AWE Tuning

Old 03-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I have a similar question in the Ask Al queue:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516314

My guess is that it's more about how GM expects the cars to be driven rather than the car itself. I understand the comment about the aero, suspension, etc. playing a role in keeping the ZL1 1LE in the throttle a little longer, but I can't imagine that difference being significant. If that were the case, GM would probably need to have different oil recommendations for each road course too because the difference between track layouts would be far more significant in terms of braking vs acceleration time.
Agree with you 100% here... but, the Track Preparation guide has the same oil recommendations for the ZL1 car.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
Agree with you 100% here... but, the Track Preparation guide has the same oil recommendations for the ZL1 car.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf

The slight difference is...they are saying 15w50 -only- for ZL1 1LE, and most likely they are assuming the 1LE variant will be a road course use car running harder/longer. (I'd rather they come back with a year-round 5w40 or 0w40 like i had in the ViperGT or GT3RS. Never a issue with cooling, oil temps nor failure). In-fact just swapped back to 5w30 yesterday until the next track event. (Pennzoil UltraPlatinum, good stuff)

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I understand the comment about the aero, suspension, etc. playing a role in keeping the ZL1 1LE in the throttle a little longer, but I can't imagine that difference being significant. If that were the case, GM would probably need to have different oil recommendations for each road course too because the difference between track layouts would be far more significant in terms of braking vs acceleration time.
That is not how GM does oil specs. The specs are done to cover "likely to be encountered worst case scenarios". So the track oil recommendation is probably determined by a driver pushing a car on a challenging track at something like 85F.

What it means is that if you are not pushing as hard or running on a cooler day or a less demanding track you will have more headroom (i.e. will be taxing the oil and cooling packages less).

I've tracked a C7 Z51 with 5W30 oil for 3 years, and that car would go to 300F oil temperatures in the blink of an eye, and had to be temperature managed (shifting ~1,000RPM below redline) to prevent hitting the engine protection ("limp") limits.

I'm doing 5W40 in the SS 1lE, because I want to be able to push more (closer to redline) and want a little bit more headroom, and even less warranty questioning possibilities.

My guess is the GM still needs to complete "likely worst case scenarios" this summer on the ZR1/ZL1-1LE before adjusting recommended track oil down to 0W40.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #19
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
That is not how GM does oil specs. The specs are done to cover "likely to be encountered worst case scenarios". So the track oil recommendation is probably determined by a driver pushing a car on a challenging track at something like 85F.

What it means is that if you are not pushing as hard or running on a cooler day or a less demanding track you will have more headroom (i.e. will be taxing the oil and cooling packages less).

I've tracked a C7 Z51 with 5W30 oil for 3 years, and that car would go to 300F oil temperatures in the blink of an eye, and had to be temperature managed (shifting ~1,000RPM below redline) to prevent hitting the engine protection ("limp") limits.

I'm doing 5W40 in the SS 1lE, because I want to be able to push more (closer to redline) and want a little bit more headroom, and even less warranty questioning possibilities.
Perhaps I oversimplified my post. I didn't mean to imply engineers didn't take an engineering approach.

I don't disagree with what you've stated here, and "Likely worst case scenarios" seems like a good way to put it. I'm just skeptical about the theory of the ZL1 and ZL1/1LE having different oil specs due to the 1LE being slightly more track capable. Mechanically, the worst case scenarios for both cars should still be very similar. The most significant difference is much more likely to be the owners and where/how hard they drive.

I've also considered that maybe there is difference in the emissions systems which would make the reason for different oil recommendation obvious, but I'm not aware of any such difference.

I think this question is a great question for Ask Al, but this process is moving so slowly I'm starting to lose interest. The Corvette forum's Ask Tadge seems to move at a much better pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
My guess is the GM still needs to complete "likely worst case scenarios" this summer on the ZR1/ZL1-1LE before adjusting recommended track oil down to 0W40.
I too suspect we'll see this change in their recommendation.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote