears vs lower for maximizing pace, albeit it makes it harder to drive as the braking must be spot on (vs slowing the car down with engine braking). Cheers!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
Gasoline_Farts

Quote:
Thx for the tip, i have a VRS membership and i like it as it offers much more value added info vs just set ups.

In any case, they have changed thr Caddy a bit: made it a wee bit slower and changed its diff set up for the better permitting it to rotate nicely off throttle. It can still feel a bit twitchy as the # of clutches is low, but this makes it pretty responsive.

Imo it provides good traction and balance feedback but it is still a fast car and requires some practice to "get it" in terms of what it does well vs not. And of course weather will play a big role here as well. The car will feel very differently with track temps of say 82F vs 115F and given the series uses dynamic weather week to week and even during a race (to a degree) - it is something to keep in mind. Lastly, the car likes higher gears vs lower for maximizing pace, albeit it makes it harder to drive as the braking must be spot on (vs slowing the car down with engine braking). Cheers!
Took it for a spin last night, completely different from how i remember. Feels fantastic and i see what you mean about PTM Race

I've never enjoyed Watkins, but I noticed that next week is the Nordschleife! Time to start practicing.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Took it for a spin last night, completely different from how i remember. Feels fantastic and i see what you mean about PTM Race

I've never enjoyed Watkins, but I noticed that next week is the Nordschleife! Time to start practicing.
Glad you like it! I love it at the Glen but it can be a wee bit tricky staying in higher gears...You'll love it at the Ring for sure. It is bags of fun!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Homestead will be my winter home track and summer will be NJ Motorsports
Well, id say this is a perfect set up indeed
Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #26
Gasoline_Farts

Quote:
Glad you like it! I love it at the Glen but it can be a wee bit tricky staying in higher gears...You'll love it at the Ring for sure. It is bags of fun!
It’s definitely new ground, I’ve always had high revving low displacement cars, it’s hard not to rev it to redline.