Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #15
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Agreed, I would be happy to visit the service manager in person and discuss. My hope is I can get some idea in advance which dealers MIGHT have service managers that are receptive to such "mod friendly" discussions before I start the conversation. I am probably over-complicating this, heh.

It makes sense that they would want to do work on the parts still covered by warranty (e.g., interior, electronics, etc.). Hopefully I can find a reasonable service manager that is supportive of this position. As far as I know it is only headers and a cam (and presumably a tune), nothing too extreme (although I realize a cam is not a bolt on).

Thank you for your help!
As a former general manager of a dealership, I can tell you that one other thing that stops the dealer from doing warranty work is sometimes the lack of technical expertise that he has on hand. There are certain things my shop foreman just did not want to do , because at that time he didn't have a tech/vendor that he felt could be proficient and time effective avail, due to vacations, or just holes in his roster. So again, what the local clubs can tell you is Really valuable in this regard.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
alexandre_baril

Drives: 2016 2SS
Do you have to go to GM for this? You should not if you can avoid it. Are you sure your car is not already marked anyway, while it was not your car? A used 2016 modded like that, this is smelly.

Not to be negative, but if anything serious happens, you are already mostly screw anyway marked or not, even if you bring it back to stock, you will have to pay.
alexandre_baril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #17
Razorback

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandre_baril View Post
Do you have to go to GM for this? You should not if you can avoid it.
Good question. I had assumed that the Android Auto update would require GM dealership assistance and that it would be done free of charge (assuming that the service manager did not completely reject the entire bumper to bumper warranty because of cam/headers). That is the reason I am hoping to find a "mod friendly" dealer in advance, if possible. Are there other ways for performance shops to download and apply the Android Auto update?

Quote:
Are you sure your car is not already marked anyway, while it was not your car? A used 2016 modded like that, this is smelly.
I am not 100% sure, no. However, the Chevy dealer I bought it from in the ad mentioned that the remainder of the factory warranty was still in effect. I could probably ask them directly and have them check.

Quote:
Not to be negative, but if anything serious happens, you are already mostly screw anyway marked or not, even if you bring it back to stock, you will have to pay.
Yep, I understand that, and I am not trying to get any modded items to be worked or covered under warranty. I am just hoping to get some of the non-modded items addressed (e.g., Android Auto) at a dealer that won't flip out and torch the entire warranty.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Only GM has the droid update.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:47 PM   #19
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
Quote:
This is a good idea. When you said the mods would smoke the warranty, was it just the powertrain/exhaust portion (assuming engine mods or ECU)? Or was it the entire warranty (i.e., including electronics, interior trim, paint, etc.)? That would seem extreme but maybe it is reality (and is what I am concerned about and hoping to avoid).
If you did any engine related mods, all engine/trans/powertrain warranties were done. Other non-related systems would still be covered. The one dealer exception said they were fine with mods, just obviously no warranty for the non-OEM parts. They all were very straight forward & open on the phone with telling them it was something I was just thinking about.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #20
alexandre_baril

Quote:
Good question. I had assumed that the

I am not 100% sure, no. However, the Chevy dealer I bought it from in the ad mentioned that the remainder of the factory warranty was still in effect. I could probably ask them directly and have them check.
Ok, in that case I think the safest bet would be to get the update from the GM retailer that sold you the car if it is possible (maybe they are not near you?). Everything is possible, but chance are very low that they will mark your car when they sold it to you.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #21
alexandre_baril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
If you did any engine related mods, all engine/trans/powertrain warranties were done. Other non-related systems would still be covered. The one dealer exception said they were fine with mods, just obviously no warranty for the non-OEM parts. They all were very straight forward & open on the phone with telling them it was something I was just thinking about.
Normally yes, but that can change if shit happens. I saw retailers (not GM) refusing working on car that are modded. One retailer once changed an aftermarket cold air filter for the OEM and they did charge the customer, telling they would had to mark the car otherwise. I also saw retailler telling they were fine with mod and won't cause any troubles, but they did mark the car on the first issue.

Off subject, but we are just talking about retailer, but insurance can be a pain also. One of my friend had an EVO and the car took in fire while it was sitting at home. The insurance company tried to prove the car was modded and that may have cause the issue. They pulled the ECU and tried to prove the car was not stock, but they were not able to prove anything as the car WAS STOCK and they paid. With even a slight tune, they would never had pay. Yes it's possible for an EVO to be stock lol. Of course you can go in court, but it's a pain...
Old 06-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Good question. I had assumed that the Android Auto update would require GM dealership assistance and that it would be done free of charge (assuming that the service manager did not completely reject the entire bumper to bumper warranty because of cam/headers). That is the reason I am hoping to find a "mod friendly" dealer in advance, if possible. Are there other ways for performance shops to download and apply the Android Auto update?

Yep, I understand that, and I am not trying to get any modded items to be worked or covered under warranty. I am just hoping to get some of the non-modded items addressed (e.g., Android Auto) at a dealer that won't flip out and torch the entire warranty.
I would take it there, tell them you are looking for the Android update and have them do it.

So, the dealership advertised that it had factory warranty, knowing that the car's powertrain was modified? Was there any discussion of this during your purchase process? Point being, if they sold you a modified car with a voided powertrain warranty, and did not tell you as much, this is a major disclosure issue. They should have also been clear about what was and what was not still covered on the car. Of course, you should have taken due diligence and asked them about it as well.

Regardless, anything that is not powertrain related should still be covered. Like I mentioned before, the bumper to bumper and the powertrain are actually separate warranties.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #23
alexandre_baril

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I would take it there, tell them you are looking for the Android update and have them do it.

So, the dealership advertised that it had factory warranty, knowing that the car's powertrain was modified? Was there any discussion of this during your purchase process? Point being, if they sold you a modified car with a voided powertrain warranty, and did not tell you as much, this is a major disclosure issue. They should have also been clear about what was and what was not still covered on the car. Of course, you should have taken due diligence and asked them about it as well.

Regardless, anything that is not powertrain related should still be covered. Like I mentioned before, the bumper to bumper and the powertrain are actually separate warranties.
I am also surprised about this. I doubt the dealer put anywhere the car still had powertrain warranty. It is not that important has Razorback is not assuming that anyway and he probably got a nice deal on the car also because of this. In any case going to that dealer for the update is the best bet.