Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-26-2018, 11:22 PM   #15
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
^^^This. Also, when you call your insurance company, make sure they record the "interview". When the other company calls you, direct them to call your agent, refuse to answer their questions regarding to the accident, and tell them you already answered the questions with your insurance agent. This keeps your side of the story straight.
That is very good advice and exactly what I do..... I'm an independent appraiser for auto, heavy equipment, motorcycle, and other items covered by insurance policies. I handle claims for about 30 different ins companies and the government, so I see my fair share of differences in policies.

Honestly, the people that demand, threaten to sue, etc don't end up anywhere but on the bad side of the person that can help them the most. For instance, if a policy allows used & a/m parts to be utilized on the repair, most are going to write it that way for the guy demanding whats going to happen. Pointing out damage is one thing, asking about the repairs, hidden damage, and saying "it's an unfortunate situation, but I just want the car how it was before the loss" is totally different. It's at the appraiser/adjusters discretion to utilize all parts available unless there is a law against it, so you want them on your side. I'm not sure on CA parts laws, but some states have oem parts laws (IN being one). The exhaust would be a full replacement item, but you could opt to take the money and buy something different if you wanted. They owe for whats on the vehicle at the time of the loss. A new gm part would be serviced by the dealer for tsb issues and would need to have the problem prior to the tsb being performed. That is how it happens here in IL. An insurance company would argue they shouldn't pay for a manufacturers issue or a rental vehicle while it's serviced for tsb items.

We appreciate the nice people because we deal with alot of bad ones in this business. I mean who is happy about their car getting damaged

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #16
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Perhaps I can help. I'm in N. Cal and have had two new vehicles "totaled" this year.

The first was my wife getting in a fight with a tree with our 4Runner...in a parking lot - long story. Short story was went to "preferred" shop and I authorized a tear down. I got worried when the preferred shop immediately stuck thier hand in my pocket for a pre-existing pencil eraser sized blemish on a part they were going to have to fix anyway. Then when asking simple questions I got the "we adjust for Safeco so this is the way it is - or you can tow it to your driveway and let it sit" - total BS. Anyway I took an ASE guy with me at the "tear down" - only partial and it had gone from an impossibly low 8k to 18k and the teardown was not complete. The proposed in the supplement to patch 10 wires from the harness with pigtails. I balked. Way outside the Toyota wiring harness repair manual (which I have). I pulled it and sent it to Berkeley Toyota - 27k +++ open ended. Insurance went out with a supervisor and totaled it in the spot - took a month.

Second was a month ago. My brand new 2018 Outback w/1,000 miles on it -guy in pickup did not see me and swung a 25 mph or so left into me as I was going straight. All the airbags went off and major damage. Still had to do a tear down. Totaled. I went through my insurance as I have the "new car replacement" rider. That part is done and I have the check. He admitted full fault and was totally a stand-up dude. Anyway, that's why I'm in the market for a Camaro now and have one on order arriving this week or next.

Anyway - YOU choose where the vehicle get's repaired - not the insurance. ALL the body shops have insurance rates that work. It's part of that end of the business. You don't worry about that - not for a second - there are regulations in California that set body shop and insurance rates and they apply to the dealers as well. Not your concern.

Replacement parts are different. Particularly "crash parts". Any mechanical would be OEM. The laws changed in California on "crash parts" and they require the insurance company to certify they are equal to or better than OEM. My own insurance is Safeco and they weasel around the language and try to put the certification on others. Be vigilant. http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0250-ins...ment-parts.cfm has some info.

The insurance companies ignore this law - be prepared for it, however bumper covers are excluded from "crash parts" so you might simply have to pony up the difference if you want a new OEM one. Otherwise they will get one from "sally's bumper covers" of some such outfit.

Check the yelps and such of your local dealers. Find the highest rated one. Call them and ask who they use for collision center work if they do not have an internal collision center. GOOD Dealers do not want things coming back on them, ever. Then check the body shop's reviews (I know this is subjective - but you will get a feel for it).

Choose wisely. Your damage down not look too bad but the tail-light and rear quarter were impacted. I can see the deflection. A good body shop will ensure you are 100% whole and that's what you impress upon them - as mentioned I think by others - stay the hell away from "insurance preferred" body shops.

I'm guessing that's close to 9k in work including exhaust. It is more than you think. California does not really do diminished value. There is a kinda-sorta , but it does not really work from my research.
matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:45 AM   #17
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Wow, great info, thanks Matt
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 AM   #18
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Rear bumper cover, new exhaust GM only sells it as one solid piece, check the tail lights and trunk lid make sure no damage as well. What is under the bumper is another question you and they will not know until the rear bumper cover is off the car.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
You are entitled to obtain reimbursement for damages, even if you decide not to repair the vehicle. For example, you SHOULD receive damage reimbursement for the exhaust damage. The damage may be worth putting up with and you get to keep the difference. This happened to me when I was hit. I got a $1,200 check (you can negotiate with he insurance company. You do not have to accept their offer), went to a shop to get clear coat buffed, and used a paintless dent removal place to pop the dent. I received compensation for a full sanding and paintjob. Granted it was not repaired to 100%, I made $900 at the end of the day and nobody would be able to tell I was ever involved in an accident.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCamaro6 View Post
That is very good advice and exactly what I do..... I'm an independent appraiser for auto, heavy equipment, motorcycle, and other items covered by insurance policies. I handle claims for about 30 different ins companies and the government, so I see my fair share of differences in policies.

Honestly, the people that demand, threaten to sue, etc don't end up anywhere but on the bad side of the person that can help them the most. For instance, if a policy allows used & a/m parts to be utilized on the repair, most are going to write it that way for the guy demanding whats going to happen. Pointing out damage is one thing, asking about the repairs, hidden damage, and saying "it's an unfortunate situation, but I just want the car how it was before the loss" is totally different. It's at the appraiser/adjusters discretion to utilize all parts available unless there is a law against it, so you want them on your side. I'm not sure on CA parts laws, but some states have oem parts laws (IN being one). The exhaust would be a full replacement item, but you could opt to take the money and buy something different if you wanted. They owe for whats on the vehicle at the time of the loss. A new gm part would be serviced by the dealer for tsb issues and would need to have the problem prior to the tsb being performed. That is how it happens here in IL. An insurance company would argue they shouldn't pay for a manufacturers issue or a rental vehicle while it's serviced for tsb items.

We appreciate the nice people because we deal with alot of bad ones in this business. I mean who is happy about their car getting damaged
Good info....So what would be your advice to the OP when the adjuster says they are using aftermarket parts or used on his Camaro? You seem like a decent adjuster but lets face it.. alot are not nice about it. Just curious because I for one would not want to put an aftermarket or used bumper on my Camaro?
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #21
clrkmr

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Thanks for the info, the adjuster still has not called me. I will keep everyone updated.
clrkmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #22
Herewego

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
Good info....So what would be your advice to the OP when the adjuster says they are using aftermarket parts or used on his Camaro? You seem like a decent adjuster but lets face it.. alot are not nice about it. Just curious because I for one would not want to put an aftermarket or used bumper on my Camaro?
Why not? The one that was damaged was “used”. If you want new OEM, just be prepared to pay the price difference especially if trying to have someone else’s insurance pay for it. Most of the time you are entitled to like kind and quality, but you may have more influence with your own company since you are a premium paying customer. I would be ok with used OEM over aftermarket as long as it is of equal or better condition. We all love our cars, but in reality they are just pieces of property, not family members.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #23
danbrew

Drives: 18 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
Why not? The one that was damaged was “used”. If you want new OEM, just be prepared to pay the price difference especially if trying to have someone else’s insurance pay for it. Most of the time you are entitled to like kind and quality, but you may have more influence with your own company since you are a premium paying customer. I would be ok with used OEM over aftermarket as long as it is of equal or better condition. We all love our cars, but in reality they are just pieces of property, not family members.

Good point - I guess the issue would be assigning a value to "used". How old was your used car? A week? Three years? I suppose all that would make a difference to me. I can't envision a situation in which I would not want to have my insurance company make me whole - gotta believe they are gonna treat me better than the other guy's insurance company.
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #24
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrkmr View Post
Thanks for the info, the adjuster still has not called me. I will keep everyone updated.
Remember you can simply go thru your own insurance and they will go get the money and your deductible from the other insurance. This is my prefered way.

This way your insurance will happily make you whole in terms of repairs (as they get back the money) and the other insurance really has limited recourse as it goes to subrogation - and you are out of the picture.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #25
FH212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
Full disclosure I have a close friend that owns a body shop so I am familiar with what happens with used parts. Some come in in great shape, but lots more dont. He has to on a weekly basis reject the used parts and supplement for new. Example; he gets a used door. Door has 3 dings in it and is a different color. Now not only does he have labor of sanding door down but now you have labor and a bit of Bondo to fix dings. Before the accident did you have bondo in that door? I would not want that personally. So That is my point about used VS. new. If its a perfect piece? Sure no problem with used. But from what I have seen in my area, that is a rare case example. Most of the time the part needs work.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
FH212

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Remember you can simply go thru your own insurance and they will go get the money and your deductible from the other insurance. This is my prefered way.

This way your insurance will happily make you whole in terms of repairs (as they get back the money) and the other insurance really has limited recourse as it goes to subrogation - and you are out of the picture.
Thats good to know honestly. My question would be I wonder if your insurance company puts it on your "insurance record" and punishes you for something that was not your fault?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #27
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
Thats good to know honestly. My question would be I wonder if your insurance company puts it on your "insurance record" and punishes you for something that was not your fault?
Absolutely not. Not in California anyway. I got the letter from my insurance company on recent total that I was 0% at fault and the other driver was 100% at fault.

This is an important letter to get. It's another reason why to use your own insurance to handle the claim. In my recent accident since the other guy admitted complete fault and the other insurance conceded liability, my insurance waived my deductible - that they otherwise would have had to recover in subrogation.

Even if you don;t initially get your deductible waived your own insurance company is required by law to demand and recover from the at fault party's insurance.

It's not to late to have your insurance process the claim up until you contract with the body shop.

Not a real big deal. Sometime it just takes a month or two. Over the years it's happened. I've had a fridge pop loose from a truck and hit my car on the freeway and a work parking lot accident where someone hit my car and left a note. Both of those were some time ago - but in both cases my insurance got my deductible back within say 8 weeks.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #28
FH212

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Absolutely not. Not in California anyway. I got the letter from my insurance company on recent total that I was 0% at fault and the other driver was 100% at fault.

This is an important letter to get. It's another reason why to use your own insurance to handle the claim. In my recent accident since the other guy admitted complete fault and the other insurance conceded liability, my insurance waived my deductible - that they otherwise would have had to recover in subrogation.

Even if you don;t initially get your deductible waived your own insurance company is required by law to demand and recover from the at fault party's insurance.

It's not to late to have your insurance process the claim up until you contract with the body shop.

Not a real big deal. Sometime it just takes a month or two. Over the years it's happened. I've had a fridge pop loose from a truck and hit my car on the freeway and a work parking lot accident where someone hit my car and left a note. Both of those were some time ago - but in both cases my insurance got my deductible back within say 8 weeks.
Great info thanks!