Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #15
StateOfMind415

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NFG M6 MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I like the way it changes the tone. It definitely sounds a little more refined than just chopping off the secondary cats from the stock exhaust. It actually reminds me of how my C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 sounded with the X pipe. I think you've made up my mind. I'm going to go with the Borla midpipe.
Great choice, you won't be disappointed! If you end up buying a band clamp to connect the x-pipe to NPP, I highly recommend this one since it fully seals the pipe all around. Might be a bit pricey but it will not cause any leaks.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPE-1176
StateOfMind415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #16
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind415 View Post
Great choice, you won't be disappointed! If you end up buying a band clamp to connect the x-pipe to NPP, I highly recommend this one since it fully seals the pipe all around. Might be a bit pricey but it will not cause any leaks.
Those are actually the exact ones I used on my Z06's for the reason you just mentioned. Thanks for confirming they are a wise investment once again.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
M12LRV

Drives: .
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Are you sure this bolts up to the factory NPP system? It's 3 inch piping and mentions that it mates the the Hooker axle back system. I've never been a fan of Hooker products anyhow so I guess it does not matter. If I'm going to spend that kind of $$ I'm going to get the Borla midpipe. It's 2.75 inch and Borla is top notch quality.
None of them bolt right up. They both require cutting/ welding /additional clamps. I'm on the fence myself about which one to get tbh. While the quality might be better with Borla, its really just straight piping, only difference is 2.75 and 3".
M12LRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #18
Rudy_1SS

Drives: 2017 Camero 1SS. White, NPP, Manual
Quote:
Yes, the sound will change. You will get a smoother and slightly louder exhaust note. Sounds sweet above 2k RPMs, while WOT sounds vicious and loud!

The main reason why I choose the borla x-pipe was to delete the secondary cats, while still being able to revert back to the factory x-pipe whenever I need to. I bought high quality 2.75" band clamps that connects the x-pipe to the stock NPP muffler. Also, in Borla's R&D with the C7, they found that 2.75" diameter pipes has better overall performance advantages compared to 3" if your staying relatively stock.

Check out some of my sound clips...
Cold start in Ice/Snow mode:

Cold start in Sport mode:

Highway cruising:
Awesome thanks a lot man, this is just what I needed!
Rudy_1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #19
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

[QUOTE=M12LRV;9405921]
Quote:

None of them bolt right up. They both require cutting/ welding /additional clamps. I'm on the fence myself about which one to get tbh. While the quality might be better with Borla, its really just straight piping, only difference is 2.75 and 3".
I don't believe the Borla 60609 requires cutting. It has adapters to mate up to the factory NPP exhaust and the front part bolts directly to the primary cats, therefore deleting the secondary cats.

Install instructions here:
https://www.borla.com/60609.pdf
Old 11-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #20
Rudy_1SS

Quote:
Yea i'd be getting these for sure, dont want to create any leaks.
Thanks again for the good info and vids
Old 11-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #21
StateOfMind415

Quote:

I don't believe the Borla 60609 requires cutting. It has adapters to mate up to the factory NPP exhaust and the front part bolts directly to the primary cats, therefore deleting the secondary cats.

Install instructions here:
https://www.borla.com/60609.pdf
Actually yes there was cutting required. Factory NPP system is one piece after the primary cats. I used borla's axelback instructions to figure out where to cut (you can use a sawzall or exhaust chain cutter). Check out page 6 for more details, https://www.borla.com/11925.pdf.

Last edited by StateOfMind415; 11-15-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #22
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

[QUOTE=StateOfMind415;9406919]
Quote:

Actually yes there was cutting required. Factory NPP system is one piece after the primary cats. I used borla's axelback instructions to figure out where to cut (you can use a sawzall or exhaust chain cutter). Check out page 6 for more details, https://www.borla.com/11925.pdf.
ahhhhhh well that kinda sucks. Makes me want to just buy the entire catback but thats stupid expensive.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
StateOfMind415

Quote:
ahhhhhh well that kinda sucks. Makes me want to just buy the entire catback but thats stupid expensive.
Agree it's way too much. A bright side of borla x-pipe to NPP would be that you can always upgrade to the Borla Axelback in the future if the price ever drops. That's what I'm waiting for. At least the x-pipe gives you a similar sound to what the full catback sounds like.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #24
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

I don't ever remember exhaust parts costing so much money. It's not like these are $100,000 ZR1's. Must just be because its new and hot and some people will pay it. I could buy it but its a waste of money IMO.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #25
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
I don't ever remember exhaust parts costing so much money. It's not like these are $100,000 ZR1's. Must just be because its new and hot and some people will pay it. I could buy it but its a waste of money IMO.
It's crazy!
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #26
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Argh. This thread had me buying the Borla until I got to "cutting required". Sigh.

However, if I did it, I fully intend to keep AFM/DOD. So questions:

- Any drone with the Cat delete? In highway cruise in Tour mode, no worries about drone?

- What are the CEL/tuning issues with the 2nd Cat delete? I have HPT, but want to put off breakig into the tune as long as possible.

And Megahurtz, I like your way of thinking. That's the direction I'm heading - squeeze out as much HP as I can while keeping some economy and touring.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #27
Rudy_1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Argh. This thread had me buying the Borla until I got to "cutting required". Sigh.

- Any drone with the Cat delete? In highway cruise in Tour mode, no worries about drone?

- What are the CEL/tuning issues with the 2nd Cat delete? I have HPT, but want to put off breakig into the tune as long as possible.

And Megahurtz, I like your way of thinking. That's the direction I'm heading - squeeze out as much HP as I can while keeping some economy and touring.

Padre
There's some drone in Sport. Not sure about tour as I don't use it offten
There should be no CEL if it's done correctly.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #28
StateOfMind415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post

Padre
The only way to avoid cutting is if you get the full catback system. Any other set up will require cutting since the factory exhaust is 1 piece.

In my experience with the M6, the stock NPP muffler always had drone under 2k rpms. GM was able to "silence" the drone by activating the valves to close under a certain RPM depending on the mode and throttle input. Touring will close under 3k, sport will close under 2k, and track will close under 1.5k RPMs. Except for track mode, this will make highway cruising sound quiet, drone free.

No CELs will occur and no tuning is required.