Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
VJChevelle67
The Beast

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro Convertible
Smile New vs used

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
This is why I almost never buy brand new cars, only 2 so far my entire life that were such good deals, that it made financial sense vs. used vehicles w/ mileage at cheaper prices.

In the case of my Super Bee, I bought it around $14k cheaper than it was new, it was 1 year old with only 4,500 miles. If having a brand new car is worth the extra cash to you, then fine, but I'd rather let someone else take the initial depreciation.
My wife and I wanted new for a few reasons we keep our cars we have owned for a very long time, we wanted our SS to be only driven by us no other ass lol or asses besides our have driven her other the the few that moved her on the lot or show room. This way we know she was taken car of and we had the money to spend. And the interest rates where so little it made more sense to buy new at that time. . Just our thought. Enjoy your Camaros no matter how and when we got them. Our other car we had for 36 years gave her up to get the Beast. She was a 67 Chevelle 2 door hard top. One day I will post some pics of her

Last edited by VJChevelle67; 07-24-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a few words
VJChevelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
I don't find that to be true at all. I bought my 2010 2SS 3.5 years ago for $25,500 with 14k miles. I traded it in 2 weeks ago with 25k miles and got $22k.
Always going to be exceptions, I wouldnt say buying used 5 years after a car came out and selling it would be a good sample for holding value. New guys are going to take big hits. Trucks seem to be the only thing that does hold value IMO. Maybe some crossovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
NADA has it valued even higher at $$38125
Wow, didnt expect that, so they are both out of touch with the market IMO. No offense but based on deals Ive seen no way Id pay that for your car and thats my favorite color!

That was clean trade in?

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #17
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Hate to break it to you but my local dealer is advertising almost 6K off new Camaro's. Now granted we don't know (and I don't think) that they are really knocking that much off but if they are that's a better case for a new one than a used one. Hell they have a used 2LT Fifty Convertible with super low miles on it for advertised 33K, and that was probably a 42K+ car brand new.

Like others have said, best bet will be private sale
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
RangerMan
"Camaro Style"

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 & 2018 ZL1
Yes, that was a clean trade in. Im not so sure if they are out of touch with the market. They both are very close. If the market is saturated, shouldn't KBB and NADA reflect that also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob56 View Post
Always going to be exceptions, I wouldnt say buying used 5 years after a car came out and selling it would be a good sample for holding value. New guys are going to take big hits. Trucks seem to be the only thing that does hold value IMO. Maybe some crossovers.

Wow, didnt expect that, so they are both out of touch with the market IMO. No offense but based on deals Ive seen no way Id pay that for your car and thats my favorite color!

That was clean trade in?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
NADA has it valued even higher at $$38125
That's NADA retail value. Dealers aren't going to pay retail for a trade.

Nada clean trade in is $35,750. NADA Loan value is $32,575

Market availability does come into play though. If there are 10+ used 2SS in the dealer's market area priced at $34k-36k, the dealer will likely value the trade for as low as possible to remain competitive with the market.

$28k is definitely a low ball offer though.
Attached Images

Last edited by GearheadSS; 07-24-2018 at 01:20 PM.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
RangerMan
"Camaro Style"

Yea, thats my point. He definitely gave a lowball offer. If he had offered the $35750 then MAYBE we could of negotiated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post

Market availability does come into play though. If there are 10+ used 2SS in the dealer's market area priced at $34k-36k, the dealer will likely value the trade for as low as possible to remain competitive with the market.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #21
RangerMan
"Camaro Style"

Thanks for the info!! Gives me a better insight of the value of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post

Old 07-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #22
PNYKLR2

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Convertible
The dealer is some what correct. Trust me when I say every dealer will do whatever they can to sell you a car. Of course they will try to make profit but they don't make anything if they don't sell.

I've been in the business for over 15+ years.

I can buy a 2017 1SS all day long in the mid 20's. I can buy a 2SS all day long in a convertible for high 20's to low 30's.

Why as a dealer would I give you $37,500 for a vehicle I can't even retail for that price???? I'm not going to. Nada and KBB are simply guides based off a generalized market. They don't reflect auction sales or local markets. All of their numbers also reflect you buying a vehicle at full MSRP. (Example. Yah I'll give you $35,000 full trade for yours but your going to pay full price for mine.)

You also can't expect a dealer to give you top dollar for your trade and make zero on the new vehicle either. You normally get one or the other. Don't talk to a dealer about your trade or the selling price. It's all a numbers game.

The best way to negotiate your deal is to give them a dollar amount.

Dealer sir I will pay you $$$$$ for the transaction. How you get there I don't care. This is what I will give you.

That's how you should work your deal.

Several factors come into play.

Anything I can help you with let me know and I'll answer questions as best as possible.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #23
RangerMan
"Camaro Style"

It was the fact that he told me that their computer was down and he couldn't get an accurate value but he then quoted me $28000 5 seconds later lol. How did you do that with the computer down. I knew then that he was giving me the run around and not being fair. $35000 would of been a lot better appraisal and we could of talked more. And I did make him an offer for the ZL1, and of course he stated they couldn't come down. Thank you for the insight! I'm pretty much done negotiating that car, but if i have any questions I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYKLR2 View Post
The dealer is some what correct. Trust me when I say every dealer will do whatever they can to sell you a car. Of course they will try to make profit but they don't make anything if they don't sell.

I've been in the business for over 15+ years.

I can buy a 2017 1SS all day long in the mid 20's. I can buy a 2SS all day long in a convertible for high 20's to low 30's.

Why as a dealer would I give you $37,500 for a vehicle I can't even retail for that price???? I'm not going to. Nada and KBB are simply guides based off a generalized market. They don't reflect auction sales or local markets. All of their numbers also reflect you buying a vehicle at full MSRP. (Example. Yah I'll give you $35,000 full trade for yours but your going to pay full price for mine.)

You also can't expect a dealer to give you top dollar for your trade and make zero on the new vehicle either. You normally get one or the other. Don't talk to a dealer about your trade or the selling price. It's all a numbers game.

The best way to negotiate your deal is to give them a dollar amount.

Dealer sir I will pay you $$$$$ for the transaction. How you get there I don't care. This is what I will give you.

That's how you should work your deal.

Several factors come into play.

Anything I can help you with let me know and I'll answer questions as best as possible.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #24
PNYKLR2

It depends on the dealer. Are they a volume store or a high price gross? Volume dealers will sell anything as long at they make around $500. But they sell 100+ cars a month so that's how they make their money. Other dealers won't even blink unless they are making a min. of $1,500. Some of them as high as $2-$3,000 or more. Dealers have a large over head with a slim profit margin.

Think of it this way $200,000 a month in salaries and expenses. (Franchise costs, service department, parts, labor, power bill, etc....) If they make only $500 a car and only sell 30 vehicles a month thats only $15,000. They would have a net of -$185,000 and go bankrupt almost immediately. So they have to sell 150+ cars a month at high volume store to stay afloat. But a dealer who makes $3,000 per car only needs to sell 67 cars. These are all crazy numbers but should give you an idea of why things are what they are.

These places aren't like McDonalds. That $1.00 large drink cost them $.5 to make. HUGE profit margin of 95%! But nobody haggles McDonalds for a discount.

The dealership vehicle cost on a MSRP vehicle of $30,000 lets say is $26,850. That gives them $3,150 to play with. That's a profit margin of 10.5% and the industry average is more like 6%.

I can't tell you what a fair profit is to make a sale because that's different for everyone. Some people hear that a dealer made $500 off them and they flip out and think its a ton of money. Other people hear the dealer made $1,500 and they don't bat an eye.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #25
PNYKLR2

Feel blessed man! You got a nice vehicle and you're in a position in which you can afford to go for a ZL1. Not a lot of people can pull that off. You'll find the one you want at a price that you feel is fair. It took me almost a year to pull the trigger on my 17' 1SS because I set a dollar amount in my mind and until I got it I didn't settle.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #26
RangerMan
"Camaro Style"

Thanks! I am definitely waiting for that time when I feel that the price is fair. Another 6 months to a year will be a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYKLR2 View Post
Feel blessed man! You got a nice vehicle and you're in a position in which you can afford to go for a ZL1. Not a lot of people can pull that off. You'll find the one you want at a price that you feel is fair. It took me almost a year to pull the trigger on my 17' 1SS because I set a dollar amount in my mind and until I got it I didn't settle.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #27
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Hate to say it but resale value will continue to go down GM vehicles in general have been crappy for the past 7-10 years.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #28
PNYKLR2

That is correct, the value of your trade is never worth more than it is today. But doesn't mean he couldn't find a pre-owned 18-19 ZL1 next year and save $20,000. His trade will drop but not as much as the pre-owned ZL1 with 5-10k miles on it.