Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Ricer is putting on one that actually slows a car down and serves no purpose other than looks. The ZL1 1LEs is neither. As for putting it on other cars, only if it serves an actual performance function.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Then I guess the one on the SS or LT is ricer with that line of thinking?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Then I guess the one on the SS or LT is ricer with that line of thinking?
They are called spoilers. You will not find anyone educated call them "wings". Spoilers have a very different function.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
The 5th gen high wing looked like total ebay garage though. Just looks like an after thought that doesn't flow with the body lines at all.Attachment 910482
And the ZL1/1LE rear spoiler doesn't also look like an after thought?

Yeah, we get it. The ZL1 is really fast, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the ZL1/1LE rear spoiler looks good...or better than that 5th gen spoiler.

If you want talk about what "flows" into the design, the ZL1/1LE rear spoiler is NOT one of them.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #18
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Didn't like it then, still don't like it now.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
motorhead

Quote:
They are called spoilers. You will not find anyone educated call them "wings". Spoilers have a very different function.

Not sure what that has to do with my question ,but okay suit yourself. By the way. GM themselves coined the term high wing spoiler. They used both words to discribe the one on the 5th gen, so are they educated or dumb?
Old 12-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
And the ZL1/1LE rear spoiler doesn't also look like an after thought?

Yeah, we get it. The ZL1 is really fast, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the ZL1/1LE rear spoiler looks good...or better than that 5th gen spoiler.

If you want talk about what "flows" into the design, the ZL1/1LE rear spoiler is NOT one of them.
That is the entire point of my thread. In a flash, just because its funtional and on the best car now everyone wants one. It still has the same look as high mount spoilers (not allowed to say wing. It makes you dumb) from other years that people made fun of for putting on a camaro. This stuff cracks me up.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #21
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Hahaha true I remember all those memes of kids sitting the wings like they were a dinner table..I still don't like them..
Old 12-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #22
SuperSound

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with my question ,but okay suit yourself. By the way. GM themselves coined the term high wing spoiler. They used both words to discribe the one on the 5th gen, so are they educated or dumb?
Not sure where you saw GM press statement say spoiler, but I wouldn't put it past marketing people to not know the difference either. But here's what I found:

"Carbon fiber rear wing, specific air deflectors and dive planes on the front fascia that produce grip-generating downforce to help the car stick harder and drive faster in turns"

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev...-zl1/2018.html

"Exposed weave carbon fiber rear wing adds up to 300 lb. of downforce"

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-sports-car/1le-packages

And just for everyone's education:

"Here's the crux of the issue: there is a HUGE difference between a "spoiler" and an "airfoil" or wing. They have different shapes and do different things.

An automotive airfoil is shaped like an upside-down airplane wing — it deflects airflow upward to generate down-force on the rear of the vehicle.

Let me repeat it so it's clear: airfoils add drag, reducing your top speed and top-end acceleration. But at high speeds, they push the car down and add traction so you can turn faster. This is a trade-off.

AIRFOILS ARE NOT SPOILERS AND SPOILERS ARE NOT AIRFOILS. Ok? Don't confuse the two, or you will look dumb on the internet.

So what the heck is a spoiler? It's an obstruction to localized airflow that improves the overall airflow around a vehicle. Basically you're adding a barrier to a region of undesirable air behavior so the air will flow somewhere else."

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/wings-...ong-1665312667

But back to your original question. Yes it is funny if people are suddenly wanting a ZL1 1LE wing on their Camaro which they don't track, or they don't track around a course where it will generate the downforce because they never reach the speeds needed.

I think some people are wanting to see some of the items like the aero bits of the ZL1 1LE on a SS 1LE. Which isn't quite the same as some guy with a bone stock LGX wanting it to be "cool". Which is where I think we both agree.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #23
gosutag
Left Lane Enforcer

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE.
Quote:

Wings are elevated above the trunk. Spoilers flow off the trunk. Wings provide significant downforce on the wheels. Spoilers more specifically allow for a pocket of non-moving air to allow for more free-flowing air movement over the car.

The SS 1LE has a spoiler stock. The SS has a wing stock. The ZL1 1LE has a wing, ZL1 has a wing and so on.
1994 Evo II

Previous Cars:
2017 Camaro SS
2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ
gosutag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #24
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosutag View Post
Wings are elevated above the trunk. Spoilers flow off the trunk. Wings provide significant downforce on the wheels. Spoilers more specifically allow for a pocket of non-moving air to allow for more free-flowing air movement over the car.

The SS 1LE has a spoiler stock. The SS has a wing stock. The ZL1 1LE has a wing, ZL1 has a wing and so on.
Correct on the first part, but the SS has a stanchion spoiler. You will find plenty of threads referencing it here. Remember the SS spoiler was designed to use airflow from the reverse mohawk on the coupe roofline and hood channels. It does improve the airflow over the car, not for the purpose of downforce alone like a wing.

"A more expressive take on the taillamps blends the horizontal aesthetic of the first generation with a dual-element theme and aggressive tapers for a contemporary appearance. Additionally, SS models have a unique rear spoiler."

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html

Old 12-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #25
motorhead

Quote:
Correct on the first part, but the SS has a stanchion spoiler. You will find plenty of threads referencing it here. Remember the SS spoiler was designed to use airflow from the reverse mohawk on the coupe roofline and hood channels. It does improve the airflow over the car, not for the purpose of downforce alone like a wing.

"A more expressive take on the taillamps blends the horizontal aesthetic of the first generation with a dual-element theme and aggressive tapers for a contemporary appearance. Additionally, SS models have a unique rear spoiler."

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...16-camaro.html
This was the answer I was looking for before we got sidetrack on the proper name.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
SuperSound

Quote:
This was the answer I was looking for before we got sidetrack on the proper name.
Lol my bad. I'm with you man. Someone educated me on this subject a few years back. Was just trying to help others.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #27
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
No but, the 1Le is what makes the wing cool though. That is my entire point.
As cool as the ZL1 1LE is, nothing, not even the 1LE, is cool enough to sport that ugly eye-sore of a wing spoiler
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #28
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
That gen 5 spoiler looks like trash, and the cars were slow on track. Apple meet orange.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote