Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
SS17

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss
I have a brand new 2017 ss I'm trying to get out of my lease, I will give 2000 grand to help sweeten the deal
SS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
i

When I checked GM insider is was a forum that was making a guess more than facts... let me know if I'm wrong... right now I would wait until late summer by then GM will release the specs on the 18 and if they are not going 10A for 2018 your buddy can pick up a good deal on a 17 year end deal..
It was GMAuthority my bad and I just went to read the article again and it states "we guess". So like my disclaimer, really not anything to bet on yet.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/10lxx/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
The 10-speed will produce more than just an MPG improvement. Should be just straight up faster car and it will keep you in the right powerband better. At least that's what It's doing in it's other 2 applications.

To me, I would wait for concrete facts on the MY2018 before pulling the trigger. If it ends up being the 8-speed then just buy a 2017 off the lot for a big discount OR a pre-owned model.
What 2 applications has it shown to be "faster" than the 8 speed in the same vehicle? It may be much better on the track than the 8 speed but I was mainly referring to acceleration straight line.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #17
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
The 10-speed will produce more than just an MPG improvement. Should be just straight up faster car and it will keep you in the right powerband better.
Note that the A10 on the ZL1 got hit with a larger GG Tax over the M6 due to decreased MPG, but sure wouldn't let that deter anyone.

~~~~~~~~~

2020 is a long way out!! You gotta feed the monkey!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #18
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS17 View Post
I have a brand new 2017 ss I'm trying to get out of my lease, I will give 2000 grand to help sweeten the deal
Why?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #19
ron scubadiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Note that the A10 on the ZL1 got hit with a larger GG Tax over the M6 due to decreased MPG, but sure wouldn't let that deter anyone.

~~~~~~~~~

2020 is a long way out!! You gotta feed the monkey!!

You are right, anyone who wants a supercharged 650 hp car doesn't care a bit about gas mileage. However, I would not draw conclusions about the A10 from this single application. I believe it will replace the high torque A8 eventually, but not next year.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:00 AM   #20
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
What 2 applications has it shown to be "faster" than the 8 speed in the same vehicle? It may be much better on the track than the 8 speed but I was mainly referring to acceleration straight line.
Well until we get data in an actual SS we won't know the true benefit. I do know that this A8 is just an "OK" transmission it is certainly not world-class like the some of the ZF 8-speeds and all the good dual-clutch models like the PDK and S-Tronic (I had this in my last car, a 2015 Audi S4).

Every now and then I am hung in the wrong gear or waiting a bit for the trans to go into the right gear. It is a lot better now that I have 7K miles of driving with a bunch of autocross and a couple track sessions in...not to mention that I have a lead foot. But still not as good as that dual clutch.

From all the reviews so far, everyone loves the new 10-speed. Just has better software or something.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 AM   #21
RobertSmith

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution X
There's always better down the road.
RobertSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:19 AM   #22
Cornholio
I need Teepee!

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
I feel like I silently will you to post. Hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by cignul9 View Post
You and I, both...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
I was thinking the same thing.... wait for Gen 7 -- it will probably be battery operated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
+1
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #23
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Two other things to consider

1. I never like owning the first year release of models or driveline changes
2. It is kind of cool to own a 17 since it's the 50th year for Camaro
Old 02-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #24
mustangcrusher1

Drives: 2017 camaro SS blue w/white stripes
wait until 2025!!! Big things happening! LOL why wait, the performance of the 10 speed will not be a total game changer like the 6th gen. was...
mustangcrusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #25
ron scubadiver

Quote:
Well until we get data in an actual SS we won't know the true benefit. I do know that this A8 is just an "OK" transmission it is certainly not world-class like the some of the ZF 8-speeds and all the good dual-clutch models like the PDK and S-Tronic (I had this in my last car, a 2015 Audi S4).

Every now and then I am hung in the wrong gear or waiting a bit for the trans to go into the right gear. It is a lot better now that I have 7K miles of driving with a bunch of autocross and a couple track sessions in...not to mention that I have a lead foot. But still not as good as that dual clutch.

From all the reviews so far, everyone loves the new 10-speed. Just has better software or something.
Perhaps a DCT is better in competition, but I have spent a fair amount of time driving various BMW's with ZF 8 speeds and on the street they are not one bit better than GM's A8. I wouldn't be surprised if GM licensed the design from ZF. In low speed driving a DCT leaves a lot to be desired. I had one in a 135i for 6 years. The grass is always greener...
Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Update, here's what I know about the coming 2018 Camaro line:
Old 02-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #27
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Yea improvements in at least on track behavior (maybe not better lap times) definitely seem to be something the A10 will improve on. The only area where the A8 really needed improvement is paddle response, which the A10 should correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
Perhaps a DCT is better in competition, but I have spent a fair amount of time driving various BMW's with ZF 8 speeds and on the street they are not one bit better than GM's A8. I wouldn't be surprised if GM licensed the design from ZF. In low speed driving a DCT leaves a lot to be desired. I had one in a 135i for 6 years. The grass is always greener...
Same here. I owned a ZF 8 equipped 328i, and spent time in a Dodge Charger RT and Scat Pack. The ZF 8's only advantage is paddle response. I've experienced almost all the same issues you hear about the 8L90, in at least one of those cars (hunting for gears, abrupt shifts, lag in downshifts, etc...) That convinced me that the tech used in both variants is extremely close with the main differences being in programing. From a performance perspective they are equal. You can read track reviews of some of the Jaguar cars with the ZF 8 and hear some of the same complaints for the 8L90 on track day. Bottom line TC autos will always be the poorer choice for the track, but that gap between them and DCTs is much closer than ever. And the A10 sounds like will narrow that gap even further.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I just deleted nearly half the thread because it went wildly off topic.

For those that don't want to go all the way back to the original post, here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
A friend is wanting an SS Camaro. With information that the 18's will have a 10 speed automatic and in theory should be quicker, he's pondering waiting on an 18 or not.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks.
Try to answer the OP's question folks.

Carry on

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote