#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #15
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Def appreciated. While i know im now set on the dssv, i may add the shocks if available and possibly a bit stiffer.

As of right now, my car sits about as low as the gm kit with stock springs. Esoecially in the rear.
Nice! Sorry, I missed that post where you said you were set on the DSSVs.

I would say avoid the GM performance dampers without the lowering springs. Main differences are: 1) slightly increased rebound force 2) slightly reduced compression force 3) shorter length to properly align with the lowering springs.

For stiffer suspension, I'd suggest taking a look into stiffer non-lowering springs and/or stiffer roll bars. Maybe even the 1LE suspension kit?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...UqQhoC6F_w_wcB
Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Nice! Sorry, I missed that post where you said you were set on the DSSVs.

I would say avoid the GM performance dampers without the lowering springs. Main differences are: 1) slightly increased rebound force 2) slightly reduced compression force 3) shorter length to properly align with the lowering springs.

For stiffer suspension, I'd suggest taking a look into stiffer non-lowering springs and/or stiffer roll bars. Maybe even the 1LE suspension kit?

the struts cant be THAT shortened though. the lowering kit is "up to 20mm", which isn't even 3/4 of an inch.

the rebound force is basically what I AM looking for.

and already running the BMR adjustable swaybars front and rear.

def appreciate the info though... that, or some FE3 parts (1LE setup) might be the appetizer needed. just watched the Al Oppenheiser vid on the 1LE v6 release and he said the V6 came with the FE3 dampers and something about the springs... so now I'm wondering if the whole car comes with the actual SS springs AND dampers...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #17
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:

That kit fits the 5th gen
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #18
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
the struts cant be THAT shortened though. the lowering kit is "up to 20mm", which isn't even 3/4 of an inch.

def appreciate the info though... that, or some FE3 parts (1LE setup) might be the appetizer needed. just watched the Al Oppenheiser vid on the 1LE v6 release and he said the V6 came with the FE3 dampers and something about the springs... so now I'm wondering if the whole car comes with the actual SS springs AND dampers...
The GM performance lowering kit rides as expected for an OEM. It is stiffer, you can it feel more so in the rear but no bounce like those that are complaining about the a/m springs and stock shocks. The struts/shocks are roughly 3/4" shorter overall.

And yes, everything I've read on the 1LE V6 is they used the complete SS suspension parts. Shocks/struts/bars/springs. I haven't read anything about bushings like the SS 1LE
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #19
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:

FE3 dampers make sense, but I'd think need shorter or softer springs vs. the SS springs due to the difference in weight between the cars. With the SS factory springs, the car (mostly the front) would ride a little high since there's not as much weight under the hood. Might even be OK with the SS springs if your car rides low on factory springs, I couldn't say for sure. Would make for an interesting experiment at least

Also, as Glen pointed out, I linked the kit for the 5th gen 1LE suspension kit I've seen other people get the 1LE suspension kits for their 6th gen SS Camaros, so I had just assumed that the 6th gen V6 1LE suspension would also be available as a kit. My bad!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
That kit fits the 5th gen
true... right now, if I did anything along that route, I'd have to grab a random vin and source out individual parts. no biggie though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
The GM performance lowering kit rides as expected for an OEM. It is stiffer, you can it feel more so in the rear but no bounce like those that are complaining about the a/m springs and stock shocks. The struts/shocks are roughly 3/4" shorter overall.

And yes, everything I've read on the 1LE V6 is they used the complete SS suspension parts. Shocks/struts/bars/springs. I haven't read anything about bushings like the SS 1LE

from this vid, start it at 7:31. Al O says its the cooling, suspension, and then says bushings, and cross axis ball joints. so i'm guessing the toe links and possibly the rear cradle bushings.

as far as swaybars, already have the BMR adjustables front and rear. the rear cradle lockout will be soon.

Quote:
FE3 dampers make sense, but I'd think need shorter or softer springs vs. the SS springs due to the difference in weight between the cars. With the SS factory springs, the car (mostly the front) would ride a little high since there's not as much weight under the hood. Might even be OK with the SS springs if your car rides low on factory springs, I couldn't say for sure. Would make for an interesting experiment at least

Also, as Glen pointed out, I linked the kit for the 5th gen 1LE suspension kit I've seen other people get the 1LE suspension kits for their 6th gen SS Camaros, so I had just assumed that the 6th gen V6 1LE suspension would also be available as a kit. My bad!
my pics from page 1 about being on stock springs and already lowered . I think I'm may have to try that experiment. honestly in all coilovers ive used in the past, I;ve ALWAYS used the V8 models due to the higher spring rates.

weight dealing with my car specifically isn't much of an issue (needing the lighter v6 versions due to lack of engine weight). at 375lbs I legit overcome that 200lbs weight savings over the v8. if you put me in your car, its the equivalent of 2 extra passengers. so if the v6 is normally 3600-3700 and some change, I legit put the car at or over 4000lbs.

if anything, I maybe should upgrade to the SS springs to counteract the extra weight already in the car daily

no worries about the 5th gen kit. all In good intentions, and def appreciate the help. like said above, I'll prob have to grab a vin and go parts hunting. not that big of an issue.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 06-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #21
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
talked to bilstein again over the weekend they are coming out with a full line of goodies for our cars! oem shocks , performance shocks and coilovers etc
Old 06-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #22
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
talked to bilstein again over the weekend they are coming out with a full line of goodies for our cars! oem shocks , performance shocks and coilovers etc
Cool stuff. Still no time line though, right?

Old 06-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
he said third-fourth quarter and if i dont have coilovers on by then ill probably grab some lol
Old 06-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #24
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Any word on Koni?
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
i havent heard anything but i can try to reach out to them again for you guys if you want?
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #26
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Still looks pretty high to me, mine is low and sits right on top of the tires. The shocks will not affect the ride height. The shocks will only react to road conditions, rebound, corning, etc. I went with the Phastek lowering springs on stock struts. I will change those out the winter a shorter strut/shock since its lowered 1.5 inches and will eventually cause some issues with the longer strut/shock. Love the way it handles and still hooks like crazy at the strip.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #27
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
This is some great news... Didn't know bilstein was developing stuff for us
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #28
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
I had emailed Koni back in April.

" Thank you for your interest in KONI shocks. The ‘16+ Camaro sport yellow shocks are currently in the early stages for product development. The last update that I heard, was that Engineering is waiting for sample spring seat stampings to show up, in order to produce the first set of prototypes for test fitting. Once fitment has confirmed and completed, we can then begin the shock valving development, and road testing of the damper. Unfortunately, until the prototypes and testing are complete we will not have an expected availability date for the products release. You can keep up with our most current applications at www.koni-na.com."
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote