#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
6th gear is changed, like you said, and the overall diameter of the wheel/tire package is a bit smaller...so the effective ratio is changed. Otherwise, the rear end, and gears 1-5 are the same as ZL1 M6.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
True, doesn't mean you have to be happy about it though

Just looked it up. Damn that's a good price! I'm actually kinda glad the lower run groups are sold out. Saves me the heartache of trying to swing another day in this year!

If the calendar works out I'll definitely try and swing down to hang out though.
I know, Carolinas PCA's price is damn good... probably why they sell out so fast! Sounds Good.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
Provoste

I noticed one interesting detail change from the development mules I saw at NCM back in late April. On all the development cars, “Camaro” was embossed on all the wheels right above the valve stem hole. Looks like this detail never made it to production.. I wonder why. Here are pictures.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
DC2NERD

Drives: 17 SS 1LE and 95 Integra Track Rat
Oh man now I'm extra excited to check you guys out at VIR, I'll be on track there thursday this week.

So whats in the ZL1? 2:02?
DC2NERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2NERD View Post
Oh man now I'm extra excited to check you guys out at VIR, I'll be on track there thursday this week.

So whats in the ZL1? 2:02?
ZL1 will land in the 1:5x’s. For sure. I’m targeting 2:04-2:05 on RE71R’s my SS 1LE. I’m hoping to break the 2:00 barrier in my car on P-Zero take-off slicks. Hoping weather cooperates! Good luck on Thursday, post some vids after!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
DC2NERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
ZL1 will land in the 1:5x’s. For sure. I’m targeting 2:04-2:05 on RE71R’s my SS 1LE. I’m hoping to break the 2:00 barrier in my car on P-Zero take-off slicks. Hoping weather cooperates! Good luck on Thursday, post some vids after!
You going to put a set of DTC60s in the ZL1 as well? I know from experience you'll murder the stock pads even in a SS 1LE at VIR. Coming down from 145+ twice a lap takes it's toll in a heavy car.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
Provoste

Quote:
You going to put a set of DTC60s in the ZL1 as well? I know from experience you'll murder the stock pads even in a SS 1LE at VIR. Coming down from 145+ twice a lap takes it's toll in a heavy car.
I have an extra set of DTC 60’s I’m taking, but the ZL1 takes a different pad than our cars (due to 20mm increase in swept area). Our pads fit, but you aren’t taking advantage of the 20mm rotor increase, and Hawk assures me they are in final testing for a ZL1 race pad, but likely won’t be avail until winter. We’ll plan to run the ZL1 with stock pads, but I’ll have SS 1LE DTC 60’s there as backup. Here’s a pic of the pad difference.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 PM   #21
DC2NERD

Quote:
I have an extra set of DTC 60’s I’m taking, but the ZL1 takes a different pad than our cars (due to 20mm increase in swept area). Our pads fit, but you aren’t taking advantage of the 20mm rotor increase, and Hawk assures me they are in final testing for a ZL1 race pad, but likely won’t be avail until winter. We’ll plan to run the ZL1 with stock pads, but I’ll have SS 1LE DTC 60’s there as backup. Here’s a pic of the pad difference.
Hopefully they hold better than the oem SS 1LE pads. Especially given it's significant speed and adhesion increase. Can't wait to check it out.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #22
Provoste

Quote:
Hopefully they hold better than the oem SS 1LE pads. Especially given it's significant speed and adhesion increase. Can't wait to check it out.
Me too!
Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #23
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Provoste can you compare rotor sizes and see if the Braking system on the SS 1LE is any smaller than the ZL1 1LE?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Provoste can you compare rotor sizes and see if the Braking system on the SS 1LE is any smaller than the ZL1 1LE?
It is, front rotors are 20mm larger on the ZL1 and pretty sure rear rotors are larger as well. The ZL1 calipers look similar to SS 1LE, but they also are larger with much larger pistons (ZL1 1LE brakes are the same as all ZL1's), front and rear rotors are also thicker. I know for a fact the front pads are a different part than SS 1LE, not 100% sure about the rear. I'll take a look this weekend.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #25
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
•The tires do not like sub 50f temps
Heh, the tires do not like sub 100F temps
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #26
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Congrats to your Dad! The ZL1 1LE looks amazing.

I have to admit, I was also excited to see that R53 in your driveway. Those MINI's are so much fun.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #27
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Congrats to your Dad! The ZL1 1LE looks amazing.

I have to admit, I was also excited to see that R53 in your driveway. Those MINI's are so much fun.
Thanks. Yes, R53's are something special. Mini (like all BMW IMO) has lost their way in the last few years. That car has been in the family since new! It was my daily for a while until I got something that could tow, my folks bought it from me and now its an extra car for them.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #28
Provoste

I thought this would be the best spot to give a quick update after taking both 1LE's to VIR this past weekend with my Dad, brother, and a good friend from Phoenix who flew in for the event.

First off- the ZL1 1LE is an absolute MONSTER. I've never driven a street car on track that feels like a race car... until now. The chassis, power, brakes, gearing & aero truly make it feel like a street legal GT4 racer. That being said, like a race car- to get the most from it... it requires a steady, confident, and committed driver. The body control is simply amazing. The tires are a bit of a mixed bag for me. The 3R's offer better grip than any other 100 treadwear trackday tire than I've ever driven (NT01/R888), however- I'm not a big fan of their breakaway characteristics- they are a bit too snappy and not elastic like an NT01 (or even DH P-Zero Slick). That being said- when they grip, they GRIP. I also was impressed with the wear, over a 3 day double stinted in both the instructor and advanced run group, plus 1200 street miles also, they still have another 3 day event worth of rubber on them. Though VIR is shockingly easy on tires with the new pavement. We ran a little more aggressive alignment than the GM supplement recommends.

Here's a lap of my older brother setting the best time for the weekend in the 2nd ever track session the ZL1 had seen! Its a bit of a scrappy lap, but indicates the car's potential. I wish traffic had cooperated better on Saturday and Sunday, had multiple 1:58's indicated but traffic happened.

Here's a few laps of me driving last session on Sunday. Nothing special, but helps illustrate multiple lap pace. I came on track a little late as the front of the instructor group was taking the green flag! Lots of traffic to start the lap.

Lastly- I'm very glad to inform you that even with the nuclear grade weaponry of the ZL1 1LE on hand, my SS 1LE still felt damn... damn special. The N/A motor sounds just nuts, while the chassis lacks the ultimate control of the ZL1 1LE, it also soaks up the climbing esses like it is out for a Sunday drive. I've never been more impressed with the SS 1LE. On P-Zero DH take-off slicks... I didn't want to get out of the car, it was so much fun.

Our friend from Phoenix flew in and drove with us at VIR. He has a well prepped 2008 base Porsche Cayman. After his 2nd session on Friday in the SS 1LE, his exact words were: "well, the Cayman is for sale. How is this possible for $43k?!?" He was completely blown away by the SS 1LE and started his search for black 2017 SS 1LE.

My best SS 1LE lap on RE71R street tires (2:05.88)

My best SS 1LE lap on P-Zero DH take-off's (2:02.62)