Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
You need to adjust your side mirrors outward, which is the proper way. If you can see the rear corners of your car they are too far in.

With properly adjusted mirrors, you can watch a car go from the rearview, to the sideview, to your peripheral vision seamlessly.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I will try re-adjusting the mirrors. I usually have had 4 door cars and can see through the rear doors glass that blind spot so it could be I need to get used to using just the mirrors after i adjust them. My C4 is a 2 door but has huge rear window glass and it is easy to see all around and behind.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Properly adjusted seat and Mirrors. As mentioned about the mirrors, rear view, side view, peripheral.

Consider this.
Its like driving a big Van truck. You have giant blind spots. Note how truckers use their mirrors while driving. Looking right, front, left, and keeping track of traffic as mentioned.
And
when backing into a garage or parking stall, the same thing, use your mirrors.

The blind spot detectors work great, as well as the back up camera. But you need to use your mirrors. After a while this becomes second nature.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Don't feel bad. Most don't adjust their mirrors correctly. As repeated above many times, adjust them more outward.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #19
Amble

Drives: 2017 Arctic Blue 2SS
I traded in a pickup truck for my 2014 Camaro. The visibility difference to me at the time was astounding. After one near miss like you mentioned, I looked up mirror adjustment and never had a problem in the next 3 years of ownership.

Now with my 2017 Camaro, I have the blind spot indicators but I have never been in a position where I have noticed them on and there been a car that I haven't seen.

The inside line of the next lane ends on the inside corner of my side view mirrors and I have very little overlap between side view and rear view mirrors, none of my fender is visible from my normal driving position. This can be disorienting at first, but doesn't take long to adjust. Maybe 2 days or so.

Usually in threads like this, someone is quick to post the infographic of proper mirror adjustment.
Amble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #20
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
GM really screwed up not making the blind spot monitoring standard on ALL models, not just the 2SS. I don't know what I'd do without it. Like you said you can't see anything if you turn your head because of the giant b and c pillars plus small window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #21
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
This is it. Adjust your mirrors quite a bit out and use the rear view more. Cars should go from your pirepheral to the side mirror to the rear view mirror to the other side to your pirepheral without any gaps. Works fine in mine.

Put your head almost against your driver’s window, adjust the driver mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear fender. Put your head in the center of the car, over the console, and adjust the passenger mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear passenger fender. Sit normally in the driver seat and adjust the rear view mirror to be straight back.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get it down you’ll never want to go back.
Agreed with all the answers saying your mirrors are wrong. Proper driving does not involve turning your head 90-degrees or more.

Rear mirror, center and then move slightly toward driver side of rear window. Side mirrors, adjust outward until there is no overlap between rear view mirror from 20-30 ft away. On the road,, when done correctly, you should notice that when a vehicle starts to leave your rear view mirror (passing you), that they begin appearing in your side view mirror. And when they leave your side view mirror (still passing you), they are now visible along side your car without the need to turn your head over your shoulder. The rear quarter windows are pointless because the seats do not allow you to position yourself far enough back to require them.

If you have a 2SS, you'll notice that the auto-down mirror function actually pulls the mirror in slightly and tilts it down for curb checks. If you need to see straight down the side of your car, then you can lean your head a little toward the mirror and you'll just barely see the edge of the rear wheel arches.

Prior to backup cameras, the appropriate tilt of side view mirrors was to set the bottom edge of the mirror at the same height as the back/lower edge of your car, so you would know that when a curb started disappearing from the mirror it was going under your bumper. Now with the cameras and auto-down features, you can set the mirror tilt to a more head oriented position based on your desired seating position.

And even in a bunker, blind-spot monitoring is not required. It is only a popular feature because so many people don't know how to drive safely. A lot of people out there actually think the old 10 & 2 thing is still true, but it's not. When both hands are on the wheel, they should not be above 9 & 3. One reason is because of arm injuries from airbags and cab-forward windshield designs during a crash. The other reason is that you are limiting your range of control before you must let go of the wheel to move your hands. The best position is actually 730 & 430, where you can rotate a single hand 270-degrees without releasing your fingers from the wheel. Every effort should be made to retrain your brain to stop placing both arms over the top of the wheel and blocking your view of the instrument panel without the need to move your hands.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #22
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Look out the side window you intend to change lanes into. Ensure there are no cars directly next to you, or slightly ahead. Let the bald eagles fly that you chose Camaro for and move into the spot you just ensured is open. No mirrors needed. No looking back needed.

Jokes aside (although I kinda DO do that).....I’m old school and learned to adjust my mirrors so that you can just barrrrrrely see your fender in it still. Gives a good visual reference point. I’ll have to try the “new” or “correct” method others and that article illustrate. I predict I will have a hard time growing accustomed to it.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #23
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
From what I read just buy a Mustang! Those cars are perfect!!
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #24
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
This is it. Adjust your mirrors quite a bit out and use the rear view more. Cars should go from your pirepheral to the side mirror to the rear view mirror to the other side to your pirepheral without any gaps. Works fine in mine.

Put your head almost against your driver’s window, adjust the driver mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear fender. Put your head in the center of the car, over the console, and adjust the passenger mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear passenger fender. Sit normally in the driver seat and adjust the rear view mirror to be straight back.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get it down you’ll never want to go back.
I've been doing exactly this for the past 20 years at least. It is now second nature.

OP... You have a 2LT with RS...does that include the Side Blind Zone Indicator in the sideview mirrors?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #25
silstream

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
You can also move your head/body forwards to increase the range of visibility from the side mirrors. I've learnt to physically lean forwards while looking in the side mirrors to increase the range of coverage. Even with correctly positioned mirrors, this is a very quick move that's an easy habit to adopt but gives me even more assurance that I've not missed anything...

As others have said, whatever method you adopt, make sure you test it thoroughly so when a car passes you (or you pass them but either way do it slowly) you're able to track them all the way and not lose them for a second...

Hope this helps,
Pete.
silstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #26
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I initially wanted the 2SS for the electronic assistance as the complaints about the Camaro's visibility wasn't flattering. Even the well-known publications were outright critical of it.

The 2SS had these features, so that was what I was going to get in the name of safety. The other features weren't that important.

Then I test drove the 1SS and bought it without a second thought. I saw absolutely no need for any blind spot assistance. The windows and mirrors had all the important points covered. And to top that off, my wallet secretly thanked me on the way home.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #27
16CamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS (2SS)
I'll be the sucker to suggest it, blind spot mirrors. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...=348DXMGMCA0XA

If you can swallow your pride and handle the aesthetics hit.
16CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #28
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
Floor it just to make sure the area is clear
60% of the time, it works every time...
Lol! Best advice.