Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 12-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Odds and ends... My 1992 Vette had the 1 to 4 forced up shift, it's ancient. Cylinder deactivation has been around for a long time as well, but the first efforts were not transparent like what we have now.

China has a huge tax on cars with engines over 4 liters. That's why Mercedes/
AMG and Ferrari have developed twin turbo 4 liter V8 engines. Displacement taxes are lame, only fuel efficiency should matter. The US fuel efficiency rules allow for more consumption as vehicle footprint goes up, so what we get are larger vehicles. Look at how the BMW 3 and 4 series have grown from compacts to midsize.

I am happy to see I am not the only driver of a fancy German brand to switch to the SS.
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #16
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Fraxum, very interesting that you came from a 335i, which in my opinion is a fine automobile and probably the 3 series most comparable to the SS. The 328i's are great cars, but don't touch the 335i from a performance and fun standpoint.

I did drive a coupe and to me the differences between coupe and convertible, in my non professional opinion, were pretty narrow. For me, I wanted a convertible but would have gone with a coupe with a sunroof if there would have been a large difference.

While Europe is a big market, for some automobiles the US is a very important market, and for US manufacturers the CAFE is a pretty big deal. I agree that things should be outcome based without regulation concerning how a manufacturer gets there. Even though we are a big market I think as consumers those of us in the US can think we are more important than we some times are. I think the Land Rover Defender 90 was one of the coolest sport ute type vehicles ever. When California, and the rest of the US started demanding certain side impact standards Rover said such a small percentage of those vehicles were sold to the US it wasn't worth complying with the requirements to continue selling them here. I think that shocked a lot of folks.

I didn't realize the forced 1st to 4th upshift was used as far back as 92.

I assume most of you have seen the YouTube video of the Motor Trend compro between the SS and M4. The 3 series, and the M3 have been benchmark cars for so long that it's sort of sad to see what they are morphing in to. Who would have ever dreamed that a major magazine would ever be comparing a M series BMW to a Camaro?!? As a proud American I think it's fantastic.
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysideshooter View Post
Fraxum, very interesting that you came from a 335i, which in my opinion is a fine automobile and probably the 3 series most comparable to the SS. The 328i's are great cars, but don't touch the 335i from a performance and fun standpoint.

I did drive a coupe and to me the differences between coupe and convertible, in my non professional opinion, were pretty narrow. For me, I wanted a convertible but would have gone with a coupe with a sunroof if there would have been a large difference.

While Europe is a big market, for some automobiles the US is a very important market, and for US manufacturers the CAFE is a pretty big deal. I agree that things should be outcome based without regulation concerning how a manufacturer gets there. Even though we are a big market I think as consumers those of us in the US can think we are more important than we some times are. I think the Land Rover Defender 90 was one of the coolest sport ute type vehicles ever. When California, and the rest of the US started demanding certain side impact standards Rover said such a small percentage of those vehicles were sold to the US it wasn't worth complying with the requirements to continue selling them here. I think that shocked a lot of folks.

I didn't realize the forced 1st to 4th upshift was used as far back as 92.

I assume most of you have seen the YouTube video of the Motor Trend compro between the SS and M4. The 3 series, and the M3 have been benchmark cars for so long that it's sort of sad to see what they are morphing in to. Who would have ever dreamed that a major magazine would ever be comparing a M series BMW to a Camaro?!? As a proud American I think it's fantastic.
To me the SS is a BMW 3 series with an LT1. Perfection.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-01-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS View Post
I can't believe I read the whole thing

All jokes aside, thank you for the informative comparison piece.
My compliments to drysideshooter! Entertaining and informative posts which also happen to be well written!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
My compliments to drysideshooter! Entertaining and informative posts which also happen to be well written!
My compliments also! I feel good about my decision and return to Chevy after so many decades.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #20
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Excellent writing by the OP, enjoyed reading the comparisons. He should write for an auto magazine lol
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #21
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Hadn't checked this thread in a while. Thank you most sincerely for the kind words.

Finally looking like Spring may finally arrive in eastern Washington, so hoping to be enjoying some miles in the SS vert.
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 AM   #22
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Similar experience here. This gen 6 is a pretty good effort for Chevy - I've owned several corvettes and about a dozen BMW's and a 996 Porsche. And I opted for a convertible too. Replaced a 328i convertible and in my opinion the gen 6 is actually a stiffer chassis vs the bmw 3 series. It's a better car in almost every way vs the 911 I had. That car had amazing steering feel and crazy grip. The Camaro is a bit more filtered, but there is better driver feedback than in a C6 by a long shot and it's similar to the 3 series. And of course the motor is beyond killer !!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #23
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Nice review. Thank you.
Now try the ZL1/1LE and it will put most of the EUROPEAN cars in your rear view more!
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #24
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
The new Camaro is a blast to drive. I can't wait to get my 1LE on the track. I am also coming from several German cars (notably '08, '11 335i; '02, '15, '16 M3s; '17 Boxster S) and I think the '16 SS I had was just as, or MORE fun on track. .. the 1LE is going to be awesome. I still prefer the German cars for dual duty, but for the price difference getting a decent daily driver in addition to the aggressive 1LE is my play (Audi S3 makes a nice DD).
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote