Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 AM   #15
Hunt-man

Drives: 2015 Z28 + Piper Comanche
I'm in Portland, OR. I put the MPSS on mine. Very happy with them. They do break loose if I push too hard. On the street they have been great. I've run them with less pressure and like them that way. I drove in a lot of rain.

I did PIR and some autocross with the MPSS and they were great. The Trofeo's are much faster at autocross but are not so nice for daily driving.

The front splitter is a pain. Does fine over speed bumps and most driveways. I'm just bitter because I cracked mine on a curb a few days ago. I may get a front / back camera. Hard car to judge distance.

My AC if Fing awesome. So happy I have it.

The radio in the Z isn't so good. The speakers are cheap. There isn't any sound deadening and its a noisy ride on the freeway. Hard to enjoy tunes. Ok at slower speeds.

Go get one. Best bang for the buck you'll find.
Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:35 AM   #16
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
IMHO. You can daily drive it, but it's not as much fun as a ZL1 for the streets.
The ZL1 was quicker, and faster in every way, had a stereo and Nav, very comfortable seats, and a great magnetic ride, and sounded sick with the the Supercharger, and could outperform almost any other car on the road, plus it didn't have these glossy chip able ground effects.
The Z28 is a track machine, so it's made for that, and that's why I traded my ZL1...I'm getting more and more into tracking my car, and the Z28 is a beast at the track, and has all the options required for great track days, but if I daily drove my Camaro, I would have kept my ZL1.
The fact that the Z28 is limited production was also very intriguing.
JMO
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #17
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
IMHO. You can daily drive it, but it's not as much fun as a ZL1 for the streets.
The ZL1 was quicker, and faster in every way, had a stereo and Nav, very comfortable seats, and a great magnetic ride, and sounded sick with the the Supercharger, and could outperform almost any other car on the road, plus it didn't have these glossy chip able ground effects.
The Z28 is a track machine, so it's made for that, and that's why I traded my ZL1...I'm getting more and more into tracking my car, and the Z28 is a beast at the track, and has all the options required for great track days, but if I daily drove my Camaro, I would have kept my ZL1.
JMO
well stated...+1
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #18
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
z/28 impressions

OK, so some questions:

1. The consensus appears to be that Michelin Pilot Sport is the way to go if you're anywhere near rain. As I'm in WA state, there's rain. Any better options out yet? (I think the thread discussing this was from 2015)
Get Pilot Sport PS2's they're great on my Z06 and should drive 15000 to 20000 miles. Personally when I do tires I'm going to seek out a pair of rear rims, and send them to a fellow in CA to add 1.5 to 2 " in width and then get 345's in the rear; just like on my Z06.

2. What about that front splitter? Is it a pain with speed bumps and driveways? I see people driving "normal" Camaros all the time, but how much of a difference is it?

I have a hilly driveway and a bump getting over the curb that the sacrificial plastic on my Z06 rubs, w/the Z/28 I do a 90 degree cut into the driveway and pull straight in and have about 1.5" of clearance at the worst..so a non issue, theres more room than you think. Tulsa has some killer speed bumps in some neighborhoods...I avoid those.

3. I read in some thread that the AC will shut down on hot days when you sit in traffic. Do they all have that problem, and are there any improvements for it?

I'm sure its designed that way. Under spirited driving above 5000 rpm, it shuts down and shunts power to the engine. No big deal as you're not WFO all the time right??? And you sure don't want to mess up your engine by doing something inane to the AC

4. Another thread discussed an issue where oil could get into the air intake under heave deceleration when using engine breaking. Any solutions for that? I engine brake all the time, and on a downhill, a rumbling V8 doing engine braking sounds amazing. Oil catch can?

If you must, no issue on my car; this LS7 runs as hard and with the 3.91 rear end come out of a hole harder than my '09 Z06..the only thing more fun to do requires being in bed... I've watched and seen no reason to do catch cans yet. BTW if you read that entire thread, it clearly stated NOT to engine brake as a habit, as it could damage the engine. I downshift in corners nd at low speeds coming into a light. Why risk a $16,000 engine?

5. It seems there isn't even a USB input for the stereo, even with the AC+Radio package, is that correct? Is that easy to add, or should I just put in an aftermarket system? (Not interested in high end install, but do want to hook up my iPod)

Adapters available, I listen to the burble of LS7 in both my cars..radios?? XM?? gahhhh....burble, snap crackle pop at every shift up or down...now thats the symphony of the Z/28 (and Z06).

There is a red one for sale in Renton, WA at "Good Chevrolet". It has about 18300 miles on it, and it looks horrible. Paint stripped to white fiberglass, front splitter has impact discolorations, engine cover warped and lettering stripped, etc. Haven't driven it yet (there was a road closure so stationary traffic for miles, plus the sales guy had 0 interest in selling). Does anyone know the car? The inspection document was from April 2016, so it's been sitting for 3 months. Way overpriced, and the sales guy said they don't haggle the price. Was thinking of driving that one and then see if I like it. Either negotiate the price down, or buy one elsewhere (there are a few new ones left, it seems) and drive it home (because why the hell not).

Take a pass, look carefully you can find a great car w/o buying a ragged out one..thats a shame really..oh well the rest of our cars get more valuable as folks rag out the other S/N's...
I got mine w/318 miles for 53395 w/ a 7 yr 70000 mile warranty, and its perfect in every way. I clay barred the entire car then had 60%, including the whole front clip covered with 8.5 mil Xpel Ultimate..it glistens in the garage and I swear talks to me as I head for my 3000GT daily driver on the way to work. Its red hot...so I can just hear the blood/man eating plant out of little shop of horrors..."feed me Seymour feed me..."

Anyway, really looking to get some insight as to what the car is actually like to own and drive.

Either by itself or with the daly driver...honestly you'll never regret it. Ill NEVER get rid of mine as it puts a smile on my face EVERY time I get in her. I had a friend in from LA, and he hadn't been in one, just seen them, I did a 180 degree power turn at 40 mph; and the car pivoted and rocketed the opposite direction..he was amazed (me too)-> it must have looked cool, at the next light two trucks came by thumbs up to us! Anyway I have yet to meet a corner that its not like I can hear it say to me"Feed me Larry Feed Me! (more gas in the corner).

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 07-29-2016 at 07:48 AM.
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
SimonBelgium

Drives: Lamborghini Diablo & SuperLeggera
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
2. What about that front splitter? Is it a pain with speed bumps and driveways? I see people driving "normal" Camaros all the time, but how much of a difference is it?

I have a hilly driveway and a bump getting over the curb that the sacrificial plastic on my Z06 rubs, w/the Z/28 I do a 90 degree cut into the driveway and pull straight in and have about 1.5" of clearance at the worst..so a non issue, theres more room than you think. Tulsa has some killer speed bumps in some neighborhoods...I avoid those.
My wife's from Tulsa originally, been there I am used to low ground clearance in the Diablo, but wouldn't want to scratch or break the splitter every time I go out in it.

Quote:

3. I read in some thread that the AC will shut down on hot days when you sit in traffic. Do they all have that problem, and are there any improvements for it?

I'm sure its designed that way. Under spirited driving above 5000 rpm, it shuts down and shunts power to the engine. No big deal as you're not WFO all the time right??? And you sure don't want to mess up your engine by doing something inane to the AC
From memory, it said that if you sat in traffic in hot weather, and the engine started to get hot, it would shut off the AC. When going WOT, I think most sportscars disengage the AC over a certain RPM. I remember having that when I tracked my Subaru at Spa-Francorchamps and Zolder in Belgium on hot days, in mid corner you'd suddenly get a gush of cold air as the compressor kicked in

Quote:
4. Another thread discussed an issue where oil could get into the air intake under heave deceleration when using engine breaking. Any solutions for that? I engine brake all the time, and on a downhill, a rumbling V8 doing engine braking sounds amazing. Oil catch can?

If you must, no issue on my car; this LS7 runs as hard and with the 3.91 rear end come out of a hole harder than my '09 Z06..the only thing more fun to do requires being in bed... I've watched and seen no reason to do catch cans yet. BTW if you read that entire thread, it clearly stated NOT to engine brake as a habit, as it could damage the engine. I downshift in corners nd at low speeds coming into a light. Why risk a $16,000 engine?
I still don't get how or why it happens. Engine braking is normal, and I do it all the time to stabilize the car when slowing down (heel-toe downshifts and all that good fun). I have never ever heard this would be bad for your engine, which is why I wanted to know more about it. May have to dig up that thread again and read it more in depth.

Quote:

5. It seems there isn't even a USB input for the stereo, even with the AC+Radio package, is that correct? Is that easy to add, or should I just put in an aftermarket system? (Not interested in high end install, but do want to hook up my iPod)

Adapters available, I listen to the burble of LS7 in both my cars..radios?? XM?? gahhhh....burble, snap crackle pop at every shift up or down...now thats the symphony of the Z/28 (and Z06).
I know, and I do love a good engine sound, but for a daily driver, I would really like to hook up my iPod and have some tunes in there. I will probably ask Gen5DIY to hook me up with a better unit, though I believe the MY2015 have a CD player, which the '14 doesn't?

Quote:
There is a red one for sale in Renton, WA at "Good Chevrolet". It has about 18300 miles on it, and it looks horrible. Paint stripped to white fiberglass, front splitter has impact discolorations, engine cover warped and lettering stripped, etc. Haven't driven it yet (there was a road closure so stationary traffic for miles, plus the sales guy had 0 interest in selling). Does anyone know the car? The inspection document was from April 2016, so it's been sitting for 3 months. Way overpriced, and the sales guy said they don't haggle the price. Was thinking of driving that one and then see if I like it. Either negotiate the price down, or buy one elsewhere (there are a few new ones left, it seems) and drive it home (because why the hell not).

Take a pass, look carefully you can find a great car w/o buying a ragged out one..thats a shame really..oh well the rest of our cars get more valuable as folks rag out the other S/N's...
I got mine w/318 miles for 53395 w/ a 7 yr 70000 mile warranty, and its perfect in every way. I clay barred the entire car then had 60%, including the whole front clip covered with 8.5 mil Xpel Ultimate..it glistens in the garage and I swear talks to me as I head for my 3000GT daily driver on the way to work. Its red hot...so I can just hear the blood/man eating plant out of little shop of horrors..."feed me Seymour feed me..."
I would probably get one of the last new ones indeed, and XPEL the crap out of it That way I can run in the engine properly, get full warranty and all that.

Quote:
Anyway, really looking to get some insight as to what the car is actually like to own and drive.

Either by itself or with the daly driver...honestly you'll never regret it. Ill NEVER get rid of mine as it puts a smile on my face EVERY time I get in her. I had a friend in from LA, and he hadn't been in one, just seen them, I did a 180 degree power turn at 40 mph; and the car pivoted and rocketed the opposite direction..he was amazed (me too)-> it must have looked cool, at the next light two trucks came by thumbs up to us! Anyway I have yet to meet a corner that its not like I can hear it say to me"Feed me Larry Feed Me! (more gas in the corner).
Sounds fun.
I saw that clip of the (old) UK Top Gear, where Clarkson sets off at 4AM in the CLK63 AMG Black Series, and basically says there are too few cars these days that make us want to get up and go for a drive. And yes, there are cars you can daily, and still have fun in, and still want to take out at the crack of dawn for a blast down the country or through the canyons.
I think the Z28 fits that bill (with other tires), as does the CLK63 Black, and the GT350 (though that dealer markup is stupid).
Thanks for chiming in!
SimonBelgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #20
SimonBelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-man View Post
I'm in Portland, OR. I put the MPSS on mine. Very happy with them. They do break loose if I push too hard. On the street they have been great. I've run them with less pressure and like them that way. I drove in a lot of rain.

I did PIR and some autocross with the MPSS and they were great. The Trofeo's are much faster at autocross but are not so nice for daily driving.

The front splitter is a pain. Does fine over speed bumps and most driveways. I'm just bitter because I cracked mine on a curb a few days ago. I may get a front / back camera. Hard car to judge distance.

My AC if Fing awesome. So happy I have it.

The radio in the Z isn't so good. The speakers are cheap. There isn't any sound deadening and its a noisy ride on the freeway. Hard to enjoy tunes. Ok at slower speeds.

Go get one. Best bang for the buck you'll find.
Thanks for that. Currently in Olympia, WA, so not all that far away.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #21
SimonBelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
JMO
Yeah, have thought about the ZL1 or Challenger Hellcat for that matter. But I am a big fan of N/A motors, and the Z/28 just looks bad ass Add the great seats, trick suspension, the stance on those 305s... I'll just buy a Bentley when I get older and need comfort.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #22
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Model year '14 AND '15, have identical stereo systems. Single CD player, with either 1 driver door speaker or 7 speaker system.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #23
Hunt-man

Drives: 2015 Z28 + Piper Comanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBelgium View Post
Thanks for that. Currently in Olympia, WA, so not all that far away.
My folks live above Capital lake. I grew up there.

Hope you can find a nice Z28.
Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #24
SimonBelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
Model year '14 AND '15, have identical stereo systems. Single CD player, with either 1 driver door speaker or 7 speaker system.
Thanks for the clarification !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-man View Post
My folks live above Capital lake. I grew up there.

Hope you can find a nice Z28.
Ha! Small world. We're moving up north once we find a house (I work in downtown Seattle).
Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #25
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
It can be a daily driver but not your only car. There will be places and times when it's too impractical.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #26
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
It can be a daily driver but not your only car. There will be places and times when it's too impractical.
I daily mine and It is my only car. I got mine in Nov 2015 and it has ~7000 miles daily driving now.

1. The consensus appears to be that Michelin Pilot Sport is the way to go if you're anywhere near rain. As I'm in WA state, there's rain. Any better options out yet? (I think the thread discussing this was from 2015)

I run the AD08R Yokohamas on mine and they are good enough in the rain for me. I got about 3500-4000 miles out of my rear Trofeos, and drove them in the rain without many problems (carefully!)

I have never had a problem. Just remember to be careful.

Never had a problem and I live in Texas where it is 105+ regularly. Get good ceramic tint and you will never have a problem.

I am not worried. It is probably fine the way it is.

5. It seems there isn't even a USB input for the stereo, even with the AC+Radio package, is that correct? Is that easy to add, or should I just put in an aftermarket system? (Not interested in high end install, but do want to hook up my ipod)

The stereo really sucks. Plan on changing it all out if you daily it. I am in the process of this myself.
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
well stated...+1
I owned a 2013 ZL1 and I like my Z/28 better. I know that missing the HUD and HIDs and other neato things is pretty annoying....

However, I don't really need a backup camera or any of that stuff anyway. The stereo in the ZL1 is just as crappy as the one in the Z/28. I don't miss mylink at all. The ZL1 might be faster over 140 mph(Take my word on it!), but in 100+ degree weather down here it isn't really faster stock for stock. The ZL1 does not have the front grip that the Z/28 does and the Z/28 brakes are worth the switch alone. The sound of the Z/28 is probably worth the switch alone!

If I could have bought a ZL1 with Z/28 tire size/wheels/brakes I might have done that.... but that wasn't an option. I don't miss my ZL1. The Goodyears on the ZL1 are scarier than the Trofeos in the rain 100%. The ZL1 tire size really sucks unless you like dropping ~1900$ on a set of tires to replace the terrible goodyears. The brake maintenance on the Z/28 is cheaper in the long run, It gets better fuel economy, is essentially just as fast, and is a better daily in many ways. If I really want a HUD or HIDs I can install them. I like the suspension on the Z/28 better because the ZL1 under steers like a barge on a streetable alignment with street tires.

I disagree with both of you. I would say the ATS-V is a better daily driver than both... but it isn't cheap!

Last edited by fhpchris; 07-30-2016 at 12:17 PM.
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #28
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhpchris View Post
I disagree with both of you. I would say the ATS-V is a better daily driver than both... but it isn't cheap!
Then again you need to love a Cadillac...even one that looks as sick as it does; which I admit is great. Its just my bias,but I'd rather have a true sports car like a corvette, or in the case of the Z/28...a muscle car that is also a track car. I've always told friends and family: I buy the engine and take the sheet metal that comes around it.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote